Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 232032 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 05:46:50 am »

MEGA CLAIM MAFIA

Each player has an Alignment (scum or town) and an Ability. The Alignment stays the same throughout the game, but the player's Ability changes at the start of each day. The list of Abilities is known by all. The assignment of Abilities each day is completely random, but there are some Abilities that only scum can possess. There are no Abilities that only town can possess. Up to two players may possess the same Ability.

Every player has three lives.

Each day, the players vote to see who they'd like removed from the game. Also, each day everyone claims or fakeclaims what Ability they have. If the person who is up for the lynch told the truth about their Ability, they'll only lose one life. If they lied or refused to Claim, they'll lose all remaining lives.

Besides their other Abilities, scum have a nightkill. If the person they choose has told the truth about their Abilities or hasn't claimed at all, that person will lose all their remaining lives. If they've lied about their Abilities, they'll only lose one life.

As such, town who want to avoid being night killed, have an incentive to lie. Scum who want to avoid being lynched, have an incentive to tell the truth (though, the existence of scum-only abilities means they won't always want to tell the truth).

Town all have the additional Day-Ability to stake their lives on a lynch: this makes the lynch completely fatal regardless of whether the person being lynched is telling the truth. If the person lynched wasn't scum, however, the player who made the stake also dies. This allows town to win in LYLO situations against truth-telling scum.

The Abilities aren't all beneficial, and many can be confirmed by other player's night actions. I'm still finalising the list, but it'll be fairly lengthy.

The game proceeds until only town or scum are alive.

What do people reckon?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2014, 08:43:58 am »

I would play this. It seems like an interesting concept, presuming the abilities are balanced.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2014, 10:52:08 am »

So the abilities I'm considering right now are:

Spoiler: Ability List (click to show/hide)

The abilities are such that fakeclaiming should be plausible for almost any given Ability. (You could claim to Donate when you really have Feast etc.)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2014, 07:48:40 pm »

Sounds pretty rad.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2014, 10:19:11 am »

Notes and issues:

Ability inspect seems worthless as whatever ability you inspected is almost certainly going to be different the next day.  I suppose it could verify a claim on one day, but still seems weak.

I don't really see why you would lie about having Honesty ever. 

Having three lives (and several abilities to regain lives) makes me think this game could go on for a very, very long time. 

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2014, 10:46:02 am »

Shakerag—

Ability inspects help confirm whether someone was truthfully claiming, and help figure out what their night action was, so it's still pretty useful (not that all abilities have to be useful— getting 'miller' is always a pain).

That's the thing: players can be pretty sure that someone claiming Honesty is telling the truth, which makes them an obvious target for scum at night. A player with three lives and Mirror might want to lie about having honesty if they want to draw the scum kill, for instance.

Players that lie during the day and are lynched, or players that tell the truth and are night killed lose all their lives, just like in regular mafia. I think this might be a better game for a smaller player base (like, 7 players).

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2014, 10:08:13 pm »

I assume attack and sap are both kill abilities?

Also, if you kill buff someone who uses donate, do they kill themselves?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2014, 03:25:06 am »

Yes, that could be clearer.

I'll reword it to 'any ability used by the target that would cause a player to lose a life, causes that player to lose all their lives instead', clearly including donate as well.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2014, 04:13:18 pm »

MEGA CLAIM MAFIA
I can see what you're going for here, but
- The massclaim is basically worthless because every townie is going to lie
- The game would be incredibly slow due to the fact that most people would need to die three times
- The mafia would probably lose hard, since a) every townie would have three lives all the time and they sometimes wouldn't and b) investigative abilities would really stack up over the course of the very long game

I like the idea though, if you could think of an incentive other than additional lives it could work.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2014, 08:23:28 pm »

MEGA CLAIM MAFIA
I can see what you're going for here, but
- The massclaim is basically worthless because every townie is going to lie
- The game would be incredibly slow due to the fact that most people would need to die three times
- The mafia would probably lose hard, since a) every townie would have three lives all the time and they sometimes wouldn't and b) investigative abilities would really stack up over the course of the very long game

I like the idea though, if you could think of an incentive other than additional lives it could work.
I have an objection to point one: if the townie lies, then if they would be lynched they would lost immediately.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2014, 08:47:51 pm »

Right, I did misread the rules somewhat.  But I still think the townies should basically always lie, surviving a lynch just means you'll waste tomorrow's as well.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2014, 04:17:09 pm »

Another game proposition:
Wizard Duel: 4maskwolf edition
Before you ask, yes, I got permission from Mephansteras before doing this.

For those of you who didn't know how wizard duel worked (go read the series of games if you haven't, they are awesome), it was a very different kind of mafia game.  The goal of the game was to become the head wizard by being last mage standing, but also to eliminate the scumteam.  Every wizard had a set of stats, and your role would either give you stat boosts or side actions (I'll get to that in a second).  At the start of the game, after receiving your role, you chose a flavor color for your runes, your magic elemental affinity(I'll get to this in a moment too), and other flavor about your wizard.  You had two votes during the day, and the two people who had the most votes at the end of the day would be thrown into the arena to fight one another.  Every other player could choose to assist a statistic with an element, the duelists chose the element they were using in the battle, and each player with a side action could choose a target for that action.
Elements were important in the duels for several reasons.  Elemental affinity was usually kept a secret, because if your opponent in the duel chose to use the element opposite yours they would inflict double damage, while if they chose yours they would do half damage.  Air and earth were opposites, as were water and fire.
There was a scumteam: the dark mages, who had used forbidden magic to enhance their abilities.  They had a factional kill during the assist declaration phase, but they had to remember that the main goal was to become high mage by being the last mage standing.
Elements were also tied to assists.  An assist to a statistic with its corresponding element was worth +2, while any other assist was +1.  If you assisted with that player's element, you doubled the assist, and an opposed element assist gave half bonus, rounded down.  Water corresponded to healing, fire to attack, earth to defense, and air to speed.
A normal wizard had the following stats, and the dark mages had +1 to all stats but healing above and beyond this:
Attack: 10
Defense: 10
Speed: 10
Health: 20
Healing: 0

Your role could give you a boost to some or all of these abilities.
There were a few technical rules beyond this, but this is the essence of wizard duel.

Now, about the 4maskwolf edition.  The 4maskwolf version has a slightly modified system of playing the game, as follows:
13 players instead of 12.
A role rework.
Celestial mage is no longer a role, but an alignment, similar to dark mage.

The role rework is the most important thing.  When you get your role, you may choose a certain number of abilities from the following list:
Spoiler: Long abilities list (click to show/hide)

Magic abilities are selected by the player, the number is determined by your role:
Standard mage: 1 normal
War mage: 1 attack and 1 normal
Battle mage: 1 defense and 1 normal
Time mage: 1 time and 1 normal
Warrior mage: 1 healing and 1 normal
Diviner: 1 divination and 1 normal
Enchanter: 1 enchantment and 1 normal
Alchemist: 1 alchemy and 1 normal
Archmage: 3 normal

There can be multiple of a given type, with standard being the most common.  On top of your role, you can also be a dark mage or a celestial mage.  Dark mages can select any of their normal magics from the dark magics section and can choose dark as an element, and celestial mages can select any of their normal magics from the celestial magics list and can choose light as an element.  There are three dark mages and one celestial mage in a given game.  All of the rules for light and dark magic are the same from the original wizard duel games, mainly three and four.

What does everyone think?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2014, 12:21:25 pm »

Regarding Mega Claim-- on reflection, I think players would just fake claim on the day unless they were up for the lynch, and then truthfully claim the previous day. More consideration needed...

As for Wizard Duel: how did the original Wizard Duel games go, what do you intend to fix with your changes?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2014, 12:52:18 pm »

Regarding Mega Claim-- on reflection, I think players would just fake claim on the day unless they were up for the lynch, and then truthfully claim the previous day. More consideration needed...

As for Wizard Duel: how did the original Wizard Duel games go, what do you intend to fix with your changes?
The primary problem the wizard duel games had was not the mechanics so much as the town reliance on said mechanics.  That, and in the first two games dark mages were too powerful and in the third game there were too many of them.

I'm basically just making the system a little more modular and streamlined, to try to prevent the town trying to rely on what roles they get: without a mass claim, even if someone has a role you don't know what their abilities are.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2014, 01:07:52 pm »

Hmm... While I was on a run, I thought up another mafia idea: Choose your own mafia.

It is a fairly standard mafia game during gameplay, but the catch comes in before the game starts.  The mod has a flavor of setting in mind (wizards, middle ages, dwarf fortress, modern day, etc.) and comes up with a list of role archetypes to go with it.  For the sake of the mod's sanity, let's go with a 7 player game.

The mod sends out one role archetype to the players along with a preliminary multiple-choice question about the character with it.  Let's say, for instance, that the setting was modern day and the archetype was criminal.  The question might say something like:
What was your first criminal activity?
A. I stole my neighbor's car
B. I stole a game from the local store
C. I robbed the bank
then, for each answer, the mod has another question prepared.  Let's say for example the player answered A:
Why did you choose to steal the car?
A. I wanted to impress my dad.
B. I thought it would be funny
C. It was a really nice car
This can go on for as many iterations of questions as the mod feels like preparing for.  At the end of the questions, you get a formal role pm with your ability on it, as determined by your answers.

Of course, this requires a LOT of front-end work by the mod. They have to plan out all of the question trees and what abilities are gotten from each, as well as making sure there is a relative balance between players.  Not all of the abilities have to be different, but there should be enough of a difference that the choices the player makes make a difference.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 62