Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34

Author Topic: [3.5e D&D] A Game of Death and Destruction  (Read 47655 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5e D&D] A Game of Death and Destruction
« Reply #315 on: January 05, 2014, 12:26:50 am »

Eh...I suppose it wouldn't make much of a difference versus full plate, save for being (nearly) unaffected by flat-footed and slightly more affected by touch. Well, and heavier/higher check penalty, but I don't really care about that.

I thought dragons/giants with racial hit die could be proficient in armor?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 05, 2014, 12:30:36 am »

Someone should make a Paladin of Freedom.  And just spam Water Devotion.

(I may be being facetious with this post.)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 05, 2014, 12:41:14 am »

Wait, since this game is being run with standard rules, is Favored Class a thing? Because it's stupid, and I wanted to make sure that you did not use it.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 05, 2014, 01:11:44 am »

Eh...I suppose it wouldn't make much of a difference versus full plate, save for being (nearly) unaffected by flat-footed and slightly more affected by touch. Well, and heavier/higher check penalty, but I don't really care about that.

I thought dragons/giants with racial hit die could be proficient in armor?

Nah, Dragons aren't proficient in armor, and the giant entry states:
Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Giants not described as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Giants are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
And trolls aren't described as wearing armor.

On the other part, the only real plus of Dendritic over the others is that with a DC 25 Strength check, you can move quick again... That's really it.. I'd honestly suggest Mithral Full plate, unless you're planning on using the heavy armor optimization feats/other feats and things that require heavy armor
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 05, 2014, 01:33:07 am »

Aye, but stone fits thematically.

Also, I would have a Strength of 44 before magic items. I can make the Strength check. Usually. But in any case, I don't know how much of a benefit Mithral would be(I suppose it could get me another +2 to AC from Dex, though) versus other things.

Possibly not a Crusader; a Paladin/Cavalier or Paladin/Ranger(or all three) mounted charger would be hilariously ridiculous; thanks to my sheer power, I would function on land, too. The question is what sort of mount to use and how to acquire it. And whether I would be able to.

EDIT: Also, question: Half-Fey or Phrenic? Both are +4 Cha, +2 LA Inherited Templates, it's just that one is psionic and the other is magic/fey. Psi-like abilities versus spell-like abilities...hmmmm...I have no idea, and no familiarity with psionic classes whatsoever, so I'm asing you guys.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:48:13 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:32 am »

Aye, but stone fits thematically.

Also, I would have a Strength of 44 before magic items. I can make the Strength check. Usually. But in any case, I don't know how much of a benefit Mithral would be(I suppose it could get me another +2 to AC from Dex, though) versus other things.

Possibly not a Crusader; a Paladin/Cavalier or Paladin/Ranger(or all three) mounted charger would be hilariously ridiculous; thanks to my sheer power, I would function on land, too. The question is what sort of mount to use and how to acquire it. And whether I would be able to.

On the mounts; it looks like the only things big enough are Dragons (Which actually have mount rules, and never once says they cost more for having an older dragon) And Scorpions/Spiders (You have to use colossal though- something about riding too low, so you have to use an extra size bigger.. Don't worry, they come in colossal too.-also, it states a price for egg/training, but it never says that it costs any more for a bigger one :P.. 2000 GP for a Colossal Spider Mount? Sounds fair to me) You could also theoretically use a soarwhale (Colossal size, and only 20' flying speed, but hey- It's a giant friggin' whale, what do you expect?), but I'm not finding much else (Arms and Equipment Guide for the Win!)

EDIT: Just realized that two of our backups are just big, strong, incredibly strong "Monsters"... I feel like our first roll is all going to be ranged glass cannons, and our second roll is going to be all incredibly strong melees/War hulks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:55:59 am by Delioth »
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 05, 2014, 02:01:22 am »

I've got my character figured out, though not completely committed to a sheet yet: a half-nymph petal factotum. Absurdly high int score + Font of Inspiration = win. Daily SLAs, sneak attacks, factotum level to skills, int to attack rolls, all the skills, tiny size, flight... I like this character.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 05, 2014, 09:59:15 am »

Wait, since this game is being run with standard rules, is Favored Class a thing? Because it's stupid, and I wanted to make sure that you did not use it.
Of course Favored Class is a thing. It's a thing that mysteriously has no impact on this game, but it's a thing nonetheless.

Yeah, My backup char is a half-dragon troll with 39 Strength, and 28 Con, although at this point, I don't actually have a class level (6 racial HD, +5 LA from Troll, +3 LA from half-dragon).. But I can take the -3 to attack from my non-proficiency in armor (While still having an attack bonus of 13.).

For a second backup, I'm thinking of doing something on an exotic mount. Do we have anyone interested in rolling up an aquatic party to use? DM, your thoughts on this?- Can we introduce extra chars to the game, and switch out between adventures?
I'm fine with it, and sure.

Could I take a feat from the Dragonlance setting? It's not WOTC, but I thought I might as well ask.
Nope.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 05, 2014, 02:17:55 pm »

Of course Favored Class is a thing. It's a thing that mysteriously has no impact on this game, but it's a thing nonetheless.
Delightful.
Could I take a feat from the Dragonlance setting? It's not WOTC, but I thought I might as well ask.
Nope.
Bugger. It's like you're trying to make all spellcasters dragonwrought kobolds.

Luckily, I've discovered Illumians, and, consequentially, DEX or STR based casting! Also, half-breeds! Half-goliath, half dragonwrought kobold!

Edit: I've finally got the basics of my character worked out. Ten levels of Archivist, followed by four races, and two templates. I'll explain the templates in a moment.

His mother was a half Kendar, half Pixie, which, by half breed rules (average of LAs + 1), comes out to +3 LA. His father was a half Lupine, half Illumian. The Lupine was Kord-blooded (MMV), +1 LA, totaling +2 LA. The Illumian was a Mulhorandi Divine Minion (Here), +2 LA. This comes out to be +3 LA, and the final mixing creating me gives me +4 LA.

Gods above, I love powergaming!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:38:00 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 05, 2014, 03:57:30 pm »

Edit: I've finally got the basics of my character worked out. Ten levels of Archivist, followed by four races, and two templates. I'll explain the templates in a moment.

His mother was a half Kendar, half Pixie, which, by half breed rules (average of LAs + 1), comes out to +3 LA. His father was a half Lupine, half Illumian. The Lupine was Kord-blooded (MMV), +1 LA, totaling +2 LA. The Illumian was a Mulhorandi Divine Minion (Here), +2 LA. This comes out to be +3 LA, and the final mixing creating me gives me +4 LA.

Sorry, (From the OP):
*snip*
Each player begins at ECL 14, and they may only be Level 10 at most (or, in other words, through templates and advanced races, you must have an LA of at least 4, including racial Hit Dice), and may only apply one template.
*snip*
Help us write a story!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 05, 2014, 03:59:32 pm »

I received some sound inspiration for the level rules from some 18th level campaign I stumbled upon.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 05, 2014, 04:08:43 pm »

Sorry, (From the OP):
*snip*
Each player begins at ECL 14, and they may only be Level 10 at most (or, in other words, through templates and advanced races, you must have an LA of at least 4, including racial Hit Dice), and may only apply one template.
*snip*
I realized that, and hoped that by my twisting the wording of it, I could get away with it, since I was applying it to my grandparents, not me.
Edit: Ooh, I'll just add more crossbreeding!

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 05, 2014, 04:21:37 pm »

Also, Remuthra, Here is the resource I found the half-golem templates from (Page 43/44), it says they're in the monster manual with updates to 3.5 (I don't have the guide, but I've checked from various resources, and they all agree on the stats & abilities). I'm really only concerned about stone or brass or iron (If you only feel like doing one, I'll use that one. Feel free to negate some clauses-probably the "Immunity to all spells, except this type just slows, and this type just heals"). I'd be willing to even do the will save or become construct, neutral evil, with a hatred towards fleshlings
Help us write a story!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 05, 2014, 04:24:07 pm »

Based on the templates, I'll just say:
CR+4=LA+5
CR+3=LA+4

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 05, 2014, 04:56:48 pm »

Remuthra, would a half-breed have it's parent's racial hit dice? For instance, if a doppelganger had a child with a human, would they have the doppelganger's racial hit dice?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34