Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 231877 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #405 on: June 05, 2015, 09:11:18 am »

That is a problem. Maybe the serial killer wins if he survives until the end of the game?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 05, 2015, 09:28:43 am »

But then the SK could just claim and then not kill.

Maybe have the SK win and have everyone else lose when the game ends if he is still alive?

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 05, 2015, 09:32:28 am »

But then the SK could just claim and then not kill.

Maybe have the SK win and have everyone else lose when the game ends if he is still alive?
I suppose that would work, then the people would try to kill him. Good idea.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 04, 2015, 06:55:08 pm »

After I play a few games of mafia here I intend to host a certain few very interesting games, not of the normal sort.

My first idea: the players are mages studying to become full wizards at the Quadrivium, but three of their numbers are traitors, of the Malus sort. What would make this game unique: each player has an element, and kills made with an element display clearly(most of the time) using that element. Players can learn other players' elements easier than alignments. Most roles don't have active abilities granted as part of the role(the third-party being an exception), but the players do have items, and sometimes role adjectives, to aid them(or hinder for some of the adjectives.) I've got full setup information(mostly) that I'm willing to discuss with any experienced player. 13 players.

My second idea: this one is one that would be called "bastard", and it is such that I don't want to discuss this in the open. 9 players.

My third idea: Rules Mafia. Constructed like normal mafia, but with one twist: each player has a game-changing rule associated with them, which toggles when they die. It may start true or false(active or inactive). Three of the players(two mafia, one town) can change their rule's on or off state during the night. Nine players.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 14, 2015, 09:40:30 pm »

Among those gathered in the rather smelly locker room was Loud Whispers, named after his peculiar way of speech. Emuridan, from where he hailed was a notable source of Luchabowl contestants. This year, however, only two competitors from that land were participating, Loud Whispers himself, and a dreaded an mysterious fighter known only as The Miroslav.
Well, now I want to see a CK2 Miroslav based Mafia game. Now I just need to figure out how.

(Context: Loud Whispers played a Crusader Kings II game where he replaced every ruler with one of his Serbian Miroslav dynasty. Then he did the same thing in the Game of Thrones mod for the game, and now he's going for it in a post-apocalyptic America mod)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 31, 2015, 11:14:51 pm »

So I have an idea for a bastard mafia but have never run a game before, any suggestions, I'm in 2 the C++ and one that hasn't started yet the Church one
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 01, 2015, 08:53:47 am »

any suggestions
Play a few more games, maybe run a beginner's or mountainous game first to get your feet wet. 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 01, 2015, 11:43:45 am »

Yeah. Bastard games can be interesting, but you really have to know what you're doing to make them actively fun and not just frustrating for the players. So, certainly play some more games and mod at least one regular before trying to mod a bastard game. Also, read through a bunch of the previous bastard games to get a sense of what works well and what doesn't.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 01, 2015, 12:17:32 pm »

All bastard games are harder than what the creator envisions.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 01, 2015, 12:38:39 pm »

Okay, I've read through a lot of the notable games thread and I think after the games I'm in are done I'll run an open setup once or twice see how it goes, then try my bastard mode.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 02, 2015, 01:05:59 am »

Yeah, it's a good idea to try running something simple first before something complex.  Modding is a very different experience from playing, and a simple setup is a good way to try it out.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 19, 2015, 11:16:37 pm »

I remember there was a thread that I read that explained exactly what a bastard mod is. I can't seem to find it anymore, and that frustrates me. Does anyone know where I can find that wonderful description?

((Insert something witty here.))
It would be this thread, first post, in the spoiler. My post should put this at the top, since you're browsing random stickies in search of this thread you should see this post.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 24, 2015, 09:15:03 pm »

Hello everybody! Long time, no see. I have an idea for an interesting mafia game.

There will be 2 scum, and 9 town. Each townie, however will be using another randomly selected townie to vote for them, without knowing whose vote they have.. The scum will use their own votes as usual. This only really comes into effect when a townie dies. At that point, whoever has the dead townies vote will no longer work, although they will not know that at first. The vote will not appear on the final tally, or be considered for the lynch. Obviously, the dead townie will not be able to use their vote, even if the townie that their vote comes from is still alive.

This has two effects: having a townie killed will often result in the town losing two votes, but it also creates an interesting way of confirming townies, since scum vote for themselves. The scum will have two abilities, a night kill, and a one-shot shuffle. The shuffle is a day ability that must have unanimous consensus among the scum team that will change who's vote the townies are using. It will come into effect after the votes have been placed, but right before the votes are tallied. The town will not be aware when this happens. It will only shuffle votes between the still-living townies so it is only useful in certain circumstances.

I think this will be interesting because it will require alot of thinking for both the town and the scum. If there is a massive flaw, please let me know. Cheers!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 14, 2015, 08:13:13 am »

All bastard games are harder than what the creator envisions.
Basically, this.

Twitter:  Maximum 140 characters per post.  Cannot double post.
That game was fun. Totally not biased.

What are everyone's opinions on publicly available information in a game, i.e. "Tiruin is mafia" being declared at the beginning of the game, as part of the setup.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 14, 2015, 09:12:57 am »

It would be interesting, and it has been done before (Kill webadict Now Mafia)

The problem is people would be cautious because you told them this
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 62