Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 67

Author Topic: The Filth of Kalgena: IC Thread. Chapter 3.  (Read 52480 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: The Filth of Kalgena: IC Thread.
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2014, 09:05:03 am »

"I'm here looking for work, and I'll stay here as long as I please. I have nothing to declare save the clothes on my back."
"I see. And what do you do, exactly?"
Gregory sighs.
"Well, I have many useful talents, but I suppose the one you'll be interested in is my strength, as always. I can hit things. I can carry things. I can climb things. I can bore holes through solid adamantine. Et cetera, et cetera. Any of that what you were looking for?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2014, 12:59:21 pm »

Cade nods and scratches his chin through his beard.

"If I am well compensated and told who to talk to about such matters, I will keep that in mind. I might even do a few services for you from time to time, for a reasonable price of course.

Can you tell me of all the groups and organisations that are present here, including your own? I'd like to know the lay of the land, as it were, and if you can't then can you direct me to someone who can?"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2014, 02:09:24 pm »

"Well, if you experience any more symptoms, then find a cleric, for the sake of your fellow man. Lets not allow the shadow of pestilence to fall on this city."
Tell me, do you get problems with sickness often? It seems like a fairly specific question to ask at the gate.
"No, luckily. However, we can't be too careful. If disease was to get into the city, it would spread like wildfire."

"I'm here looking for work, and I'll stay here as long as I please. I have nothing to declare save the clothes on my back."
Gregory sighs.
"Well, I have many useful talents, but I suppose the one you'll be interested in is my strength, as always. I can hit things. I can carry things. I can climb things. I can bore holes through solid adamantine. Et cetera, et cetera. Any of that what you were looking for?"
"Well, has law enforcement ever appealed to you?"

Cade nods and scratches his chin through his beard.

"If I am well compensated and told who to talk to about such matters, I will keep that in mind. I might even do a few services for you from time to time, for a reasonable price of course.

Can you tell me of all the groups and organisations that are present here, including your own? I'd like to know the lay of the land, as it were, and if you can't then can you direct me to someone who can?"

Pointing behind her, she gives directions to the CC's headquarters. "Head down Mainstreet, and it'll be the granite building that looks a bit like your religion's preferred church.
Well, there's us, the Church Coalition, the Associated Mining Companies, and then many small guilds, like the Metal-smith's Guild, the Alchemist's Guild, and I think someone tried to setup a Sorcerer's Guild, but it failed because no one joined. Now, that's the official ones. There are many gangs, each ruling over a neighborhood. There are the largest current threat to stability. Even when we put them down, another three sprout up in their place."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2014, 04:54:06 pm »

She gestures at Edgric and Laura. "Do you have anything to declare? Have you been ill in the last week? What's your business here? How long are you staying?"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2014, 02:15:28 pm »

((Since I don't really want this to stagnate, I'll just keep moving forward.))

A grizzled dwarf wearing scalemail and a Dwarven Urgosh strapped to his back stomps out the door behind the woman.
"Aye, Helen? Who's th' greenhorn?"
Helen nods her head towards Gartens. "She's a servant of Melisi. The dogs are hers, and bound men are some bandits this group defeated on the road. After this, I'll take them to the Pen, sir."
"Good." Turning to face Gartens, "Well, lass, welcome to the Church Coalition. From yer arms, I take it that you're a solider of yer faith, aye? Glad you've brought yer own kit, cause we don't have much to spare. Let's make you a member. Follow me." With that, he begins heading down the street.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2014, 03:48:56 pm »

She gestures at Edgric and Laura. "Do you have anything to declare? Have you been ill in the last week? What's your business here? How long are you staying?"

"i don't have anything to declare, no - about all I got is my pack, pair of rapiers, my bow. I haven't been ill for months, truth be told ma'am. My business is just that I'm looking to make a living - there's a lot of business here I thought, and I've been a scribe, can keep books, I can read and write well in a few languages, can add up straight, can fight if I had to. I mean to stay as long as I can make a living, if I can at all, I guess..."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2014, 03:50:11 pm »

Gregory sighs.
"The justice kind, or the bruiser kind?"

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2014, 05:42:02 pm »

This is not done yet. However, my ride arrived as I was finishing this. I'll complete it when I get home. It's done now.

"i don't have anything to declare, no - about all I got is my pack, pair of rapiers, my bow. I haven't been ill for months, truth be told ma'am. My business is just that I'm looking to make a living - there's a lot of business here I thought, and I've been a scribe, can keep books, I can read and write well in a few languages, can add up straight, can fight if I had to. I mean to stay as long as I can make a living, if I can at all, I guess..."
"You thought right. There's lots of good work for those who don't mind sticking their nose in a book all day. We could use you, but we're rather... low on funds, so you'll likely find better pay at the AMC or one of the guilds."

Gregory sighs.
"A bit of both. You would start at the bottom of the ladder by patrolling a few blocks, giving the people assurance that we are there to protect them from those who would steal, rape and murder and acting as our face on the streets. You'd be called on to help with civil disputes as much as you would have to help with waste disposal. If you did well, you could be promoted to running a whole neighborhood. But for now, a man of your build will likely be used for intimidation, crowd control, and breaking up fights."
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:45:31 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »

"You thought right. There's lots of good work for those who don't mind sticking their nose in a book all day. We could use you, but we're rather... low on funds, so you'll likely find better pay at the AMC or one of the guilds."

Gregory sighs.
"A bit of both. You would start at the bottom of the ladder by patrolling a few blocks, giving the people assurance that we are there to protect them from those who would steal, rape and murder and acting as our face on the streets. You'd be called on to help with civil disputs as much as you would have to . If you did well, you could be promoted to a whole neighborhood,
A man of your stature will likely be used for intimidation, crowd control, and breaking up fights. [/spoiler]
[/quote]
Gregory considers this for a while, before coming to a conclusion.

"I'll take it. Where do I start?"

After all, he could certainly take liberties with the job description if need be.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2014, 07:04:23 pm »

-snip-
"Follow Sargent Rockcrusher to our headquarters. He's the one heading down the street with your friend. Tell him that you want in too. Have a good one."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2014, 11:00:52 pm »

Cade sidles up next to Edgrick and quietly bumps his elbow against his leg.

"You know... I could always find a use for someone of your skills, and we do seem to be heading in the same direction for work... If you stick with me and help me out every now and then, I could make sure you get a job with me, seeing how wizards are highly wanted and valued and I could just say you are part of my routine, and they wouldn't even think twice about it.

What do you say? Partners?"

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2014, 11:14:44 pm »

Gartens responds less quickly, being preoccupied with regathering all of her weapons. "They are. One was killed, unfortunately, and I was unable to bring him in; my hounds are not well-trained at bringing down runners alive." As she stowed all of her weapons again and signaled for her dogs to follow her ("I can take care of them, if you point me to where these Pens are, if I must."), she hurried after the dwarf, armor clanking as she hustled. "Mind telling me the general state of affairs, if you would, Master Dwarf?"
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2014, 01:59:12 am »

Gartens responds less quickly, being preoccupied with regathering all of her weapons. "They are. One was killed, unfortunately, and I was unable to bring him in; my hounds are not well-trained at bringing down runners alive." As she stowed all of her weapons again and signaled for her dogs to follow her ("I can take care of them, if you point me to where these Pens are, if I must."), she hurried after the dwarf, armor clanking as she hustled.
"Do not worry yourself, it's too far out of your way. I have a smuggler to drop off anyway, so it's no trouble to take them along too." Raising her voice, she speaks to the group. "We may need you to testify against the accused, so if you could stop by our headquarters in the morning so we can take down your testimony, we'd appreciate it." Turning back to Gartens, "Have a good one."
"Mind telling me the general state of affairs, if you would, Master Dwarf?"
When asked this question, he strokes his long, braided gray beard thoughtfully for a moment. "Well. There's onl' one state of affairs in Kalgena." He pauses for a moment, both in his gait and speech. The buildings around you are very expensive looking, the road is well kept and paved with cobble, and there are some grates along the sides of the street, indicating a sewer system. He strolls over to one and pries it up and open. As you approach, a foul stench wafts up. It smells like someone made a piss, shit, rotting carcass and mining offal perfume and sprayed it everywhere. The hounds refuse to even get close to the grate. As you peer inside, you see what looks like the bottom of a pit toilet in river form. "One of the first things that Church Coalition did was ta setup a way to get rid o' waste. So we dug dry sewers and offered a new home to a number of groups of Otyughs." He slides the grate back into place, and continues on his way. "Kalgena is like our sewers. If you c'n survive the monsters, the smell, are prepared ta struggle through the conditions, and are very, very lucky, ye might just find a bit o' gold that a big man dropped. Fer the miners, it be Moradin. Fer the toshers, it's a rich man." He chuckles a grim laugh.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2014, 06:36:29 am »

Alaris finds the nearest tavern and immediately sets up, playing an upbeat song for the customers and setting out an empty sack for donations.

Perform: d20 (14) + 9 = 23

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2014, 08:49:53 am »

Cade sidles up next to Edgrick and quietly bumps his elbow against his leg.

"You know... I could always find a use for someone of your skills, and we do seem to be heading in the same direction for work... If you stick with me and help me out every now and then, I could make sure you get a job with me, seeing how wizards are highly wanted and valued and I could just say you are part of my routine, and they wouldn't even think twice about it.

What do you say? Partners?"

"Well, I guess that depends on what kind of work you think you'll be getting, and how equal partners you propose we be... And I'm wondering how much you mean scribing when you say someone of my skills... Of course, I can scribe pretty well."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 67