Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: The Official Bay 12 Fifty-Two Books Challenge: 2014 Edition  (Read 12413 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay 12 Fifty-Two Books Challenge: 2014 Edition
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2014, 06:48:31 am »

6/26
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Two more completed for me. Rangers at War was decently informative, although going through the chronology of the Vietnam War repeatedly for every division and independent brigade deployed there seemed somewhat repetitive. Should be good background information for one of the story ideas in my head, although I need some better ideas for making it fit right into the context of combat recon operations.

Old Nathan was somewhat enjoyable, the tales of a early American backwoods sorcerer, although the vernacular dialogue was a bit of a problem for me. The stories themselves were quite fun, episodic in nature, but with a relatively unsatisfying ending.

I also began and stopped reading two books. First, This book is full of spiders which seemed very schlocky and lame to me. It might be because a lot of Wong's writing has turned me off of him in the past, but I got a few chapters in before I put it down. Secondly, I made a valiant but misguided attempt to read Ballistics: Theory and Design of Guns and Ammunition. Looks like it's a graduate textbook level treatment on the topic. I'm a decentish enough hand at both physics and calculous, but even without four years of Army dumbing me down, I think that 26 formula in the first 12 pages would be enough to beat me down. Maybe after I get book smart again I can try it.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 26, 2014, 02:27:32 pm »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2014, 11:55:06 am »

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:39:56 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2014, 02:50:59 pm »

I own too many books

Impossible!!!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2014, 08:57:29 pm »

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:33:44 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2014, 05:13:49 pm »

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:31:15 pm by Vector »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2014, 07:06:47 pm »

Spoiler: ??? / 52 (click to show/hide)

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2014, 08:35:56 pm »

Spoiler: 8/52 (click to show/hide)

Gah. Done, finally. Not a bad trilogy, really, but it has its rough spots. There was one chapter near the end which didn't seem to be revised at all...must've been missed or something?

'twas mostly nice to read, though it's now time to get back to the grim, the dark, the darkest grim of grim dark, Joe Abercrombie, and his world of getting dead for real. Then maybe I'll take a shot at the second book in Peter Hamilton's massive Night's Dawn trilogy, alone about the same length as the trilogy I just finished.

So, all in all, I'll probably get 10 books read this year, considering the pace I've set. Go me.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 07, 2014, 09:00:04 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:55:16 am by Vector »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2014, 08:39:40 am »

Spoiler: 56+/52 (click to show/hide)

And that's Worm finished. I guess I'll read Pact now, unless something else comes up.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:17:06 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2014, 02:24:39 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:37:48 am by Vector »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2014, 06:46:06 am »

Spoiler: 16/52 (click to show/hide)
A Visit from the Goon Squad
Jennifer Egan
16-Aug-14

Well. I have no idea what the plot was, but it was a pretty fun book to read.

I seemed to have completely wrecked my PC so I think I'm going to get that 52 in time after all P:

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 23, 2014, 06:09:51 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:37:25 am by Vector »

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 23, 2014, 06:57:01 pm »

Spoiler: 9/52 (click to show/hide)

Finished in 20 days. This might be a personal record for this year. I had occasional days where I could get through 100+ pages. Sadly, these days were spread rather thin, so the words/day average is a much more pitiable number in reality.

Another fine book by Abercrombie though. Best Served Cold is a delightful tale of vengeance and how awful and wasteful it is. And how that doesn't stop people needing it. It's also really good at making you feel sad and upset. Like I said, delightful.

Was going to begin reading The Neutronium Alchemist, but after a trip to Toronto, I now own a copy of House of Leaves. Can't seem to resist reading it right away. I started reading bits of it before I even finished the last book...

Edit: this post isn't a book
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:15:59 pm by Kirbypowered »
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2014, 04:00:47 pm »

Spoiler: 17/52 (click to show/hide)
Foundation and Empire
Isaac Asimov
25-Aug-14

I'm not impressed.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13