Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 232122 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #810 on: May 30, 2021, 08:23:42 am »

Had an idea for a Mafia game:

Gender Wars: Millennial Edition

On a closed server at a prestigious Information Technology school, the topic of discussion is the upcoming candidates for Dean of the College. 
These men boys have had enough of women shoehorning on their turf, and intend to lobby strongly for a male candidate.

But on this server, the women have proven to be the superior hackers, and have been able to delete one account.  They seem capable of deleting one per night.
The men scared little boys have decided they must hunt out the Wonderwomen in their mists.  They intend to delete one account by popular vote each day until the mysterious deletions end.

Men boys - Town
Women Amazons - Mafia

Power rolls as they naturally flow from the above.

I've got no experience in any of this computer stuff, but thought it an interesting premise. [insert mandatory apology here]
EDIT: Fixed those descriptors.  In my mind, males who are afraid of a Woman in Power are just scared little boys, and forfeit the right to be called Men.
And since I was changing titles, I figured I'd upgrade the Women to Modern Amazons.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 31, 2021, 03:08:14 pm »

As my granddad used to say, "No man wants an Amazon."

Guessing the gender rebels are SKs or survivors? Thank you for the mandatory apology.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: May 31, 2021, 04:55:39 pm »

As my granddad used to say, "No man wants an Amazon."

Guessing the gender rebels are SKs or survivors? Thank you for the mandatory apology.

Probably survivors. SKs would be a sole hacker that wanted the server for themselves for whatever reason, likely unrelated to its original intent.

Granddad was wrong if he was referring to the modern interpretation, or perhaps right if referring to the ancient versions. 
It depends on whether or not they have 2 breasts.  The ancient ones didn't.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #813 on: June 03, 2021, 01:29:39 am »

Random idea: tower defence mafia...
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 03, 2021, 05:45:12 am »

Random idea: tower defence mafia...
Here's how it might work: all the players are in the tower and each night they lay down defences in advance of an enemy attack phase. Some of the players are traitors working for the enemy and their goal is to leave weaknesses in the defense. Perhaps they know in advance the attack patterns of the enemy. Possibly each time enemies get through, one of the defenders dies or the health of the town decreases.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 03, 2021, 12:14:02 pm »

Oh, I'm liking this idea!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 03, 2021, 12:59:32 pm »

+1 to Mafia Tower Defense Game!

What if it was a criminal organization that was under siege by the Cops?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 03, 2021, 01:46:21 pm »

Hmm, like... I dunno... a syndicate? Mafia?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 03, 2021, 01:52:00 pm »

OK here's a stab at some Tower Defence rules:

Players are a criminal gang, holding out at a a big office block after a heist, waiting for helicopter getaway to arrive. They need to hold down the tower from the cops. But there are a couple of stool pigeons or undercover cops among them that want to sabotage their defences.

Game has normal two phases: day/night. At the end of each day players vote to eliminate traitors; at night everyone uses their actions. At the end of the night, the cops raid. If any cops get in, somebody in the gang is snatched by the cops (the traitors get to pick who).

There are a number of entry ways in, some of which start blocked. At night everyone can do 1 of these actions:

- defend one of the entryways
- put up a barricade (completed at the end of the night)

Additionally, the traitors can each do one of the following:
- destroy a barricade
- learn the attack pattern for the following attack phase
- direct the cops to attack a specific entryway (this replaces one of their existing attacks at random

Cops have an attack power: if it exceeds the strength of the defenders or a wall, they break through. Different waves will focus their strength in different areas. Maybe a boss wave (?) at N3?

What can we do to make that more tower defensivey? Should town have additional roles?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 03, 2021, 02:08:27 pm »

It definitely needs more to really feel "Tower Defense" in more than just theme. I'll ponder it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 03, 2021, 02:12:14 pm »

Reading "barricades" reminds me of the board game "The Dead of Winter", a zombie survival game where some players could be traitors. Really fun, but takes forever to set up... It had some interesting mechanics, like "voting someone out" didn't kill them, just removed them from the compound, and gave them a different goal. Probably not too relevant for a "tower defense" game, though - and agree with Meph.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 03, 2021, 02:18:49 pm »

The core part would be the map.

Spoiler: Rough Example (click to show/hide)

What else do tower defences have? Mooks, increasing waves, resource drops and upgrades? Turrets?

I've played Dead of Winter and it has a lot of overlap with mafia stuff. Bit too much dice rolling to work well on forum, but something like it could happen.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 03, 2021, 02:43:16 pm »

Ok, so let's break this down a bit. Town has three major things it can do here:
1) Stop creeps from getting in
2) Gather information on who the Traitors are
3) Stop someone from dying

Optional things would Block potential traitors and even Kill.

Barricades are a good idea. That gives all townies something to do.
You could also have a riskier role that actively kills creeps (stronger deterrence for the next night), but if too many come in from that side they get overwhelmed and taken out.

Doc role could be handy but has to be balanced with the Doc not helping with the barricades.

So we basically have two pressures on the town: Stopping the immediate threat of the creeps and the long term threat of the Scum.

Hmm...a normal tower defense has a gradual increase of power, both on the Tower side and the Creep side. Here we have the opposite. Town will be constantly losing people, and thus have less and less ability to stop the Creeps from getting in each night. So figuring out the balance of Creep power will be important.

You also have the issue of how much information the town gets about what happened the night before. Because you don't want it to be trivial to determine who the Traitors are just by setting up a "Player A barricades slot 1. Player B barricades slot 2. Etc." and then lynching whoever didn't do what they said.

Easy solution to that is just let the players know the state in the morning of the barricades and any breaches. So a well barricaded spot may be down two levels of defense, but is that because a Traitor took one down or because the Creeps hit it hard during the night and it held?

Could be a neat role that gets to see exactly what happens to a given entrance on a night, though.

I'll keep thinking about it. But it's got good potential.
Come play Mafia with us!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 04, 2021, 06:46:28 am »

Yeah I agree the players shouldn't know (outside of using a night action) how the creeps got in and what happened at any given barricade, they should just see the results at the start of each day.

To lean more into the theme, the town's capacity to defend should increase, even as their numbers decline: that way you can have ever increasing waves but still be able to fairly counter them. This could be done by upgrades: after each wave the town could have additional free actions, like additional barricades, boobytraps, extra lives etc. These could be handed out privately to players, to allow scum to lie about what they have (like if town really need more barricades down, scum could lie about having received some or act helpful as they see fit). Kind of like how cards work in Dead of Winter.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 04, 2021, 10:18:00 am »

Yeah, that could be good. Flavor-wise it could be like "You managed to finish cobbling together that spiked barrier" or whatever.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 62