Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 62

Author Topic: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review  (Read 231872 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Setup Discussion and Review
« Reply #330 on: January 16, 2015, 06:23:51 pm »

Ooh... you could have all the players on a ranking (listen at the start of each day?) of order of precedence, and all the powers in a list of resolution order, with powers that shunt people up or down, or swap two people's places, one-shot flip the list; and powers that make make kills go first or skip a step etc etc. In order for it to work, I'd think all players would have to have similar offensive powers to one another such that it was crucial who shot first.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 16, 2015, 06:40:23 pm »

I wasn't thinking so much on changing players' priorities, but that's a thought too. 

Obviously it would have to be power heavy for it to have much of an impact.  Maybe even allowing multiple actions per night phase.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 16, 2015, 08:53:41 pm »

Maybe even allowing multiple actions per night phase.
That would make sense. If the current ordering is a mystery though, things will be a bit of a crapshoot.

So I'm looking at CYOM 3. I've been toying with including professions: templates that would give players some powers cheaper, a free auto that can't be tampered with. Something like this:

People would still be able to build what they like, but they'd have an incentive to work with their professional skills, and on a meta-level, there'd be an incentive for players to pick a wider range of build-types. It might also be a little less overwhelming for new players than have to select from a huge list. Further, it'd be another thing people could claim/fakeclaim. What do people think to the general idea?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 16, 2015, 10:10:48 pm »

In case anyone's interested, here's the current version:

Contract-Your-Own-Masquerade

Contract-Your-Own-Masquerade is a variant of Choose Your Own Masquerade. It's a mafia game  in which points which can be spent on powers at the beginning of each night and role powers target masks rather than players in a deep south nightless format. The four differences are:

Professions: At the beginning of the game, each player picks a profession. This gives them three powers that can be bought at regular pricing, a hidden innate auto linked to that profession, and three powers the player can never use. Players may buy powers outside of their profession for 1 point extra.

Two scum teams and 3rd parties: There are two scum teams, town have to beat both of them, scum teams have to remove all rivals. Depending on numbers, there may also be serial killers and/or survivors.

Shopping Limit: Players can only shop once per day (in their shopping session they may buy and sell as many things as they like, but cannot use any powers in the midst of shopping).

Kill Limit: Every player can only kill, poison or deliberately infect once per day, additional attempts fail.

Spoiler: List of Professions (click to show/hide)

The professions are probably quite mixed in appeal, and there's undoubtedly plenty of super-broken power-combos still. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:46:55 am by notquitethere »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 16, 2015, 10:42:11 pm »

urk.  I'm pretty sure half of those 10+ costers got veto'd last time we all talked about this, and the other half are just as problematic.  They either won't get used or will encourage everyone to take highly obnoxious power-gain combos in order to get to them.

Oh thank god an auto that stops changeling.

I think that the profession idea is a good one in theory, but the way you've implemented them... idk, something's bothering me about them.  I'll think on that and get back to you.

Good, there's a shopping limit.

As much as I like the two scum teams, that combined with convert is just no.  Either get rid of two scum teams or get rid of convert.  I'd rather not have there be 6 scum players by the middle of D1.  Also, convert for town is useless, since the odds of actually stopping a conversion are minimal.

free-buy + sap is way too powerful: get that, five points in flaws, then buy a power off someone and sap the points right back.  Effectively power-steal without having to actually guess a power.

I'll probably have more comments later.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 16, 2015, 10:49:07 pm »

Networker isn't a flaw. It should actually be a higher-costing thing, especially since it allows silly things like giving everyone kills.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 16, 2015, 10:52:06 pm »

Networker isn't a flaw. It should actually be a higher-costing thing, especially since it allows silly things like giving everyone kills.
Networker...

GAH.

Bad memories.

Urk AND WHICH MORON THOUGHT GIVING EVERYONE DAYKILLS WAS A GOOD IDEA AGAIN?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 16, 2015, 10:56:24 pm »

Networker...

GAH.

Bad memories.

Urk AND WHICH MORON THOUGHT GIVING EVERYONE DAYKILLS WAS A GOOD IDEA AGAIN?

IDK. Daykill 4maskwolf.

It's a shame I wasn't in that particular round, although it was hilarious to watch.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 16, 2015, 11:01:46 pm »

Oh it was Ottofar.  We musn't speak ill of the dead.

And by dead I mean "not playing mafia right now".

The RNG was capricious that game, I COULD have won but didn't (obviously) because Tiruin rolled up her kill.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 17, 2015, 08:47:22 am »

urk.  I'm pretty sure half of those 10+ costers got veto'd last time we all talked about this, and the other half are just as problematic.  They either won't get used or will encourage everyone to take highly obnoxious power-gain combos in order to get to them.
I didn't include all the ones floated last time; I'm willing to hear some counter arguments to having high level powers. I think if people are willing to waste time early-game in order to be powerful later, that's fine.

I think that the profession idea is a good one in theory, but the way you've implemented them... idk, something's bothering me about them.  I'll think on that and get back to you.
I'm not 100% sold on this exact incarnation of them but I like the idea in general, I'd be interested to hear suggestions.

As much as I like the two scum teams, that combined with convert is just no.  Either get rid of two scum teams or get rid of convert.  I'd rather not have there be 6 scum players by the middle of D1.  Also, convert for town is useless, since the odds of actually stopping a conversion are minimal.
But a town player might self-convert if they were afraid of being converted by the scum. I take your point about the double danger with two scum teams. I could make it that only one use of convert works in the game at all, so we get some fun WIFOM when town players are spotted using convert so that scum can't use it.

free-buy + sap is way too powerful: get that, five points in flaws, then buy a power off someone and sap the points right back.  Effectively power-steal without having to actually guess a power.
But it's strictly worse than power-steal: it costs more and it's more susceptible to disruption and you don't get to pick a power you want and you need the spare points to be able to afford to afford to buy from them. I think this makes it less overpowered.

Hah, yes, it's more powerful than radiant which you have to pay for. I'll amend that.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 17, 2015, 12:10:27 pm »

Here's my opinons and questions on a few of the abilities, now that I'm fully awake.

Buy: Do you buy it at the price it would be for you, or the price it would be for them?
Cleanse: I like the new addition that it can cleanse away poisons, it makes it useful even after you have cleansed yourself/your allies of their flaws.  Taking it as non-self was kind of pointless in the previous game unless you were a scum player.
Disguise: Seems like an ability only the scum would use, since they might want to hide professions that were heavily scum-sided.
Multishop: Should probably be on the autos list.
Gossip: Similar to disguise, since they are the only ones who would really benefit from framing.
Return: Does return sell it back at full price, or only if the player has flexible?  If the first, it's rather pointless.
Fortune Teller: I remember this ability, it was what allowed me to break the first CYOM after NativeForeigner used it.  Been nerfed since then, obviously.  Doesn't seem particularly useful, in my opinion, because it gives you an incomplete list, which doesn't really help you find scum.  I actually have some thoughts on this I'm going to detail below (if I remember).
Research: Doesn't really seem all that useful, since profession generally isn't a good way to decide what alignment a person is.  Maybe useful for the scum, idk.
Raise Dead: I really can't say until I've seen it in action.
Hypnotise: Same as raise dead.
Workout: is that immediately or at the end of the turn?
Changeline: ugg.  I have a personal problem with this ability.  It's nice to see an auto that can counter it, but still... the changeling bomb strategy is still legitimately too powerful.  Also, you forgot to note the nerfing you did to it in the description (specifically the one that would prevent the innate-changeling and one-shot changeling builds).  If that nerf is reinstituted, most of my problems with it go away.
Nerf: interesting... I'll have to see it in action, but it seems legit.
Deregulate: high cost for limited benefit, a given player doesn't have enough banned powers to make it worthwhile.
Poison: Does the player know that they have been poisoned?
Vote Steal: is this the one that temporarily steals their vote or the permanent one?  Because the permenent one is far too powerful, given that it can be made a free power to start the game.
Reflect: The ability I would have used to break the last CYOM... self-reflect is pretty OP, since it makes you immune to all actions targeting you.  This probably needs to be made to cost more or nerfed to only reflect one action and reduced cost.
Reassign: like most of the profession things, this doesn't really make a lot of difference for its cost.
Convert: Even with the thing you mentioned, it's still not worth it.  It basically comes down to who happens to be online when the 24 hour no-action time at the beginning of the game happens, and that's not really fair to people who live in distant timezones.
Infect: certainly interesting...
Recall: eh?  Idk.
Booby-trap: as much as I like the idea of booby-trapping changeling, this seems like it would break the game.  It gets around the one-kill per player rule in some cases, and can be used on fairly obvious town or scum powers to blow the crap out of them.
Grand Swap: All this does is reset the mask situation to the beginning of the game, where you don't even know what's going on.
Pardon: Are pardons announced?

I'll get to some other stuff and my ideas for fortune teller later.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 25, 2015, 04:30:47 pm »

So I once ran a game on another forum, that didn't turn out so well for reasons. And everyone won due to a tie-game ending.

Well, anyways, the concept was a townless 5 faction game (iirc). Each player was a member of two factions, and each faction hated two other factions; a player couldn't be a member of two factions if they hated each other, and to win a faction had to eliminate all players belonging to the factions it hated. Each faction had 2-3 roles that would be dispersed among the players in the faction, so that certain factions could not have ability X or Y, or whatever, the point of which was to cause certain groups to dislike each other more, or whatever, and give them a reason to hunt factions that they might have been OK with. The original concept allowed for a tie between two factions, where they both win since all three factions the two of them hate (1 mutual and 2 exclusive) were both dead. However, the game ended when two opposed players both killed each other simultaneously.

So I was thinking of reworking it. Instead of a random spread, the players would be evenly seeded between the factions, of which there are now seven. This would make it 14 players if there's one of each legal pairing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So now each faction has 4 players. (When I ran the first one iirc each faction had 6.4 players)
Now I need there to be abilities.
Let's say I give each member of a faction a X-shot ability. Picking pseudorandomly, Faction A gets a 2-shot doctor, Faction B gets a 1-shot kill, Faction C gets a 1-shot Jailkeeper, Faction D gets a 2-shot roleblock, E gets a 1-shot douse and a 1-shot ignite, F gets a 2-shot redirection, and G gets a 1-shot bulletproof. This is by no means the finished list.
That way the four members of the faction each have the same ability, but they also each have a separate ability that makes them unique in their team.

Also, doing some math, each faction would want 7 players dead, and each person would want 9 or 11 players dead to win.
Spoiler: by player (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: By faction (click to show/hide)
Each faction gets a team-chat, and yes you will need someone on your own team to die in order to win. No, I don't think they'll tell you.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 25, 2015, 04:35:15 pm »

But... that's not mafia any more :p

It sounds a lot like a much more complicated version of my game "Shootout", though.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 25, 2015, 04:52:14 pm »

Well, it's still got a day during which people are lynched, it's still got a night during which secret actions happen.
Each player only knows their own identity and half the identity of 6 players, which they know they have to kill two of those 6 so they may as well be in the dark concerning them. So they're all uninformed. But each wants to kill over half of the other players, so they're all a minority.

Multiple players can win together, such as 1, 3, and 9, which would be a victory for A, C, and E.

You're right that by messing with many of the fundamentals of the game I've changed the meta, drastically. But I still think it's enough like mafia that it wouldn't fit in the other two boards.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 26, 2015, 07:06:40 pm »

That is genius. Everyone is the informed minority.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 62