Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 67

Author Topic: The Filth of Kalgena: IC Thread. Chapter 3.  (Read 52422 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: The Filth of Kalgena: IC Thread. Chapter 2.
« Reply #705 on: June 21, 2014, 08:04:12 am »

"Let's gather our full team before speaking with dangerous criminals, just in case."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 21, 2014, 02:53:33 pm »

Joes Arlandt:
The Church Coalition maintains an expansive library, which you visit.
(GI: 15)
Mount Kalgena has been relatively ignored for most of recorded history, as the northern civilizations were to fearful to trek into the southern reaches, due to the roving orc tribes. Eighteen months ago, a small band of prospectors journeyed to Kalgena in search of a place to setup a small operation. They found the motherload, and rushed back to the north to raise funds for a large mining operation. They tried to keep it secret, but word of the mountain filled with gold, silver and precious gems quickly spread.
Thousands left their lives in the north and traveled to share in the wealth. Large companies were built, making a few people very, very, very wealthy. The rest of the city lives in some level of squalor, with cringe being rampant.
The various religions saw the urban disaster that was Kalgena, and called a council. Every non-evil religion sent a representative, and the council decided to move to act as a government until the people got it together to create their own. As of now, the CC it's still the dominant political force, but the Associated Mining Companies are a close second.

Celles Gartens and Gregory Guy:
((I can't move you two along that path until they get the target and get out. So I'm going to delay that action until that time.))

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 22, 2014, 07:53:50 pm »

(dammit. Sheet is ready, but it looks like I missed the DM.)

Laura glances at the Pickpocket and shakes her head. Usualy the person pocket farming needed the money more than the person being pocket farmed, so Laura could look the other way, but this time the would-be victim had a kid with him. Something would have to be done.

"Hixi," she whispers. "The pocket farmer is going after an elf with an elfling. I'm going to have to play locust and ruin his harvest. Why don't you mix in with the crowd, so you don't get dragged into any bloodsport..."

The Cleric paused, and took stock of her options. She had two. She didn't want to actually have to hurt the pickpocket, or ruin his life, so she hoped that the first would be enough.

Laura begins to stare indiscreetly at the pickpocket, and makes no attempt to hide the fact that he is being watched from him. If the Pickpocket doesn't notice her, or chooses ignore her, she will attempt to catch him in the act by casting Hold Person on him while he is actually robbing the elf.

Intimidate Check: (If needed. Beyond stareing at the guy, Laura makes no attempt to draw his attention, so this wont come into play if he doesn't notice her.) 1d20+3=16

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 22, 2014, 08:26:20 pm »

Laura Godkissed:
As the pickpocket closes the last 30 feet, he stops prying his hands into pockets, and picks up speed. In the last five feet, he pulls a wicked looking black dagger from his sleeve, spins it around and it plunges towards the little elf. Time slows as you cast out your arm, finger pointed straight as an arrow at the man, shouting the words to Hold Person.

And time speeds back up. The crowd is panicking, but you push your way through the mass of bodies to find the man paralyzed on the ground, and the father cradling his son's limp body in his arms.

((I'm still here.))

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 22, 2014, 08:43:50 pm »

Laura hops into panic mode. An assassin playing pickpocket? That was strange. Explained why he smelt of big cat though. There was work to do now. Perhaps the child could still be saved... But first she needed to deal with the bad man and make sure that he couldn't escape or interfere with her healing.

Without a word, takes the paralyzed man's dagger, pockets it, and draws her own mace, which she then brings down on his legs a few times in an attempt to break them... (Let me know if I need a roll for any of this...)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 22, 2014, 10:17:59 pm »

"Are you going to just stand there, or are you going to do your thing and unlock the case? ...No? Fine, allow me, then."
Alaris gets out her thieves' tools and picks the lock on the case to grab the mystical item.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #711 on: June 22, 2014, 10:24:47 pm »

What are the important positions in the CC and the AMC? How do they make decisions? What kind of resources do they command and what kind of authority do they wield?

Also, Knowledge: Could that one character from the desert actually be a demon?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:28:25 pm by Angle »

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 23, 2014, 12:34:36 am »

Laura Godkissed:
Since you the dagger does not present itself, you skip to the crippling. With two savage blows, you render the assassin's legs useless. Turning to examine the elfling, you realize why you could not find the dagger.
It's embedded in his forehead.
The father is still sobbing, but they are becoming shorter, with an edge to them. He smells like a, and I know this is a terrible metaphor, mother bear who just had her cub taken from her.

Alaris Valentis, Edgric Browne and Cade Thorngage:
You are unable to open the case, but Edgrick tries, popping the lock of, and swinging the case back. He picks it up, and stuffs it in its own sack.

Joes Arlandt:
The CC is run by a council of religious leaders, but their primary arm, Law Enforcement, is headed by the current commissioner, a Linda Gorda. She oversees the activities of 23 police captains, who each are on charge of their own Patrol Station. You editable that they have about a thousand people in their employ, not all of whom are fighting men and women. They act as the local government, running public services like law enforcement, sewage, etc.
The AMC doesn't seem to have a formal system to govern itself, and it's employment numbers are sketchy, to say the least. Estimates range from 2,000 to 15,000 workers. They hold lots of political clout, due to their stupid amounts of money.

There's no way that thing could be a demon. It's probably a mindflayer.

((And that is it, ladies and gents. I'm out.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 23, 2014, 02:09:30 pm »

"Well. That's it. Let's go, unless you spotted anything else worthwhile."

Search room for traps. Then search for valuables. Steal anything good if this still appears to be our cover story. Then leave.

"Let's go get some sleep, eh? And then let's meet an hour before noon so we can consider exchanging this... Alaris, it might be a good idea to bring your... colleagues. Just in case, like."

Go home and sleep, after having secured the item somewhere hidden in the room.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 23, 2014, 02:31:06 pm »

"Alrighty, time to get out of here."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 23, 2014, 02:35:18 pm »

((assuming we have left and have time to talk on the way back: ))

"So. We were just meant to locate this object, but the contact then thought he could get us to steal it. I don't like him and would quite like to do him over, but am aware of the possibilities of making enemies more powerful than I. We are not entirely decided as to what to do. Hand it over, and then get him immediately arrested? Meet him and rob him? Or just play along and see where it leads us in terms of criminal contacts? It is difficult to know, as I came here without anything more than the vaguest of plans. Well, I came here as much to not be anywhere else, to be perfectly frank, and am unsure of my aims... or desires. What would you do?"

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 23, 2014, 06:53:20 pm »

"I'm just here to get paid. First, we go to my fence's contact in the city and sell him the big bag of silverware, and then we go turn over the item. So long as they pay us, I don't really care what happens to them afterward."
Alaris yawns and adjusts the load slung over her shoulder.
"And then I need to get back to bed. Stealing takes a lot more out of you than you might expect..."

((Trying a new dialogue color format. Hopefully it's easier to read now.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 24, 2014, 07:06:14 am »

"We have the meeting with the... buyer tomorrow at noon. I'll think about what happens to them afterward. I'll let you know first. Let's go."

((it is for me, although I don't normally like glow/shadow much, makes my eyes feel wonky))

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 27, 2014, 10:20:45 am »

Laura blinks, and feels a wave of sadness coming on. All this had happened because she misread the situation, and now a kid was dead... likely dead. There was still a chance, and Laura was the sort to grab onto any shred of hope.

She brandishes her Holy Symbol, a small wooden sphere decorated with dried flowers, the baby teeth of children, and various specks of bright colored paint. "Sir, I am a Cleric, let me see if I can help."

1d20+3=20 Healing Check to Examine the Boy
1d20+6=20 Diplomacy Check (If Needed) To Approach the Elves

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 27, 2014, 11:54:28 pm »

Edgrick Browne, Alaris Valentis and Cafe Thorngage:

You carefully bury it in a plant pot, and sleep the night.

Laura Godkissed:

He hands you his son, still sobbing.
The boy is teetering at the brink of death. The blade seems to have been poisoned, and the stab damaged significant parts of his brain.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 67