Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 67

Author Topic: The Filth of Kalgena: IC Thread. Chapter 3.  (Read 52505 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: The Filth of Kalgena: IC Thread.
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2014, 10:38:20 am »

*Follows*

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2014, 11:08:42 am »

"Well... For work, we'll have to see what they are offering, but I presume it's well paid, what with me being a wizard and all. We can split the pay for whatever jobs we do equally, and we can consider this a... trial run of a possible partnership, I suppose? Just to see how it works out.

As for your skills, I value education and knowledge, as I like to seek a second opinion on a things and I also highly value scribing, given my profession. Your knowledge of multiple languages is useful and someone who knows a blade is always handy in a fight, I would think. And on top of that, you seem like a... worldly kind of fellow. Someone who knows how to do things on the streets and wilderness. A practical kind of person, I would say. And I like to think we could compliment each other nicely, in a place such as this. Do you disagree?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2014, 12:08:40 pm »

"Yes, I think we probably could... Let's see what kind of work we can find then, eh? I'm no ranger, but I'm not afraid of a bit of wilderness... More at home in a city though. What kind of work exactly are you after, anyway?"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2014, 02:09:18 pm »

Alaris finds the nearest tavern and immediately sets up, playing an upbeat song for the customers and setting out an empty sack for donations.

Perform: d20 (14) + 9 = 23
You head down Mainstreet, which is lined with nice, expensive buildings, some obviously houses, some offices, and some rather high class businesses. There are no taverns on Mainstreet, so you take a left, and the quality of the buildings instantly declines. You head down that street and quickly find a tavern. It's gruby, dirty and loud. You head in, and a barmaid tells you to not make any trouble. You setup in the corner of the room, and start to play. As you start off with a rousing drinking song, most of the room joins in. You are well recieved by the crowd, ending up with 1.7 GPs at the end of the night, mostly in copper pieces. The innkeep offers you a simple dinner and a place by the fire tonight.

*Follows*
Sergant Rockcrusher notices you following, and turns. "Can I help ye, lad?"

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2014, 04:30:21 pm »

*Follows*
"I've been told you're the one to speak to if I'm in the market for a job in law enforcement?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2014, 04:54:05 pm »

Edgrick, after perhaps getting an answer from Cade before doing so, also seeks out the nearest inn to try and find out who - and in particular on the other side of the law - might have some kind of work, for, say, someone who can do magic. Or breaking and entering. He tries to find out with discretion, though...

If Cade doesn't want to come too, then set up a meeting point for tomorrow. Not too early.

He settles down for an evening of eating, drinking, and Gathering Information about exactly who it is the town watch are trying to keep down, apart from the orcs. Are there gangs?

Gather information check: 14+10=24 (random.org as invisible castle was down)
Willing to spend 50GP on food and drink (and a room for the night).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:41:17 am by lawastooshort »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2014, 07:29:18 pm »

The innkeep offers you a simple dinner and a place by the fire tonight.
Ask my new friend about any recent rumors. Also order a drink with some of the donations.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2014, 01:00:01 am »

"Ideally, work that doesn't get us killed and pays well. But we shall have to see what there is on offer first. Onward!"

Cade follows along with Edgrick, letting him do the talking, while just staying quiet and getting a feel for the city. He also has Edgrick ask around for where they can get magical equipment or scrolls, and who are the prominent spellcasters in the city.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Follows*
"I've been told you're the one to speak to if I'm in the market for a job in law enforcement?"
"Aye. If ye'd like to follow me, I'm taking yer friend to get enrolled too. If I am not mistaken, I ne'r caught yer name, lass."

Edgrick, after perhaps getting an answer from Cade before doing so, also seeks out the nearest inn to try and find out who - and in particular on the other side of the law - might have some kind of work, for, say, someone who can do magic. Or breaking and entering. He tries to find out with discretion, though...

If Cade doesn't want to come too, then set up a meeting point for tomorrow. Not too early.

He settles down for an evening of eating, drinking, and Gathering Information about exactly who it is the town watch are trying to keep down, apart from the orcs. Are their gangs?

Gather information check: 14+10=24 (random.org as invisible castle was down)
Willing to spend 50GP on food and drink (and a room for the night).
"Ideally, work that doesn't get us killed and pays well. But we shall have to see what there is on offer first. Onward!"

Cade follows along with Edgrick, letting him do the talking, while just staying quiet and getting a feel for the city. He also has Edgrick ask around for where they can get magical equipment or scrolls, and who are the prominent spellcasters in the city.
The first person that Edgrick asks about the town watch's work and the presence of gangs almost falls off his stool in a fit of laughter. "Gangs? Oh, boy, do we have gangs! The orcs aint nothing compared to the gangs. Gangs rise and fall every day here. It's the kids." He takes a swig from his mug. "The churches wont let them work in the mines, so they dont have nothing to do. This gets you a six year old who screams death threats at anyone who looks at him funny. It'd be sad, if it weren't so goddamn funny." After chuckling into his mug, he hurriedly adds, "While the younguns are part of the gangs all technical like, it's their older brothers and sisters who are most common members of our wonderful city's gangs. Theft in broad daylight, brawls in dark alleys, and defiance of the law anywhere, anywhen."

After visiting a few taverns, Edgrick finds three good job opportunities:
1. In the better part of town, you found a nervous young man looking for someone to "retrieve some documents from a safe". He refused to provide further details until you committed.
2. A few men on a dark corner had been asking around for a spellcaster to do some scrying.
3. There's talk of a new guild in town, the Enforcer's Guild. Their members work as thugs for hire by the gangs. By the way that people are talking about it, they're raking money in hand over fist.

Most of the spell-casters around identify as or fit the description of Sorcerers or Adepts. Almost all the Clerics and Paladins work under the banner of the Church Coalition. By the sound of it, there might be a few wizards working for the AMC, but that's about it. Any spellcaster would be more than happy to sell you a scroll, admittedly for a higher price than would be normal in other cities.
As for big names in the magic business, there's not too many. There's Sarceron, Kalgena's most powerful, or, at the very least, the best known sorcerer. He doesn't go cheap. Neither do his closest rivals, Multa, Yenwe, and Ixtar. The Church Coalition's officers shy away from the spotlight and so their names are not celebrated. The only other big name you hear is that of the Healer In The Night. There are many stories of people on their deathbed who get better overnight after being visited by a mysterious figure.

The innkeep offers you a simple dinner and a place by the fire tonight.
Ask my new friend about any recent rumors. Also order a drink with some of the donations.
"Well, if you enjoy ze crack pot talez of minerz, zey claim zat ze AMC haz ztruck adamantine. Ze zmoke-powder-faced believerz of zuch thingz zay zey are tranzporting ze ore in ze dead of night." He pauses to get you a mug of ale, taking 4 copper. "But if you prefer lezz fanciful talez, zen you would be more intrigued by ze newz zat ze Znake Corner Ziblingz made a move on zome Zturdee Zpur territory. Ze word on ze ztreet iz zat it got razer nazty and a Zturdee Zpur got zewered. Zey are zupozed to be planning zome revenge." You recognize the names as two nearby connecting streets. Through the heavy accent, you notice some local lingo, like smoke-powder-faced.

((The DM apologies to A. Anyone who was offended in a cultural sense by that accent. B. Everyone who was offended by the flat out stupidity of it. He is ashamed of it, and promises to keep his z's locked away from now on. Also, he asks that you never visit this inn again, so we can all forget this happened.))

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Gartens nods thoughtfully, speaks. "I am Celles Gartens. You may call me Gartens, if you wish."

((Pronounced 'chelz gahr-tenz', by the way. Usually. I don't know, it's pronunciation fluctuates in my head alot.))
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

Alaris keeps this info in mind and wanders over to find an alchemist's shop. Preferably one that sells alchemist's fire.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

"Well, Cade, what do you say? Can you scry?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

"Well... I don't really do scrying all that much, but I suppose I could give it a shot if they have the materials I need?"

((I'm not actually sure if my character can do any sort of scrying at this moment in time. Not without DM assistance, at any rate.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

"Okay. I guess I can go back and see what they have to say for themselves. It's just that if you can't, it looks like our career options are currently work for criminals, become criminals, or fight criminals. I don't know that I have a preference, myself. You?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

"Everyone is a criminal in this town. We'll just have to pick and choose our jobs for awhile, until we get settled.

Maybe the AMC can help? Perhaps we should check it out for ourselves. They apparently pay well..."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 67