Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World seed and various effects  (Read 482 times)

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World seed and various effects
« on: December 24, 2013, 05:41:24 pm »

Hi all! Merry Christmas!

I made a world last night waiting for my kids to go to sleep that had everything I've ever dreamt of. Abundant precious metals - the most common ore is native gold, but aluminium, platinum, silver and copper are there too, iron ores, 2 types of coal, marble, a volcano, sand and a river all in untamed wilds (personal favourite). The only thing I can think of that's missing is fire clay. There's even tin and nickel ores!!! And if you squint and tilt you head to the right, the world map even looks like America!

So I've saved the worldgen and emailed it to my brother, but for some reason he's not able to generate the same world (I also emailed him a savegame for comparison).

I'm using lazy newb pack v.0.5.3 with no aquifers and a tileset and other things turned on and off. I was under the impression that the seed is an independent thing, immune to the effects of tilesets, invasions on or off, number of children and aquifers. Am I correct? Has my brother done his copy/paste wrong? Could a world seed generate a different world on an 32 bit processor compared to a 64 bit processor? I've created the world on my system 5 times now with exactly the same results, so I know it's repeatable for me at least.
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: World seed and various effects
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 11:49:54 am »

'No aquifers' likely edits the raws, which will affect worldgen.

Any raw edits can, some more than others.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
Re: World seed and various effects
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »

You can always just email him the entire save if you don't want to mess around.  It'll use your raws if you've changed them at all so he'll be able to play it as you do.
I like sushi.