Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 231894 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #420 on: October 14, 2015, 09:19:27 am »

There was a game where I was confirmed town by the mod and was first to be lynched on D1. If you tell players something in an otherwise-hidden setting, they'll think there's a catch. Unless you're super clear that all public information is true.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 14, 2015, 09:20:56 am »

I've long pondered a set-up where everyone has two 'roles'. A public one with a known ability and their private one with standard abilities/faction/etc.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 14, 2015, 09:35:26 am »

That could work! So maybe both roles would give them an ability but they can only use one ability per night. The abilities could be devised to maximise fake-claiming deviousness.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 14, 2015, 10:14:32 am »

Can I get some critique about my idea earlier?
Hello everybody! Long time, no see. I have an idea for an interesting mafia game.

There will be 2 scum, and 9 town. Each townie, however will be using another randomly selected townie to vote for them, without knowing whose vote they have.. The scum will use their own votes as usual. This only really comes into effect when a townie dies. At that point, whoever has the dead townies vote will no longer work, although they will not know that at first. The vote will not appear on the final tally, or be considered for the lynch. Obviously, the dead townie will not be able to use their vote, even if the townie that their vote comes from is still alive.

This has two effects: having a townie killed will often result in the town losing two votes, but it also creates an interesting way of confirming townies, since scum vote for themselves. The scum will have two abilities, a night kill, and a one-shot shuffle. The shuffle is a day ability that must have unanimous consensus among the scum team that will change who's vote the townies are using. It will come into effect after the votes have been placed, but right before the votes are tallied. The town will not be aware when this happens. It will only shuffle votes between the still-living townies so it is only useful in certain circumstances.

I think this will be interesting because it will require alot of thinking for both the town and the scum. If there is a massive flaw, please let me know. Cheers!
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 14, 2015, 11:33:07 am »

I can't really think of any glaring flaws; LYLO/MYLO may have some strange interactions with that twist...
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 14, 2015, 11:45:38 am »

I think the town/(scum+town) ratio is too high. 9/11 is T-sided.

Have you tried playing it out on paper with random strategies (i.e. everyone votes randomly, scum vote for a random townie)? That should give a good idea of the ratio. Remember that 1 dead mafioso is 50% of the scum team in your case, which would basically make it impossible to win for scum in the early game. However, it's very possible to have a confirmed scum victory on turn 4 (5?) given townies might have no votes left by that point.

Basically, the "high mortality" makes this game very snowball-y.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 14, 2015, 11:54:35 am »

I think the town/(scum+town) ratio is too high. 9/11 is T-sided.

Have you tried playing it out on paper with random strategies (i.e. everyone votes randomly, scum vote for a random townie)? That should give a good idea of the ratio. Remember that 1 dead mafioso is 50% of the scum team in your case, which would basically make it impossible to win for scum in the early game. However, it's very possible to have a confirmed scum victory on turn 4 (5?) given townies might have no votes left by that point.

Basically, the "high mortality" makes this game very snowball-y.
I have run a few simulations and it was usually either a definite win by town or a definite win by scum. But almost evenly split.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 14, 2015, 12:01:51 pm »

Seems like a reasonably interesting set up to me. I can't see any obvious flaws.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 14, 2015, 12:18:33 pm »

Thanks. I'll put it in the threshhold for after a few games here end.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 24, 2015, 09:01:52 pm »

I came up with a idea, but i'm not sure how(and if) will this work.

There is 2 teams with 2 members trying to kill the other team. A member team could NK, but the other could only inspect(only town or not)+track the targetted person.
About the slots, 3 or 4 mafia players, 2 players on team 1, 2 players on team 2 and 9 Townie players.
Any ideas to balance that? If the teams mix up well with townie, it is effectively 3 or 4 mafia v 2 vig, 2 cop and 9 other townies. Do i need to reduce the number of townies or what?
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 28, 2015, 01:01:20 pm »

So, with the wrap-up of THE SYSTEM I've been pondering a non-bastard game that uses the post editing as a core mechanic. I'd like to see what everyone's thoughts are. Bear in mind that these are very rough thoughts at the moment.

In general I'm going to be going for less actual post corruption this time and more for deliberate changes as well as an idea of spreading 'corruption' that isn't content corruption but color based.

The basic idea is that the Scum Team are trying to corrupt everything for some purpose. Instead of a normal night kill, they will have the ability to Corrupt posts. That corruption can then spread to other posts.

Corruption will have three levels - Mild, Serious, and Dangerous.
  Directly Corrupted posts will have Serious corruption, and any posts quoted by that post will have Mild Corruption. A post that is corrupted again will increase in severity. A post that is at Dangerous corruption that is Corrupted again will Kill the poster.

The town will have powers that can stop, slow, or cure Corruption.

There will also be some players who have the ability to Change aspects of a previous post. This might be changing around the Names of players in a post or swapping some quotes out with quotes from different posts.
Come play Mafia with us!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 28, 2015, 01:05:14 pm »

My instant question is: how do you do post-editing for the players? Do you with your god-powers do it (most likely :P) or do you PM them what they have to do?

I also almost forgot you have those god-powers.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 28, 2015, 01:10:38 pm »

My instant question is: how do you do post-editing for the players? Do you with your god-powers do it (most likely :P) or do you PM them what they have to do?

I also almost forgot you have those god-powers.

I have god powers. In THE SYSTEM I was actually editing some stuff without the players knowing they were causing it.
Come play Mafia with us!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 28, 2015, 05:21:06 pm »

I'm definitely interested in the possibility of post editing here. I'd like the mafia to be able to change the specific wording in people's posts. Get them to say incriminating things. To ratchet up the tension, each time a post is edited, the mod could pick two other nearby posts and click edit but not change anything.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 28, 2015, 11:16:27 pm »

Post editing could get crazy.

To everyone reading this thread: I am the sort of person with huge numbers of game ideas and designs but insufficient time to run them.
That includes mafia ideas.
Would anyone like for me to design a mafia game for them?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 62