Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video Tutorial  (Read 1123 times)

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Video Tutorial
« on: November 16, 2007, 07:25:00 pm »

Alright guys, I'm currently (due to another post) working on a video tutorial for Dwarf Fortress, and would like to know what you guys and gals think I should put in it.

I'm trying to keep it to the bare basics, get a fortress up and surviving.

So what should I all have in it?

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Re: Video Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 10:22:00 pm »

I think you could follow up and replicate this tutorial and show in video how each of every step on it should work.

Also I would like to see a throughout video explanation of pumps and mechanisms. Being the kind of stuff most difficult to explain only with static images and text.

I already know how to use them. But even with the current tutorials I had to rebuild my first pumps several times in order to get them to work correctly.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 11:01:00 pm »

Well, Ill have to split it up into multiple videos, so Ill probaly do a tutorial series. The first one being basic basic world generation, starting, embarking, digging, and farming, with showing how to setup a wood workshop, make a bed, and how to place the bed/assign a room. Ill continue on from there if I get enough support/people wanting it.

Melody

Edit: I'm thinking about using Revver, because the Youtube is becoming increasingly disatisfactory for me. Does anyone have a better solution for video hosting?
I'm also in need of some kind of codec advice, for the smallest possible file size. I mean, this is DF afterall, we don't need the most pristine video ever.

All help is appreciated

[ November 16, 2007: Message edited by: Kayla ]

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 11:40:00 pm »

You could post a much longer video with a much shorter load time if you use the video service at the map archive site.  It will also look a whole lot clearer than youtube as well.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:46:00 pm »

I'm not recording it with Dwarf Fortress itself, as I will be using text overlays to explain what to do, what each button does, so on and so forth. With nice music in the background ^_^

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 01:29:00 am »

Add some nice background music too!

If possible of course  ;)

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Blargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://No...
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 02:02:00 am »

I strongly approve of this initiative! You win: A digital high five.

*digital high five*

quot;Wise men often quote other wise men. The wisest quote themselves."

- Blargh (2007)

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 07:55:00 am »

So far, I'm at about the seven minute marker in the video. Right now Im explaining  the local/region/world picker thing, and then I'll take a break for a bit, I got a lunch to go to, and celebrate my birthday, then I'll be back working on this.

I hope its not all in vain and you know, like someone beat me to the punch or something ^_^

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 07:16:00 am »

Due to the influx of updates, and my own personal life taking over, I have not finished the tutorial (but I got relatively close). I am sorry. If anyone else wants to take on the mantle, by all means.

Kayla

Das123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

Its a shame you won't be able to finish you work. Sounds like you have put a lot of effort in already. Would it help if you narrowed your expectations of the tutorial and just finish off the world generation video at this stage.

As far as the technical side goes (although it may be a little too late for this), Camtech has a good video-making program that captures the screen. I tried a few to test them out and the Camtech program used the least resources. I would make these in reasonable resolution such as 640 x 480.

From there, after editing, I think it is best to resize the video to 320 x 240 as an AVI file for YouTube, but I've never had great luck in keeping quality in the upload process to YouTube. The best quality I've been able to keep with videos like this is transfering the video to Flash Video Format (FLV), and then hosting the videos on my own website.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »

I actually finished the World Generation stage, and got up to embarking-screen, but then real life kicked me awake and I had to start worrying about that.