Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dwarven Academy of Science: The New Knowledge Center  (Read 33182 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Academy of Science: The New Knowledge Center
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 12:39:05 am »

Added the Dwarven submarine thread. Some very interesting stuff going on there.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 08:00:08 pm »

Medical science:
Science: some observations on infection and death. Supports general consensus that soap is best, soap water optimal, also provides hypotheses for how infection/blood loss is decided by the game.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2014, 03:13:30 pm »

Supports general consensus that soap is best, soap water optimal, also provides hypotheses for how infection/blood loss is decided by the game.
Soap with clean water, or soap followed by doses of clean water? I don't think there's enough evidence for the latter, and I haven't checked out soap with stagnant water vs. soap with clean water.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2014, 04:35:30 pm »

Updated to include Larix's supersonic minecart and wireless minecart signals.

Lithare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2014, 02:20:45 pm »

posting to follow

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2016, 06:20:17 am »

Is it totally dead? I don't really want to necropost... but it is so extremally cool...

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2016, 02:26:09 pm »

The only recent research I can think of to add to this would be the design for Marksdwarf training using unhittable live targets. I read it, got super excited, then didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it anywhere. :( The advantages are:

-The live target increases skill gain dramatically
-Beause the target never actually gets hit, it never gets killed, and doesn't need to be replaced. This reduces micromanagement significantly.
-Bolts can be reused (IIRC)

If anyone knows where this design can be found, please link - it's the best marksdwarf training I know of, and deserves to be in the knowledge compendium.

Can anyone else think of recent research that should be added?
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2016, 02:38:27 pm »

I think I recall the one you mean. It has a goblin on a pillar with a bridge blocking line of sight between it and the marksdwarves. The bridge goes down briefly, the dwarves shoot, and the bridge goes up before the bolts get to the goblin, blocking them. I think it had a patrolling soldier to trigger the bridge via a pressure plate.

At least that's the way I remember it, but I may have some details wrong. I'll see if i can dig it up.

Edit: Found it. It was hard to find because it's described as an unlimited adamantine generator, not a marksdwarf training range.
So... yeah. Unlimited adamantine generator. No mods.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:07:29 pm by khearn »
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2016, 03:53:53 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154895.0

My on going library research probably qualifies.

Edit: I just noticed this was a necro from two years ago. Why would you necro a dead thread? The author is not likely to update it at this point. Create your own listing if you like the idea so much.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:10:19 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2016, 07:30:08 pm »

Well, if it's a collection of info that's still useful, it makes sense to keep it around, rather than lose it. I suppose he could have started a new thread and just copied in all of the links from the original thread, but that seems silly to me.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2016, 08:39:16 pm »

Well, if it's a collection of info that's still useful, it makes sense to keep it around, rather than lose it. I suppose he could have started a new thread and just copied in all of the links from the original thread, but that seems silly to me.

But no one can update the main list since the op has been offline and I should think having to read each post in the thread sorta defeats the purpose.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2016, 11:03:57 am »

I think I recall the one you mean. It has a goblin on a pillar with a bridge blocking line of sight between it and the marksdwarves. The bridge goes down briefly, the dwarves shoot, and the bridge goes up before the bolts get to the goblin, blocking them. I think it had a patrolling soldier to trigger the bridge via a pressure plate.

At least that's the way I remember it, but I may have some details wrong. I'll see if i can dig it up.

Edit: Found it. It was hard to find because it's described as an unlimited adamantine generator, not a marksdwarf training range.
So... yeah. Unlimited adamantine generator. No mods.
It was a different one with a vertical design involving wells. It's unfortunate that the word "well" has an irrelevant, more common definition, because I absolutely can't find the thread either.

Edit: Thankfully, I remembered that somebody linked to it from the Ultimate Marksdwarf Guide thread:
New generation archery range & ammo splitter. >99% recycle rate!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:15:07 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2016, 03:06:15 pm »

heh. I ran across that one while I was hunting, but I ignored it because it wasn't the one I was thinking of. :-)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2016, 05:33:26 pm »

I made one for Bonepillar community fortress.
It works, levels up fast, but does give vengeful thoughts.
The Marksdwarf Training Facility Tower (M.T.F.T) plans:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5