Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A peculiar thing about Dwarves and strange moods...  (Read 3275 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
A peculiar thing about Dwarves and strange moods...
« on: December 25, 2013, 07:17:01 pm »

...They do not fear death.

This is one of my Dwarf children to recently join adulthood, 8th F. Master Id Polishwind. He has a strange mood centered around making something shiny in the magma forges. The magma forges located within the evil side of the map's two biomes. The one Id keeps bringing bones to. The same bones which reanimate and attack the other metalworkers. The metalworkers who the Fort relies entirely on for metal arms. The Fort with help 60zlvls away. Id keeps piling bones, when the bones leave the Forge Id gets more bones. So far no undead is strong nor fast enough to kill Id.

• Id resists passively, blocking attacks but so far never striking back.
  • Id is single-minded in his goal of acquiring strange mood items.
  • I do not know how the bones leaving the forge affect his order priority. I'm willing to hazard a guess and say this is the only exception to Dwarves gathering their materials in order, necromancy is of sufficient strength to alter the behaviour of a strange Dwarf.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A peculiar thing about Dwarves and strange moods...
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 07:35:41 pm »

Interesting how the "get materials for the project" instinct overrides the "OH GOD SKELETONS RUN AWAY" instinct. If only dwarves had this manner of disregard more often.
 How long has Id 'been in the mood'? Do you think he'll eventually snap if this keeps up? Also, what type of mood is it?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 08:25:22 pm »

Oooooooh!

So long as you have inanimate bones available, Id will keep doing this. "Available" means "not undead or forbidden", FYI, so you might want to go into the stocks and mass forbid all piles of bones if you don't want Id to keep generating live training targets.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 08:50:28 pm »

How long has Id 'been in the mood'? Also, what type of mood is it?
Id takes 24 ticks to take one step, and takes roughly a combined total of 1200 steps to get one material. Id's successfully brought 6 materials, so has been fey for at least 17,280,000 ticks | 200 days | 7 months, extra bones notwithstanding.

Do you think he'll eventually snap if this keeps up?
Probably not. Since he's technically still gathering materials, he isn't failing. He'll just keep trying until he makes it. He's much more likely to die from zombie.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 11:52:00 pm »

I feel bad for the little guy, he just wants an metal artifact of the highest quality; not his fault the ground itself animates his materials with evil spirits intent on his destruction.

Certainly a new twist on Dwarven Determinators. Does he have any injuries yet? Only a matter of time really.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 09:31:51 am »

The kind thing to do might be to trap him, then deconstruct the magma forge he is trying to work at so that he goes insane and kills himself.

And by 'kind', I mean for everyone else.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:55:04 am »

Maybe assign him to a small burrow that contains a few bones? Have a few dwarves stock some just outside of the reanimation range that he can get to?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 01:02:21 pm »

You could try forbiding all the other bones than the one he uses, and station soldiers at the forge. When they re-kill the bones, he might be close enough to use the bones before they re-animate.

It wouldn't work unless there is only one request for bones and it's the last thing he needs before starting. I'm not sure if being in the process of being used would keep it from reanimating again.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 12:30:30 pm »

It wouldn't work unless there is only one request for bones and it's the last thing he needs before starting. I'm not sure if being in the process of being used would keep it from reanimating again.
Probably not, since materials are considered "being used" if it's already marked for pickup and stay the way until the task is complete or stopped, although I believe they are not marked for use until the moody dwarf actually gets to that point in the list.

I think it works like this:
"Hmm, I have the metal, the gem, the other gem, the leather, so now I need... a bone!"
*grabs bone, takes bone back to forge*
*bone reanimates, leaves forge, kills metalsmith*
"Okay, now I have the metal bar, the gem, the other gem, the leather... huh, I don't have the bone I need, so I'll go get one!"
*runs off to get another bone*

I wouldn't mind seeing what would happen if Id starts his mysterious construction, and then the bone reanimates.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 03:54:08 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing what would happen if Id starts his mysterious construction, and then the bone reanimates.

This is a masterfully crafted adamantine hammer. It is studded with gems, lined with gems, and ringed with cat leather. It menaces with spikes of undead. It hungers for brains.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 06:20:11 pm »

This is a masterfully crafted adamantine hammer. It is studded with gems, lined with gems, and ringed with cat leather. It menaces with spikes of undead. It hungers for brains.
So Id is literally attempting to hammer undead into his works? This is a scenario I can live with.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 12:55:43 pm »

Too bad adamantine hammers suck.
._.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 01:21:57 pm »

Too bad adamantine hammers suck.

That was part of the joke.  :P
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 02:27:22 pm »

Id managed to finish hammering the last arm into his secret project, surrounded by 80 elite soldiers at all times. Unfortunately the arm he hammered into the weapon didn't resurrect whilst he worked on it, so I won't know what happens if it happens.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was definitely worth the trouble.

brokegamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 03:07:39 pm »

One of these days I will actually bother with giving dorfs moodable skills so I get stuff like this :o Until then it's swan bone rings all the way.

Are there any special circumstances around child moods? I didn't really have one ever and I've had three in my current fort.
I do let's plays on them there 'tubes.

Chances are if I'm making a post, I'm drunk.
Pages: [1] 2