Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To Toady: take a week off.... or three  (Read 1653 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To Toady: take a week off.... or three
« on: October 30, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

quote:
Status (10/29/2007): RSS Feed: I put up the new version today: new version. There are some lag issues, and at least one crash bug so far. I'll be working on these this week. On the other hand, I'm buried under a pile of email that I've let stack up during the push toward the release, and my programming schedule has also kept my feet off the ground for a long while, so I might take a bit to collect myself and get what little non-DF life I have into order. I guess the emails are all DF-related, so it's still my DF life, but I need to handle them. I've kind of forgotten what to do when I'm not working on games, so we'll see how long the break lasts. Maybe I'll watch a movie or something.

Topic says it all.  I hope I speak for everyone who appreciates Bay 12 and its games:

Toady, take a nice long vacation.  What's the point of being self-employed if you can't have time off?  Anyway, you're doing all of this for donations, and many of people are enjoying the game for free, so let the bug reports and questions pile up for a bit.  You are only obliged to meet the goals you set for yourself, and the goals you set for yourself are already massive enough.

You must have been working like a mad man for over eight months or more, and you made a wonderful release yesterday.  Just take it easy for a while, try to set normal sleeping hours, and go out while the weather is nice in the NW (never know how long that might last).  You're not in grad school anymore, so there are no pressing deadlines or projects due soon.  Take a long vacation (none of this "I'll go see a movie" nonsense)... you've earned it!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To Toady: take a week off.... or three
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 02:05:00 pm »

Normal sleeping hours are overrated. :P

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

Agreed!

Toady, keep it real.  Pop open a few beers and chillax to the max for a few weeks.  We'll be happy with the new version, and will still be here when you get back.

Morkilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 03:24:00 pm »

No kidding... have some fun, on the ten bucks I donated. I got the $20 worth I put forth last year many times over. I can't wait to get home and get started on my machinations.

LordRolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »

Ditto EVERY one above
teady Steps Clear Clouds.
Those who call those who dance, insane, just cannot hear the music

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »

I was thinking the same thing myself. You gotta take a break, or you'll go mad!

After your break, I suggest at least taking Saturdays and Sundays off, too. I've never before seen a programmer working on a freeware game put so much time and effort into the creation. It's amazing and inspiring but it has to be more then exhausting. =)

Edit: Make sure your break is lengthy and doesn't consist of standing around a statue garden.  :p

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

Serialized

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

Agreed, take a vacation and get some rest!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »

Seconding everyone else. Take a well-earned vacation - it's not like we don't have plenty to keep ourselves busy with in the meantime.  :) And afterwards, now that you're not rushing with this release try to work reasonable hours and get your sleep schedule back in order. This non-stop programming can't be good for your health...

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: Solara ]

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »

Congratulations on a herculean effort, Toady.  Considering the dedicated nature of DF devotees, it's possible they could have at least some of the bugs solved or at least worked around by the time you refocus on DF.   :D

I confess I'm torn between trying the new version and seeing how badly I can flame out or letting other brave fortressors break a little bit of a path.

DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »

He he, yeah, I dunno.  It's been like work the passed few months, since there's been and still is so much to clean up, but it's fun to add new things.  In any case, yeah, I did run myself a little thin here.  I think what I'm going to do is put up at least one crash/lag fix release sometime soonish, then take a week.  I'll still be doing forums and email since I can't afford to let pages of posts and pages of inbox to pile up.  Of course, as for what I'll do with that time...  probably mess around with other game ideas I've been sitting on.  Sad, but I don't have to worry about bugs or responsibility with those projects, so it's like a vacation.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 08:24:00 am »

Hurrah! The Toadmeister is relaxing.  Good for you. You deserve it  :)

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 08:48:00 am »

Toady I still got that hl2 gift thingie on steam in case you want to shoot up the evil mutant soldiers of the Combine.  :)

Nothing says vacation like running around dodging bullets, throwing explosive barrels with a portable gravity gun and shooting up evil mutants or zombies.

Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 09:31:00 am »

Its great to see that you are relaxing Toady, you definitely deserve it.
I will however say that I don't think people should tell Toady to rest, he knows best how he feels and what he wants to do.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 10:00:00 am »

Of course he does...it's just a way of saying how much we appreciate his efforts.    :D
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 10:49:00 am »

I'm glad to see that the workhorse gets a rest now and then  :)
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.
Pages: [1] 2