Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Concerning the automatic factories...

Have few types but with many possible functions for each.  The simpler option
- 38 (42.2%)
Have many different types that each takes a particular input, for long assembly lines
- 29 (32.2%)
Have many types, allow using the wrong ones, but using them correctly lets the items have quality levels
- 23 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: [GNOME] - V0.78.2: Latest Patch: Couple of bugfixes  (Read 45178 times)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can i unzip this into Masterwork v4h without any problems, or do i have to use v4g?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

you have to delete a few files if you use 4h.
Tried couple of different worldgens, only get grenade launchers instead of drills on embark

What?  You're not supposed to even have access to grenade launchers on embark.

EDIT: Checked it on my computer, it seems to work fine.  OH!  I changed some of the file names to include a 'z' in them to change the order of the items in the raws.  If you loaded it into the old files, they might not be overwritten, so you might have duplicate raws.

Delete the files item_gnome, inorganic_gnome, and building_gnome if you have them.  These files have been changed to item_z_gnome, inorganic_z_gnome, and building_z_gnome.

Gnomes shouldn't have special weapons unless you build them in-game (they do have access to the dwarven throwing weapons though).
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks! It won't break the settings or anything then?

EDIT: The GUI seems to work just fine.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:48:44 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: [GNOME] - V0.42: More Mechanized Madness
« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2014, 07:38:26 pm »

Another little update: The Aerial Transport Device can now be automated when provided with a power source.  They can also be set to throw only invaders (note that this will not work against any wild animals, even dangerous ones.  However, if you set it to throw anyone, it will work on all creatures).  Be sure to turn off the power before adjusting it...
Gnomes can also make soft cushions in the tailor shop, which can be used as building materials.  Theoretically, the floor material affects damage taken from collisions, so padding the floors can reduce damage from flinging gnomes about.  Practically, they still tend to die on impact, unless I'm missing something.
There are also a few more automated machines: the Mist Generator produces good-thought-inducing mist when placed over water, or deadly magma mist when  placed over magma.  The Druidic Device will draw wild animals closer, which can help if you're trying to tame them.
The Animatronic Statue, Infrasonic Organ, and Thunder Coil don't do anything.  Yet.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2014, 11:09:54 pm »

Another little update: The Aerial Transport Device can now be automated when provided with a power source.  They can also be set to throw only invaders (note that this will not work against any wild animals, even dangerous ones.  However, if you set it to throw anyone, it will work on all creatures).  Be sure to turn off the power before adjusting it...
Gnomes can also make soft cushions in the tailor shop, which can be used as building materials.  Theoretically, the floor material affects damage taken from collisions, so padding the floors can reduce damage from flinging gnomes about.  Practically, they still tend to die on impact, unless I'm missing something.
Perhaps you're missing the cushions.
. . .
yeah, that was bad.

Anyway, do clockborgs fare any better? Practically speaking, I suppose it would still concuss them to death, but still...
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #201 on: February 12, 2014, 03:02:53 am »

Theoretically, the floor material affects damage taken from collisions
I dont think they do...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 12, 2014, 03:58:55 am »

Theoretically, the floor material affects damage taken from collisions
I dont think they do...

The wiki article on gravity claims that denser floor materials are more damaging, but I don't know if anyone actually experimented with it.  Or it could simply be that even soft cushiony foam isn't enough to keep a catapulted gnome from breaking his head.

What's the source for the material in the arena?  We need better science.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2014, 04:01:39 am »

Use liquids. I think if you catapult a dwarf gnome into a pool, he should be fine.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 12, 2014, 05:39:41 pm »

I did some more experiments.  Turns out the padded cushions DO reduce falling damage significantly, but you have to make a landing runway long enough so that they don't take damage from skidding across harder ground.  Building a padded wall in the way can also work.  Typically they'll come away with only bruises, although broken bones can still happen.

Water also works, although if your impact angle is low enough they'll skip across the water instead.

EDIT: There is a bug with the automatic machines where they don't update properly when loading a saved game.  To fix it, simply queue a new building and cancel it.  Not sure why this happens, but I'll try and fix it.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2014, 07:37:50 am »

Use liquids. I think if you catapult a dwarf gnome into a pool, he should be fine.
Besides, unless the unit in question has swimming skill or you've built a draining system, catapulting a gnome into the water would likely still result in fun.
I did some more experiments.  Turns out the padded cushions DO reduce falling damage significantly, but you have to make a landing runway long enough so that they don't take damage from skidding across harder ground.  Building a padded wall in the way can also work.  Typically they'll come away with only bruises, although broken bones can still happen.

Water also works, although if your impact angle is low enough they'll skip across the water instead.
Wow, that's pretty realistic.

Anyway, I kinda doubt it, but, this couldn't by any chance solve the "winged pets can't fly" bug, could it?
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2014, 10:12:45 am »

Anyway, I kinda doubt it, but, this couldn't by any chance solve the "winged pets can't fly" bug, could it?

Well...That depends on how broadly you want to define 'fly'  ;D

They don't start flying once they're in the air, if that's what you're asking, and hitting the ground hurts them just as much as any other creature.

On the subject of flying pets, it's worth noting that if you manage to tame a flying creature while it's in the air using the Nature Shrine, it just stops and hovers there until you build a stairway up to it.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2014, 07:06:58 pm »

So I'm playing with some ideas for a tech tree.  The question is, how far should gnomes be able to go with their technology?

What I'm thinking is that they shouldn't really be able to be 'dated' to any particular age of human history.  There should be some schizo tech going on here.  One logical thing to assume is that they should probably be far ahead with regards to any mining-related technology, and possibly a little behind with weaponry.

The major clincher here is electricity.  Should they be able to produce electricity?  What could it be used for without feeling too out-of-place (or more likely, just out of place enough)?

Experiments involving low current, high voltage electrostatic 'friction machines' (made of rapidly rotating glass and cloth) go back to the 1600s, and the first electricity-storing capacitors (made of glass jars and metal foil) were made around the 1700s.  The relationship between electricity and magnetism was discovered in the 1800s, which was also when the first electric dynamos were invented.  Even without a 'research' system (which I don't like very much), this progression could be more-or-less followed in a single gnome fortress: create an electrostatic generator using a powered workshop, use it to charge a capacitor, use the capacitor to create magnets in a forge or smelter, use the magnets to create a dynamo, create a generator using a dynamo, which can produce high-current electricity when powered by machinery.  Or hand-cranked for hand-held electric or electromagnetic tools and weapons.  Or used in an electrolytic cell that would allow them to extract aluminum from bauxite hundreds of years before anyone else figures it out and thereby become filthy rich?

Of course, maybe gnomes don't follow these rules.  What if they discovered high-voltage electric power, but never developed alternating current?  Maybe their connection to nature keeps them from making casual use of electric power, which is a highly wasteful energy source?  Or perhaps they just prefer clockpunk because it looks cool?

Just throwing ideas around.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2014, 07:11:34 pm »

I think the concept of power covers most of what could be done with electricity... And while I usually like your ideas, this time I don't^^ In general i prefer an approach of few tools - many usage options instead of countless tools - few usage options. So i would prefer more ideas connecting the already placed dots, instead of sprinkling more dots on the map ;)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2014, 07:32:55 pm »

The tech tree suggestion you made sounds pretty good. I'm fine with having a lot of componants that go into making something more advanced. The Fallout-Equestria mod uses a ridiculous amount of tools  and highly developed tech trees and I rather enjoyed that mod. They should definitely not have electricity-era technology in all areas. Especially since burning trees for energy is not very naturey.

Semi-random suggestion: Something I've run into occasionally in clockpunk stuff is a clockwork battery. A spring that is wound very tightly and then stopped from unwinding. You attach it to something and release the clamp and it powers the machine because of the pent-up force of the spring. It sounds like it would be right up the alley and tie into the gnomes current tech tree.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24