Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Concerning the automatic factories...

Have few types but with many possible functions for each.  The simpler option
- 38 (42.2%)
Have many different types that each takes a particular input, for long assembly lines
- 29 (32.2%)
Have many types, allow using the wrong ones, but using them correctly lets the items have quality levels
- 23 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: [GNOME] - V0.78.2: Latest Patch: Couple of bugfixes  (Read 45174 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

Btw, how about some sort of power generation with animal power? So pasture an animal on a workshop, run reaction, and then the animal generates power depending on its size? Something like that. Make those workshops 5x5, so it is quite some space investment to produce power that way.
Main reason for that is, that as it is right now, power generation is a pain in Vanilla, as any constructions involving waterwheels cause massive lag, while windmills are neither reliable nor practical.

This would be great.  Like a giant hamster wheel :)

Unfortunately, there are a lot of technical problems with power generation.  I don't actually know how the steam engine works and even it doesn't work perfectly, but until someone comes up with a better method modifications of it are the only options.  Though I suppose variations of the steam engine are possible, like a manually powered, low-power clockwork windup key or something similar.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [GNOME] - V0.4: Gizmos and Gadgets
« Reply #181 on: February 07, 2014, 07:04:50 am »

Next update.  This one patches up some things, like removing some superfluous workshops, adds some reactions to fill in the blank spaces and produce certain important materials (produce glue from milk or spiderwebs), and tosses in some new weapons... like grenade launchers and explosive traps of various types.  Attack enemies with fire, dragonfire, concussive blasts, glue, or... BEES.
Gnomes can make steam engines fairly easily, and also have an alternate power generation method - a giant clockwork key.  Which is not quite as useful as it was supposed to be, since it is based off of the steam engine and therefore requires water to run, but it does work without fuel.  Also the geologic seismograph can now be powered.

Rossol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 07, 2014, 11:40:33 pm »

Tried couple of different worldgens, only get grenade launchers instead of drills on embark

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2014, 11:39:29 am »

Tried couple of different worldgens, only get grenade launchers instead of drills on embark

What?  You're not supposed to even have access to grenade launchers on embark.

EDIT: Checked it on my computer, it seems to work fine.  OH!  I changed some of the file names to include a 'z' in them to change the order of the items in the raws.  If you loaded it into the old files, they might not be overwritten, so you might have duplicate raws.

Delete the files item_gnome, inorganic_gnome, and building_gnome if you have them.  These files have been changed to item_z_gnome, inorganic_z_gnome, and building_z_gnome.

Gnomes shouldn't have special weapons unless you build them in-game (they do have access to the dwarven throwing weapons though).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2014, 01:06:07 pm »

Thanks for the naming scheme change. If you need any changes in the other building files (for example because you use them, but they should be a different order), let me know.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2014, 11:46:36 am »

Feedback requested:

The nature merit system: is it too hard?  Too volitile?  Should your merits or demerits gradually decrease over time?

Should I make more robotic animals?  Fewer?  Any ideas for more unique ones?

I need ideas for more machines.  Something that can be powered, works automatically to do something continuously, and that would encourage connecting power to as many different locations in the fort as possible.  So far there's just the drill pump and the seismograph.  What else could there be?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2014, 12:16:28 pm »

Merit System: I havent tried it yet.

Robots: Not more, but maybe more to do with them. Adding upgrades, items to them, giving them abilities and tags. Overclocking for example, or weapons like your flamethrower/grenade launcher that add the fitting interactions.

Machines: Highly efficient ore processor, smelter (see arc furnace in RL), presses (better screw press), better quern, pressing metal (a coin mint), pressing metal in shapes (armors, weapons, ammo and the like), a mechanical lathe (improve items), lamps for rendermax that light up when powered... and ask warmist what happened to his dragonfire engine.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2014, 03:13:16 pm »

How about some workshop, that is able to do normal digging... I imagine a 9x9 workshop, and it has 5 reactions...
dig cone, dig north, dig south, dig west, dig west...
first one digs around in a circle, the other ones dig a 9 square wide corridor in the designated direction. If you give Gnomes no or a very low (<=20% learnrate for mining that would make it certainly interesting.

Another thing: Automatic animal care station
automatically shears, milks, feeds and heals animals in the area

automatic masonry/stonecrafting:
Not sure if it is possible, but could you access items lying on the floor of the workshop? In that case it would be possible to make a workshop that automatically turns stones lying on the workshop into a previously specified type of goods

So you run the reaction 'make blocks' or 'make crafts' and then the workshop periodically checks for stone boulders in it's area and works them into blocks or low value crafts. With some minecarts feeding the workshop this could be fun :D
Trust me, as someone that even with 16 masonry workshops had a shortage of blocks... :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2014, 04:05:35 pm »

warmist was working on something like this, a shredder that accepts items dropped on the workshop space and automatically uses them, but he said it causes quite a large FPS hit, because the workshop has to check whats on top of it every single tick.

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2014, 04:08:40 pm »

why? It would be perfectly reasonable to check it once an ingameday. Or is this not possible?

edit: I guess it could happen, that some boulders dropped on the workshop get immediately claimed for hauling tasks again... But except for that I see no problems with it...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2014, 04:35:05 pm »

dumped items are forbidden by default, they wouldnt be hauled away. But dont ask me about specifics, ask warmist. :P

mahrgell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2014, 04:42:55 pm »

dumped items are forbidden by default, they wouldnt be hauled away. But dont ask me about specifics, ask warmist. :P
minecarts don't dump :P

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2014, 05:20:15 pm »

There are already some powered workshops that do something each tick (the drill and the seismograph), but they don't seem to cause nearly as much of an FPS hit as I expected, and my computer isn't fast.  Then again, maybe item-checking is especially slow, since as far as I can tell the only way to tell whether or not an item is in a particular position is by running a check on all the items in the game and checking their positions.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well.  This one's pretty experimental, but...

The 'Aerial Transport Device' lets gnomes fling items across the map.  Including themselves.

It's not exactly useful like this, but it sure is fun to play with!

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

can you create something that reduces damage from falling upon impact? Cause then it could be used in a pretty interesting way to transport gnomes across the map.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24