Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The City  (Read 1338 times)

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The City
« on: December 24, 2013, 04:46:20 am »

An idea for a cool community game came to me earlier - using nanofortress, we set up a 1x1 (48 x 48 tile) embark with an end-point structure in mind, like a gardening plot, or a tower or something like that.  The edges are paved with 2-wide roads before the site is laired (using dfhack), then either retired or abandoned.  The next person must then embark into an adjacent tile, with the proviso that the outside must be paved with 2-wide roads all around.

Each turn builds a new block onto the city, and each block holds living and working places as well as any art that community is able to put up - all connected by paved main roads arounf the outside, and smaller paved roads through the center.  When explored with an adventurer, we'd see a thriving dwarven city growing and developing in response to the various threats from outside the city.  Since adventurers can move objects from one area to the next, a whole city block might be dedicated to masonry or metal-smithing.  Welcome to the craft area of the city!  Another might be dedicated to food or alcohol production.  Or high-rises for the masses, or a carefully tended park with a gazebo, or...or...or...

Anyway, that's the idea.

I figured if anyone was interested we could set it on my "Luckiest Tourist Ever" map, that has various things constructed on it already.  Maybe set it up as the populace of the Forbidden City.  "The Mountainhomes" would be quite impressive then, rather than the idea of "that's where we came from" that we have now.

The "Luckiest Tourist Ever" game uses Masterwork v3, (I'll probably be porting it to v4, though, just to keep it updated). The list of mods required is the ones that come with v3 and v4, This uses the Phoebus graphics set.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:24:23 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: The City
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 05:24:42 am »

What about the materials? Will they be brought with the settlers, or obtained via dfhack? Or we're going to excavate the place before building something?

Anyway, that seems interesting. Count me in. Could you also post the list of needed mods/utilities?
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:58:13 am »

Materials can be gained in three ways: If they pre-exist in a previous embark, using an adventurer to bring them to the site you plan to embark on is allowed.  Otherwise, trading with caravans  or making it yourself is your only other options.  Having enough people on a turn list, each claiming a plot of land to "develop" on their own turn will let everyone else know what they might need to accomplish it.  When we recycle through the turn list, players will be allowed to choose to either start a new zone or re-embark in one of the zones they used for a previous turn (or another's if they post permission).  In this manner, each block in the city may be "modernized" a few times as it grows to maturity.

Since this game will be using The Misty Isle from the "Luckiest Tourist Ever" games, you may get some of the previous fortresses' historic dwarves as citizens of The City.  Who knows?  The Tourist Himself or the Greg the tour guide may decide to visit. (If so, please leave them be - anybody harms Twoflower or Greg will incur the Wrath of the Creator Himself! (I'll be miffed)"
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:49:18 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 08:19:45 am »

this sounds neat, I could possibly work in that script months ago that allows anyone to embark with any historical entity/civilization so you could move in someone from another district to another district or plop a group of orcs into a hotel and watch them WAAAGGHHH.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:36:05 am »

That's be great, Rumrusher.  Our city would be metropolitan indeed!

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 01:54:57 am »

i would be interested in giving this a go in a few weeks.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 07:27:17 am »

"The (Forbidden) City" will be slowly built here block by block.  When the game begins, The "Ancient and Honorable Guild of Historians and Geomancers" may donate a scroll to the City founders detailing all of the site's basic information, like they did for the founders of the Lonely Mountain embark.

"No-one who has tried to explore this mysterious place in the exact center of the Isle has ever come back to tell the tale..."
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:50:29 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii