Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49422 times)

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. 2000 to go.
« Reply #495 on: February 12, 2014, 04:39:52 pm »

Hmm it seems that there is a special workshop called golem phorge, I have no idea what a golem is but it sames it takes the life of the dwarf for armok... hmmm I wonder if we could use gobbos or these gnome creatures. I will test later and where is my badger dogy!!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 12, 2014, 06:22:00 pm »

I laughed when I saw that massive staircase as well.  I assumed that whoever dug it out didn't notice they had up/down stairs selected instead of mine.  I like golems but they are a semi-questionable option for this fort with a dwarf sacrifice.  I know you want them assigned to squads before golemification so you can command them with the military and I'm not sure if the townportaled dwarves are showing up to be added for military service since there are issues with them showing up for noble screen.  Not to mention it's expensive to warp in a dwarf.  I personally think time would be better spent with idle dwarves buffing up on weight benches, getting the library system up and running so we can pretty much give each dwarf a mid level in each skill, including fighting and armor user so we can have a fully armed population should anything go wrong, and getting at least a few soldiers training every day of the year.  About a year of training every day will get two dwarves legendary in no time.  I'll take a legendary, rune covered adamantine wearing, poisoned blade wielding, extremely strong legion dwarf over a golem any day.

If we can get an adamatine golem working, it should be WAY better then even the elite soldiers you mentioned. Golems don't get tired and are very close to invulnerable it the material they're made of is good enough. Plus, part of my goals for this turn was to get as many new workshops as I could. If we can get the metals for it, I'd gladly sacrifice a dwarf(Probably Urist or maybe a named dwarf) to take out the demons. As for the legendary two dwarf squad, I started the axes of armok training.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 12, 2014, 06:29:12 pm »

And thats the end of my turn. I might sign up for another round later when I have more time to spend on DF. Sorry for taking twice as long as the rules say, I was not aware of the 1 week per turn rule.

Apology accepted.   :)  You did have people curious, though.

About that Golem Forge:  It isn’t there anymore.  Following down the central staircase leads to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That’s a marble anvil and a Research Report on golemforge making next to the olivine blocks and the open square above the magma sea.  I’ve seen outrageously expansive staircases before in succession forts but this one takes the cake ...  Next level down is the center of the large candy spire so, someday, it might be worth dropping down water from the level above to have access to the other hundred or so exposed edge tiles.  Before that, though, this fortress has two spires of adamantine and only one has been mined.  (I’m not spoiling anything, it’s already been revealed, you just have to zoom out the screens to notice the second.  Past Overseer’s privilege.   :)) )  There’s a lot of blue metal in ☼Cathedral☼.

I left the fortress with six Goblin invaders outside the walls and they’ve been replaced with 15 Human Imperial Bladeguards and one Imperial Bowguard riding a camel so migrant waves are still out but maybe a Legionnaire caravan could deal with them.  It’s mid-winter, all the water is frozen again.  Of the 21 dwarves, “Niku” is a Dead Man Walking, running around and babbling so there are actually only 20.  Three ghosts yet to be put to rest.  Many dorfs wearing worn clothing and complaining, some missing shoes.   8 have no job assignments and only one dwarf, a recent transportee, has clothesmaking skill enabled (he has 0 skill, 120 points experience).  I’d hoped the Others would light up in pretty colors with Rendermax but, not so much.  The wraiths continue to take out the corpsemen but are suffering casualties of their own.  Good times!
I thought migrants were out anyways because of how many units there were? Clothes is definitely the first priority, get everyone in some nice silk clothes fast. We have plenty of cloth lying around. I wouldn't spend the money on a Legion caravan. I'd just wait out the humans or wait for goblins to deal with them. Either that, or murderize them with the minecart grinder. Looks like the golemforge was destroyed be demons or something like that? Thats a pretty good summary of the forts condition. Actually, we have a decent amount of spring steel lying around, so maybe we could just lobotomize the newest migrants? Or use the prison to keep them in stasis until we have clothes for them?
Spooky Signature

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 12, 2014, 08:44:55 pm »

Or, make all of them armor with cheap metals. Also, are the frost wraiths procedurally generated demons or part of the mod?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 12, 2014, 08:50:54 pm »

Or, make all of them armor with cheap metals. Also, are the frost wraiths procedurally generated demons or part of the mod?

There is a frost wraith in the raws. There are also spirits of fire. Both of which are also vanilla demon names.

What is the description of the demon? If it is "A large gargoyle-like demon, made of ice and armed with vicious claws, horns, teeth and a barbed tail. It can also breathe cold at its enemies." then it is modded.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 12, 2014, 10:03:11 pm »

I saw my furry blood priests I think we should sacrifice a dwarf to become our new great golem masterpiece to which he will play out his part in the posts as that of a golem like.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 12, 2014, 10:28:14 pm »

There IS a ton of bad copper armor and short swords lying around ATM. Someone was trying to have weaponsmith and armorsmith as moodable skills for the new migrants. And since the fros twraiths have cold breath, I'm going to say they're part of the masterwork mod.
Spooky Signature

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 13, 2014, 12:45:59 am »

That was part of my 'Squires of Armok' program.  Cold-forge your copper armor and wear it until you have earned your steel.  Armor can replace clothing, but citizens brought in via portal can't be drafted until they kill something, produce a masterwork, or otherwise get a history.

(Idle thought: Hrm.  Does suffering a transformation result in a history?)

As far as the golemforge goes, here's what I'd do:  Tunnel into the staircase from the side in an area where the stairs are a single tile wide. Designate it with a 'remove up stairs' and follow up by building a wall there.  Presto, secured golem forge.

As far as who to Adamantine Golemize, I volunteer.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #503 on: February 13, 2014, 11:05:07 am »

You can also dig till 1 tile to the hammer-area full of frostwraith and start carving fortifications into the walls. Fully clothed archers should be ok against the frostbreath.

EDIT: Next turn will be Someones1235. Grimmash after that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:56:35 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 13, 2014, 03:49:40 pm »

That was part of my 'Squires of Armok' program.  Cold-forge your copper armor and wear it until you have earned your steel.  Armor can replace clothing, but citizens brought in via portal can't be drafted until they kill something, produce a masterwork, or otherwise get a history.

(Idle thought: Hrm.  Does suffering a transformation result in a history?)

As far as the golemforge goes, here's what I'd do:  Tunnel into the staircase from the side in an area where the stairs are a single tile wide. Designate it with a 'remove up stairs' and follow up by building a wall there.  Presto, secured golem forge.

As far as who to Adamantine Golemize, I volunteer.

I've already got an area near magma ready for use. And avdpos is on the last or maybe second last step of researching golems.
Spooky Signature

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 13, 2014, 11:03:19 pm »

I have begun playing. I have noticed two things.
1. The colors are weird. Which color set is being used?
2. Where is everything? There is absolutely no organization.
Also, where is the dump zone?
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 13, 2014, 11:15:44 pm »

1 Not sure about colors.

2 Its a bit overwhelming at first. I spent about 10-15 minutes looking it over before unpausing. There's a bunch of workshops at a central workshop level relatively near the surface, another set in the dining room and some forging stuff in the smelting complex below the dining room and if you press f2, it'll take you to where I was planning on putting the new magma workshop area. There's also a couple shops right below the surface, I think. I beliee there may be a dump zone in the quadrant to the left of my office with all the nether grour on top of it.
Spooky Signature

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 13, 2014, 11:34:52 pm »

I just summoned a goblin ambush to deal with the humans. Also, the bladecart has been forged. Where do I put it?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 14, 2014, 06:39:17 am »

1.  Default+.  But you can change colors to anything that suits you (just not the tileset).
2.  Shift-R, scroll down the listing and map.  There aren’t nearly as many dump zones as there used to be, trust me. 

Step the First:
Dumped and hidden: the stocks screen shows about half this fortress consists of forbidden goods.  Death items on the surface, OK, sure, but why are half the booze stocks forbidden?  Grimmash was flummoxed trying to find the many dump sites.  Now, me too -– z following dumped stone isn’t making things obvious so, all dumped stone is now un-dumped and hopefully that will eliminate some of those stacked hauling jobs that were keeping dorfs unnecessarily occupied.  Finding them all meant scrolling dozens of times through dozens of tabbed, inventory stock screens to zoom to their location and remove the zone.  I’m not trying to turn this into an episode of Drunk Fortress but that was a two beer job. 

Also, the bladecart has been forged. Where do I put it?

Where do you put it?  What, you doing stand up?   :)  Just a sidenote: it’s too bad nobody answered my question at the time of “why are half the booze stocks forbidden?” when the answer was “because it’s nether-cap poison, dummy.” 

A suggestion:
26 Hematite.
It took four days for L’Meire to die.  The Ice-hearted bastards just kept hitting her with metal staffs, over and over.  Spells, auras and breaths but no, they just kept hitting her, crushing her bones, her tissues, our spirit.  The sounds of her screaming kept the fortress awake at night.  No dwarf spoke of it for there was nothing that could be done.  Everyone just went about their jobs.  The bastards enjoyed it!  Their laughter and her screams, for four days.  The bastards.   

If any dwarf of ☼Cathedral☼ deserves a Memorial Hall, it’s L’her.

Anyway, g’luck!
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 14, 2014, 10:34:37 am »

Crappy copper armor! Perfect. Use the altar of armok. Set to sacrifice each type of armor on repeat and use ctrl+a to set the material as copper. Should net us some nice bloody armor of armok.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 46