Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 231980 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2014, 12:00:21 am »

We do have a confirmed # of scum, right? Like, 2?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2014, 12:05:03 am »

I thought it was 3?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2014, 12:11:54 am »

I meant in NQT's game-he mentioned he'd take at least 7 and all.
So I'm asking (here) instead.  :)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2014, 12:14:22 am »

Oh. In that case I expect that he will inform us when he starts the game, so he knows how many players there will be.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2014, 05:38:20 am »

That's right: it depends on number of players but there will be known number of scum.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2014, 12:11:45 am »

Yeah I guess that works out.  And if you pick a super specialized scum build you'd have more trouble when massclaiming (town should really massclaim immediately for this reason, the sooner they take out the mafia's conversion power the better).

e: actually Fortune Teller makes it basically impossible for scum to falseclaim at all.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:15:54 am by Leafsnail »

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2014, 12:22:58 am »

On the other hand, there's plenty of ways to force power changes, even during the day.  DayRecycle, for example, could be fun.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Ninja vs Samurai Mafia Idea: Feedback wanted
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2014, 05:55:07 am »

So Ninja and Samurai are apparently a 'big thing' in 'popular culture'.
So I wanted to try and make a game based around 14th century feudal japan.

I've got a few ideas for roles which I think of as being pretty interesting, but unfortunately due to my inexperience I worry about making a broken game.
So, if anyone with a few more games under their belt would be willing to help me balance this thing, that would be excellent.

Quote from: Changes to General rules
Just one:
As with extending, a person can choose to commit Honorable Suicide. They will die, but the day will immediately end.
[poss: in addition, any votes you cast before ending your own life will count as two/three] (Could be used by the mafia as a daykill)
[poss: As with your suicide your crimes are absolved, regardless of your alignment you will be revealed as town/neutral] (Only seems to benefit mafia)

Quote from: Town Roles
1. Samurai (modified doctor)
Action: During the night you can choose to protect someone, which will defend them against any hostile actions. However, once you have chosen a person to protect, you are then bonded to them and can only protect that singular person until game end or they die by some other means (lynching, usually).
If you accidentally swear fealty to a ninja, tough luck, you become a scum too- regardless of whom you bond yourself to afterwards..

2. Metsuke (cop)
Action: During the night you can choose to inspect someone. You will be told their alignment, but not any abilities that they may have.

4. Lord (Vanilla Townie)
Quote from: Mafia Roles
1. Ninja (Vanilla Mafia)

2. Oni-Ninja (Modified blocker)
Action: During the night you can choose to terrify someone. This will prevent them from using their ability that night, or casting a vote the next day
[poss: Rather than simply not having their vote counted, the victim themselves must not vote, or the next night they are a free kill for the Mafia/or they die on the spot] (Adds uncertainty)
Quote from: Neutral roles (Can be given to either)
1. Komuso
Passive: If you are inspected or killed, it will be revealed that you were a mendicant monk, however your alignment as Town/Mafia will not be revealed.
[poss: there can be as many as up to 3 Komuso monks in play] (REVEL IN THE UNCERTAINTY)

2. Arquebusier
Action: Once a day, or night, you can make a kill. However, these foreign fire-throwers are anything but silent, and everybody will know that you are the Arquebusier.
[poss= make scum/town only] (Removes element of uncertainty, hinders scum)
[poss= due to massive reloading times, it cannot be used on successive night/day]
[poss= at night, others will be informed of the arquebusier's kill before any other actions are taken, and be given the option to change their actions accordingly] (Role becomes significantly weaker)
[poss= If used at day, it has a ~% chance to miss, and kill another random person] (Becomes stronger for scum)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. But on general principle, does it seem like it would be a fun game type to play?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:16:12 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Ninja vs Samurai Mafia Idea: Feedback wanted
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2014, 09:47:05 am »

It seems interesting, however I think you would get more feedback if you posted this in the Mafia Setup Discussion Thread
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:39 pm »

I agree. Merged.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2014, 08:41:11 pm »

There is literally no reason why anyone would choose ritual suicide.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2014, 09:01:00 pm »

I'd say the opposite: town should force a ritual suicide every day.  It's basically a double lynch.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2014, 09:22:53 pm »

I thought no one would be lynched in a suicide. Disregard my previous post.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2014, 01:35:42 pm »

In preparation for the game to be put in signups, because it probably will be within a couple of weeks, I'm going to run the final version of The Home Front by everyone:

The roles:
5 vanilla patriots: win when the protesters have been lynched, no special powers
1 patriot organizer: Inspects the loyalty of players, wins when the protesters have been lynched
1 Protester: scumteam, no powers
1 Protest Organizer: scumteam, can inspect loyalty
1 Military Recruiter: The military recruiter can, once per night, recruit another player into the military.  This gives them the soldier status, which makes them turn up "soldier" to any loyalty or role investigations.  The powers and alignments of the players do not change.  He wins if the game ends with all alive players recruited and the patriots win.  An attempt to recruit an extremist results in a roleblock on both players, preventing any kills as well as nullifying the recruitment, UNLESS the extremist had targeted a kill at the military recruiter, in which case the military recruiter dies.  The foreign spy is not recruited, but the military recruiter believes that they are.  For ALL purposes, they are a soldier, including inspection.  They have a quicktopic to the Police Chief.
1 Foreign Spy: The foreign spy can, as a night action, bus two players, so that all actions used on one go to the other.  The users of said actions will know their final target.  He is a protester-ally, winning if the protesters win, and knows the identity of the two protesters, but is not himself a protester, so cannot speak in the chat (or even see it) or perform the scumkill.  He shows protester to inspects.
1 Extreme Patriot: The extreme patriot wants the foreign spy and the extreme protester dead.  He has a night kill to accomplish this, but loses immediately if he kills a soldier.  He flips patriot to inspects and wins if the game ends in a town win with the foreign spy and extreme protester dead.
1 Extreme Protester: The extreme protester wants the military recruiter and the extreme patriot dead.  He has a night kill to accomplish this, but immediately loses if he kills a protester or the foreign spy.  He wins if the protesters win and the military recruiter and extreme patriot are dead.  He is not a member of the scumteam, and thus cannot use the mafiakill or talk in the quickchat.  He does not know the identities of the protesters.  He shows protester to inspects.
1 Police Chief: The police chief cannot abide by the actions of the extremists and wants them gone.  He can inspect the role of one player per night (vanilla town or protester shows up vanilla, town and protester cops show up cop).  He wins if both extremists and the foreign spy are dead at the end of the game, whether or not he is alive.  He does not know who the military recruiter is.  He shows patriot to inspects.  He has a quicktopic to the military recruiter and is considered a soldier for all purposes EXCEPT the lose condition of the extreme patriot.

the mafia have their own quickchat topic, naturally.  The game ends when both protesters or all six patriots have been eliminated, regardless of remaining allies.
So: opinions?  Suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 02:26:21 pm by 4maskwolf »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2014, 01:39:33 pm »

Yess...4mask gameTM
Looks good enough to run that certain powerroles don't prevent utter winning, and that players = power through words.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 62