Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick question about vermin remains for macabre moods  (Read 670 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Quick question about vermin remains for macabre moods
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:19:17 pm »

Must they have bone, shell, or some other material you can make stuff out of? I've only ever had two macabre moods -- one failed for reasons unknown at the time, and the most recent produced a rat bone bracelet. I'm wondering now if the previous mood failed because I had only bug remains or similar.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Quick question about vermin remains for macabre moods
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 03:34:11 pm »

Not that I know of - it effectively requests REMAINS:NONE, so it shouldn't filter out any specific races (though it might get confused and choose a strange material). Next time, try using the DFHack "showmood" command if the dwarf is refusing to collect items to see exactly what is being requested.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 08:40:39 pm »

I'm going to necro this topic because I have a related question and this came up on the forum search.

Can dwarves with vermin preferences demand the remains of that kind of vermin (or it always REMAINS:[no creature specified])? Dwarves with material preferences will demand those materials if you've made them in-fortress, and vermin remains aren't importable.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 10:48:26 pm »

And once again, I'm going to answer your question. :)

As I recall, preferences do not come into play in this case - only Weavers/Clothiers, Metalworkers, Glassmakers, and Bone Carvers can have their base mood items influenced by preferences (similar logic also exists for Stoneworkers, but it doesn't actually do anything because it effectively forces "[pref_mattype]:*", which is guaranteed to be "INORGANIC:*").
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 08:30:19 am »

On top of that, I can't remember a time in recent versions where dwarves demanded a specific kind of material for a mood. I DO know that dwarves with material preferences, as Quietust mentioned, will go to the nearest stack of that for his needs, but if you forbid it it won't prevent him from selecting a different material. Hence why forbidding everything but adamantine wafers for a metal bar need won't drive metal workers insane.

As far as I know, the only truley finicky need in moods in this version is shells; even then, need for them is frightfully rare. I think they only get demanded if the dwarf has a preference for them.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 10:10:42 am »

I DO know that dwarves with material preferences, as Quietust mentioned, will go to the nearest stack of that for his needs, but if you forbid it it won't prevent him from selecting a different material. Hence why forbidding everything but adamantine wafers for a metal bar need won't drive metal workers insane.
The only way a moody metalworker's material preference can be ignored is if you haven't smelted any bars of their favorite metal - if you did, then forbidding it will just cause them to sit in their workshop until you unforbid it. As I mentioned above, material preferences only apply to the primary mood item.

There's also the fact that metalworker and clothier moods have an implicit preference for Adamantine and will insist on using them if you have any unforbidden wafers/cloth (note that, unlike explicit material preferences, this can be suppressed by forbidding all of the relevant items, but only before the strange mood actually triggers).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:12:27 am by Quietust »