Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34

Author Topic: [3.5e D&D] A Game of Death and Destruction  (Read 47621 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5e D&D] A Game of Death and Destruction
« Reply #480 on: January 21, 2014, 06:01:30 am »

I think the one thing that solidly puts Psions over Dread Necromancers is their Psi-crystal. A Psi-crystal is a psionic familiar, a fragment of the owner's personality. While they require a feat to use, it is possible, with some liberal reading of the rules, to have the Psi-crystal have a Psi-crystal. Who has a Psi-crystal. Who has a Psi-crystal. Who has a Psi-crystal. Who has a Psi-crystal. Who has a Psi-crystal, until it's Psi-crystals all the way down.

The specifics, from Birth of Oblivion, another game from Remuthra. I was disappointed when it sort of petered out.
The character sheet for my Psi-crystal.
You may say, 'Immaterial, why would you create a character sheet for what is basically your psionic familiar?'
And, hypothectical person, I would reply: 'Because Number Two gets HD, which means he gets feats and skill points. Since he gets feats, I have to figure out where to spend them. Since most of the normal feats are basically non-applicable to psi-crystals, I chose Practiced Manifester and Psi-crystal Affinity.'
You, hypothecial person, might ask 'Wait. Practiced Manifester says "Choose a manifesting class that you possess... Your manifester level for the chosen manifesting class increases by four." Number Two doesnt have any manifesting class.'
'That is true, but it says "a manifesting class you possess". Since Number Two is me, and I possess a manifesting class, taking that feat means NT has a manifesting level of 4, and no powerpoints. The requirement for Psicrystal Affinity is one manifesting level, so he can make his own psicrystal.'
You'll probably say something like 'Stop powergaming after midnight.'
And I should.
Just try and stop me now, Remuthra! Just try! I will drown your centaur in a sea of crystals!
Do the crystals die when you do?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 21, 2014, 12:09:26 pm »

I think the one thing that solidly puts Psions over Dread Necromancers is their Psi-crystal. A Psi-crystal is a psionic familiar, a fragment of the owner's personality. While they require a feat to use, it is possible, with some liberal reading of the rules, to have the Psi-crystal have a Psi-crystal. Who has a Psi-crystal. Who has a Psi-crystal. Who has a Psi-crystal. Who has a Psi-crystal. Who has a Psi-crystal, until it's Psi-crystals all the way down.

The specifics, from Birth of Oblivion, another game from Remuthra. I was disappointed when it sort of petered out.
You may say, 'Immaterial, why would you create a character sheet for what is basically your psionic familiar?'
And, hypothectical person, I would reply: 'Because Number Two gets HD, which means he gets feats and skill points. Since he gets feats, I have to figure out where to spend them. Since most of the normal feats are basically non-applicable to psi-crystals, I chose Practiced Manifester and Psi-crystal Affinity.'
You, hypothecial person, might ask 'Wait. Practiced Manifester says "Choose a manifesting class that you possess... Your manifester level for the chosen manifesting class increases by four." Number Two doesnt have any manifesting class.'
'That is true, but it says "a manifesting class you possess". Since Number Two is me, and I possess a manifesting class, taking that feat means NT has a manifesting level of 4, and no powerpoints. The requirement for Psicrystal Affinity is one manifesting level, so he can make his own psicrystal.'
And I should.
Just try and stop me now, Remuthra! Just try! I will drown your centaur in a sea of crystals!
I don't know and Google is not particularity forthcoming but I suspect that is like familiars. So... no.

I'm looking at the Mind Flayer Extraction feat tree from Complete Psionics, but I hoped that it could be changed a little. Since it takes 6 feats  to be able to suck out some one's brain and only grants 2d4 power points, could that change to bonuses to mental scores equal to a fourth of the mental scores of the brain drained subject?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 21, 2014, 12:10:49 pm »

And I should.
I don't know and Google is not particularity forthcoming but I suspect that is like familiars. So... no.

I'm looking at the Mind Flayer Extraction feat tree from Complete Psionics, but I hoped that it could be changed a little. Since it takes 6 feats  to be able to suck out some one's brain and only grants 2d4 power points, could that change to bonuses to mental scores equal to a fourth of the mental scores of the brain drained subject?
Mind flayers can already extract brains naturally.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 21, 2014, 12:20:31 pm »

-snip-
But I'm not a Mindflayer. The Mindflayer Extraction feat tree lets non-Mindflayers gain tentacles and brain sucking, but while it's badass sounding, it kinda sucks for a seven feat cost.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 21, 2014, 12:21:40 pm »

-snip-
But I'm not a Mindflayer. The Mindflayer Extraction feat tree lets non-Mindflayers gain tentacles and brain sucking, but while it's badass sounding, it kinda sucks for a seven feat cost.
Well, generally I'm trying not to mess with the rules this game, so...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 21, 2014, 12:39:42 pm »

-snip-
Well, generally I'm trying not to mess with the rules this game, so...
Fair enough. I'll go plunge back in and find a different set of OP feats.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 21, 2014, 11:27:30 pm »

Or, of course, there's the part of Dread Necros where they can have Quasits or Imps as familiars.

With the polymorph ability thing, at will.

If we're going to munchkin it to that degree, of course(since I doubt the GM will let you do the infi-psi), there's also the whole 'Level 17 Druid, Level 1 Beastmaster (or any other class) Half-Dragon Magebred War Beast Rhinoceros' character. HD Total: 48, which also technically means you qualify for Epic level feats, in addition to the whole shitton of feats, Ability score boosts, BAB, etc., from your levels. If you go with Barbarian instad of Druid, you become death machine incarnate, dealing an average of 5000 or so damage on a successful charge. Cleric is possible. But druid means it gets an animal companion, and if you get really evil/munchkinny with it, you can have it's companion be even stronger than it. And so forth. Infinite uber-companions.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 27, 2014, 01:25:47 am »

Any updates incoming? Hiatus? Death? What's going on with this- Our party seems eccentric enough that I'd like to keep this going, if possible.

Curiosity/Impatience got the best of me.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 27, 2014, 09:02:56 am »

Waiting for player actions. Surrah and Kre!aqil need to roll their fortitude saves, and then I need the rest of the party's actions. The turn order is on page 30 or so.

As for the honorable party, you just need to get yourselves together :P.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 27, 2014, 09:59:30 am »

Did I make it safely to the portal?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 27, 2014, 12:01:01 pm »

Oh, wait, that was my message for the other D&D game :P.

I still believe I need actions for this, though.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 27, 2014, 12:04:40 pm »

Not yet.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 27, 2014, 12:12:05 pm »

Bugger. Time to look up the random encounter table for the elemental plane of fire.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 03, 2014, 11:36:49 pm »

Where does the Lone Ranger do with dead threads?

He bump da bump da bump da bump da bump da bump da bump da bump da bumps them.

It's better aloud.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34