Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49501 times)

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground.
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2014, 04:03:10 am »

So it is:
Meph 1
Mahrgell 2
LMeire 1
Talanic 2

So... we need one volunteer for sacrifice next year ^^ But like that we will last for a few more years :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2014, 05:15:36 am »

Do we have a player atm? I see an uploaded save by Talanic, Grimmash saying that he would like to give Splint his turn, and Splint not having quite decided if he wants to play the ghostly General or not.

So... its Splints turn now. Then maybe Grimmash, if he survives his burn out, otherwise its kamikazi1231. I will write Splint a message.

I am just downloading it. Maybe I can finish winter, and I certainly want a good look at the named dwarves and dead dwarves, to update that first post. :) (Yeah, I will finish the Winter if no one has a problem with that.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 06:48:36 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2014, 06:40:50 am »

Talanic’s PC is having graphics issues so there haven’t been screenshots.  I d/l’d the save in order to post these.

The bad news: FPS on my old laptop opens at 18/18 which is even lower than ☼Bannerheart☼, Meph’s volcano fortress that was abandoned as unplayable.  After three days game time, it drops to 9/9 when the fighting starts.  Surprisingly, SoundSense is still playing and it usually kicks out (for me) around 24.   

The good news: After two days game time, the School of Wizardry discovers teleportation so it’s possible to plan for summoning dwarves directly from Mountainhome. 

In ☼Bannerheart☼, I was able to take the FPS from 22 (temp off) to 50+ (temp on) but no one picked it up afterwards because Meph had by then released, like, 50 new versions. 

I have some ideas about bringing this back but my turn isn’t for several years and I’d like to hear comments first from others.  That staircase goes directly down and opens into the magma sea; I sealed it from only a few layers below the surface just to see if that affected anything and the 1,143 others – mostly undead – still show on the U screen and FPS was unaffected.  But that brass golem really holds his own down there …

These are mostly from the surface going down, after the opening screen from the d/l.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2014, 07:09:01 am »

Its slow, but I do have a plan.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2014, 08:02:00 am »

And done with the 1.5 months that were left.  :)

Here a little graphical summary:

And here the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8307

I was a bit shocked to see that neither the surface defenses nor the forges have been expanded since year 1, but we do have tons and tons and tons of food, drinks and animals. For 20 dwarves, so its save to assume that no one will starve for the next 100 ingame years. This also means we should probably stop food production.

What I did is just a few changed:
I removed the 2 miners and the lumberjack from the military, because they have uniform conflicts.
I walled and doored the entry to the curious structure, because people were getting spooked walking past the hole in the ground with all the zombies.
I watched both brass golems die, swamped by corpses.
I saw 2 frost giant ambushes, a (dead) drow caravan, and looked the gates.
We have 1 frost giant captive in a cage.
I made some iron bars, researched Metallurgy, build a Metallurgist, made Spring-Steel bars, build a Toolmaker, and queued up some precision tools. Also steel mechanisms. I researched the coin mint, after I build that brand new TownPortal and found out we have no coins. Nor gold. I started forging coins in the forge, then build a second forge and 2 taverns, to exchange the silver coins into gold coins. At the same time I started Alchemy Research, and I really, really hope that this gets finished. I assigned all moleweasel kits for the butcher, all cragtooth boars for war-training, penned all boars into one area, and put 3 changelings down near that zombie-hole. They are destined to become MAGMALINGS, to solve that issue once and for all. Lets just flood that damn structure with molten rock.

I also set all farms to fallow and made some oil for alchemy/chemistry, as well as some tools and crafts like Abacus, Mortar and Pestle, Jugs, small things we need for these workshops.

I forbid all slade, because it takes forever to haul it anywhere, and I forbid and walled of that large area that is empty and looks pretty, but doesnt do anything besides. I cancelled all the channel designations in it as well, instead sending the miners out to mine hematite, sphalerite and dig exploratory mining shafts in hunt for silver and gold. This is of high priority, because for each 5000 gold coins we get together, we can order a new worker from the mountainhomes. Time to stock up on dwarves. ;)

Thats about it. 3 researches done, about 8 buildings build and some changes in labor, and the gates are closed. The dwarven traders left in peace, but the drow got wiped out by Frost Giants.

Next Overseer: Maybe try the magma-heat-death of the the zombies. BUT I am not sure if they melt and die. I can only hope. There are currently 1060 of them in view.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:05:44 am by Meph »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2014, 08:06:55 am »

I dunno if they really will die from the magma, due to being undead. May take an obscenely long time for them to be incinerated while animate. And I guess I can take the turn. I'll get started tomorrow morning, I got some stuff to do today.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2014, 09:45:25 am »

I just need a weekend where I'm only worried about finishing forts i already have.  I'll be bck ine the roster soon, just not these next few days :).

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2014, 11:00:05 am »

They won't die. Don't even try it. But your FPS will go to hell even further if you start torching them.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2014, 11:43:51 am »

I thought MDF modded the game to make magma torch undead... Might have been annoteren mod...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2014, 12:24:07 pm »

Mh.. I tested it with the dfhack liquid spawner. Turns out that they are indeed magmaproof. They burn, but they dont die from it.  :-[

We can channel the walls a bit open, allowing that amethyst golem and the FBs to take on a few of them.

Maybe research white mages and hit them with a Witch Hunter and Lifemancer. They would have a field day.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2014, 12:37:13 pm »

I think it is one of Deon's mods that makes undead die from magma..

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2014, 02:23:20 pm »

Or make a NoFear miner via highpriest (themefitting) or bard and cave in the ceiling.... Most parts of the ceiling will actually strike through the floors in the structure, which should kill at least 80% of the undead.
Single FB's or mages wont do much vs 4000 undead. Those can be used for cleaning up the rest.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2014, 03:45:58 pm »

Dont underestimate the Witch Hunters. Every 100-300 ticks he will destroy an undead instantly. Station him on the ledge and watch the fireworks.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2014, 04:12:26 pm »

Marksdwarves fired down the hole when they were pitting some of the animals. 
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:15 pm »

I do like the idea of Operation: Domino.  That's what I am calling collapsing the floors onto the structure.  It has the simple beauty of using overwhelming force to destroy them.  Then mop up with Operation: White Lightning, the witch hunter.  It takes quite a while to get one of those, yes?  So it may be useful to get started on both.  We will need some hard to het mats for the white mage stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 46