Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 67

Author Topic: The Filth of Kalgena: IC Thread. Chapter 3.  (Read 52452 times)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
Re: The Filth of Kalgena: IC Thread. Chapter 2.
« Reply #795 on: August 05, 2014, 01:57:37 am »

"I am. What about that woman? It seemed like you knew her."

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 05, 2014, 02:12:16 am »

Joes Arlandt:
"Oh, Laura? Ssshe'sss a drinking buddy. Worksss for the fuzz, doing healing. Doesssn't asssk quessstionsss about my work, I don't asssk her about her work. Really weird though. Looksss human, but ssshe can smell your feelingsss. Alssso, her ssskin changesss color. I try not to think about it." He shivers, even though it's a warm night.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 05, 2014, 02:23:50 am »

Laura stands, and extends her hand as well to shake the investigators'. Baron. She knew the word; It almost meant king. A good king was a good thing indeed, but a bad one could easily be worse and more controlling than the Church Coalition. She had to learn more, which meant she had to fish for an invitation to participate. Now that they knew he owed her the life of his son, the Coalition might find it difficult to resist using her in their dealings with the elf.

"Speaking off the record myself," Laura states, "the main reason I don't do your sort of work is that my heart has several strong disagreements with the church-cops' views on what sort of people and actions merit time-out or a beating, but I think there is some overlap on the matter of people who put poisoned pointy things into kids."

"If you ever need some extra eyes or ears, Detective Rince, on this or any other adventure to find or meet somebody who is actually hurting somebody, feel free to ask." Laura offers a small smile, "I have a good nose and I don't ever sleep unless somebody sticks me with a pointy thing and makesme, so I can be somewhat successful at playing detective when I want to. When I'm not on shift, I'm either doing charity work or making new friends, some of whom could be of the sort my parents would disprove of, so you wouldn't even be wasting my time."

Laura's eyes dart around for the nearest clock, trying to work out how much time she has left before her shift begins. She then sniffs the air, trying to determine if the detective's outburst of warmth towards her was genuine, or merely a case of him playing the game that put food on his table.

Sense Motive to See if the Detective is Being Manipulative: 1d20+13=27

"Or we can just consume dizzy juice and flap our mouths while neither of us are on duty," She adds if the investigator is actually being friendly - Laura liked making new friends, "either way, just leave scribblings on my locker here if I'm not around, and you want to make sure, for any reason, that what you are thinking gets into my head."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 05, 2014, 01:25:24 pm »

Laura Godkissed:
You get a feeling that he has an agenda, a evaluation backed up by his next actions. What that agenda is... you're not sure.
He slips you a scrap of paper when he shakes your hand, and smiles a half-real smile. "The Detective's Bureau is always looking for new, passionate members who take the initiative. If you change your mind about our work, here's my card." With his other hand, he gives you another piece of paper, winking at you. He's gone before you can say anything to him.
Pocketing the papers, you remember that your shift ended about an hour ago, so you have 14 hours, not counting your meditation.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 05, 2014, 03:40:22 pm »

Laura heads to her locker, where she reads the paper, before stowing them away and stocking her pockets with some more gold coins to replace the ones spent last night.

Then, if none of the notes passed to her demand immediate action, she meditates and heads back into town. First on the day's agenda would be her Kobold friend; She was sure that the assassination attempt would have ruined his attempt to unwind after work, and that she had to make that up to him. Perhaps she could find him something yummy.

Laura allows her wanderings to take her to the side of town where Dragonkin were prone to live, where she begins to seek out any sort of baker or grocer...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 05, 2014, 05:53:14 pm »

Laura Godkissed:
The paper has a name, a title and a location on it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On the back, the Detective has written a note:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You now stand in front of a general store, in the section of Kalgena called Dragontown by it's residents, who are mostly Kobolds, but some Half-dragons and Spellscales make their home here too.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 05, 2014, 06:08:36 pm »

Laura enters the store and begins to browse. She has no clue what a Kobold might enjoy as a snack, and wants to get a feel for the place and all its wonderful merchandise before asking. She keeps her ears and nose open for hostility or contempt; Oftentimes, when exploring the lands of another race, locals say mean things about her that they don't think she can smell in languages they think she cannot understand.

After looking around for a bit, she turns to an employee and asks for help: "Excuse me? I have a friend who is a Kobold and is having one of those days that make you want to scream until your voice dies and then hit the dizzy juice. I was thinking of buying him something yummy to cheer him up. Do you have any suggestions?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 07, 2014, 08:24:16 am »

Hello - I was still away.

Until I am sure of a better idea or someone suggests one, I will repeat last turn's bow shot

Wait - if I melee a grappled enemy would it be a sneak attack? Would it be a good thing?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 08, 2014, 07:18:18 pm »

Laura Godkissed:
Inside, the first thing you notice is the relative low lighting. The few windows that the store does have are closed, and there doesn't seem to be any receptacles in the walls or ceiling to put a light source. The second if thing is the relative lack of people in the store.
A young kobold stands behind a low counter, wiping it down, when you come in. She looks up with some excitement, judging from the smell of happiness wafting off of her.
"Hello, miss! I recommend the rothe steaksss, they're very good if you grill them over low coals. They're fresh from a Dwarven farm on the other ssside of the river."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 10, 2014, 06:19:29 pm »

Laura Godkissed:
Inside, the first thing you notice is the relative low lighting. The few windows that the store does have are closed, and there doesn't seem to be any receptacles in the walls or ceiling to put a light source. The second if thing is the relative lack of people in the store.
A young kobold stands behind a low counter, wiping it down, when you come in. She looks up with some excitement, judging from the smell of happiness wafting off of her.
"Hello, miss! I recommend the rothe steaksss, they're very good if you grill them over low coals. They're fresh from a Dwarven farm on the other ssside of the river."

Laura offers the Kobold a smile. "Ohh... I'm not very good at burning the raw out of meat. I tend to burn the yums out of it too... Do you have anything yummy for which the entirety of the preparation consists of giving you money?"

As she speaks, she also thinks, trying to recall were she might find a kitchen should she actually buy the steaks.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 11, 2014, 12:03:48 am »

Laura Godkissed:
Thinking about it more, not only is there no one, other you and the clerk, in the store, you only saw a few kobolds in the street on your way here, a stricking change from the busy city streets.
(I think that's all the retconing of fluff that I need.)
"Well, we do make sandwiches." She moves down to the counter, where some covered metal trays sit. She pulls back the lids, displaying some meats, cheeses, vegetables and sauces, along with a selection of bread loaves.
Spoiler: Some ingredients (click to show/hide)

Joes Arlandt:
On that strange note, you wish Hix'ix'ix a good night, and set your feet in the direction of a warm bed. Your path takes you through a dark alley, which you enter with a quick pace, intending to leave the alley as soon as possible. Your plan is interupted when, from the shadows, a figure stands suddenly, and grabs your arm. In the darkness, you can't make out their features, but their voice has the depth of a half-orc.
"You. You are like us. You can help us."

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #806 on: August 11, 2014, 01:36:49 am »

"Like you how and help you with what? And would you care to talk about it somewhere other than a dark alley?

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 11, 2014, 01:51:03 am »

Joes Arlandt:
"No. Not safe anywhere else. They want to hurt us. Both of us. All of us. Because the gods have given us our tools. You saw my brothers. My unborn brothers."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 11, 2014, 02:07:51 am »

(Huh. For some reason, my mouse can no longer click an drag. Until I figure that one out, no more pretty font color.)

Laura's eyes light up when she sees the deli display. "Sandwiches are nice. He could share them with the people who play ant down in the mines with him! I'll have chicken, goat cheese, lettuce, carrots, and mustard on wheat for myself. Then make your five favorite kinds of food stacks for me to give to my friend, I'm sure he'll like one, and find others to like the rest. Would you also be so kind as to wrap the gift sandwiches in paper sandwich armor, and then write a note on the armor saying what is inside while you are at it?"

The cleric watches intently as the Dragonkin works. "So where is everybody? Do all the Kobolds play their money games or sleep at the same time? Or is something else making the streets around here lonely?"

Angle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #809 on: August 11, 2014, 02:15:58 am »

"Ah, I see. How do you expect me to help you, then?"

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 67