Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Concerning the automatic factories...

Have few types but with many possible functions for each.  The simpler option
- 38 (42.2%)
Have many different types that each takes a particular input, for long assembly lines
- 29 (32.2%)
Have many types, allow using the wrong ones, but using them correctly lets the items have quality levels
- 23 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: [GNOME] - V0.78.2: Latest Patch: Couple of bugfixes  (Read 46106 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: [GNOME] - Collecting ideas
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2014, 01:25:11 pm »

Just a question, how well does the hire-guard script work?  The summon animal script is based on it but for some reason the script tends to break when running line-of-sight, and I don't know why.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2014, 02:00:40 pm »

You have to ask Kurik Amudnil, he wrote it. You might also ask Boltgun, about his corrupt script from Succubus fortress. Both do roughly the same.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2014, 05:37:22 pm »

What.
Why are all of my reactions that use tools missing their products.
Is this normal?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2014, 05:38:36 pm »

What?  Got no idea what you are talking about. You never posted any raws.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2014, 06:14:10 pm »

Never mind, found the issue.  I thought it was a hack thing but it wasn't.
I should have a preliminary beta out soon.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [GNOME] - Beta Release
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:44 am »

Beta version is up.

I didn't have the time to write out a full guide properly, and it's not exactly complete, but it is playable and you can recruit animals and build clockwork automatons.

Buildings:

Unraveler - Unravels clothing into thread.  Good for invasion cleanups (or it would be if invaders had clothes...)

Semaphore - Used to call the gnome caravan.  They will never come without it.  Calling is free for now.

Nature Shrine - Used to recruit and release animals.  Only natural, wild animals can be recruited.  It's free, but you have to be close to an animal to recruit it, and it has a chance of not working.  Try constructing a whole bunch of them all over the map so that you can recruit animals no matter where they go - you can even set up a shrine in the path of some meandering animals.  Gnomes are at peace with wildlife, so most of them won't run away.  Skilled animal trainers have a better chance of success, so you might want to embark with one.
You can also release animals by pasturing them next to the shrine and running the release reaction.  Only animals that were recruited from the wild can be released in this manner.  Releasing animals has a chance of granting you a 'druidic token'.  Skilled animal caretakers have a better chance of getting the token.
Druidic tokens can be used to recruit an animal from a much greater distance and with a higher chance of success.  It's useful for recruiting certain types of animals that do run away from your gnomes.  You can also use 10 druidic tokens to recruit all natural, tameable animals on the map.
You can also send a gnome away into the wild here.  This will get you a druidic token.
Recruiting animals can be a little buggy at times.  Flying animals will get stuck in midair, but you can build a stairway up to them to bring them down :)

Tinker's Workshop: For creating lenses and clockwork brains.  Both of these require raw glass.

Gadgeteer's Workshop: For creating all kinds of special equipment.  You'll need gears (created in a craftsman's workshop) and gear armor, hats, and boots (created in a metalsmith's forge).  Some gadgets require other items as well.  Gadgets typically function as armor that grants some kind of special effect, mostly doubling one stat and cutting another in half.

Artificer's Workshop: Currently only used to create artificial limbs and exoskeletons.

Conversion Chamber: Uses artificial limbs and exoskeletons to turn your gnomes into clockborgs.  Clockborgs are regular members of society.  If you give them strong metal limbs, they will be somewhat more effective in combat, however artificial tissues will not heal on their own if damaged - you must take them back to the conversion chamber to get them replaced.  It's best to save this for gnomes that are missing limbs.

Clockwork Automaton Workshop/Automaton Body Shop: Used to create automatons.  To create an automaton, you'll need a metal frame (created in the metalsmith's forge under 'other items'), 2 lenses and a clockwork brain from the Tinker's Workshop, and a whole bunch of gears.  The automaton will be made of whatever material its frame was made of (the material of the gears don't matter).  First you have to create the automaton, then activate it.  These two workshops are the same except for the types of automatons they make; the Clockwork Automaton Workshop is for small, utility or cheap automatons, while the Body Shop is for larger, combat-effective machines.  (Even a small automaton can be pretty tough if it's made of a good metal though.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2014, 09:25:27 am »

Nice, I will have a look straight away. :)

Some more suggestions, in case you ran out:

What do you think about explosions? Giving the chemist something to do, building bombs with large AoE effects. Possibly for catapults and ballista, maybe for special ranged weapons.

Or an Organ. Steam-powered instrument building that gives AoE buffs.

Observatory. Gives an interaction that targets a unit of any invader race on the map, does nothing, but has an TARGET_VERB, so the combat logs shows something. "Gnome uses observatory" "Kobold thief has been spotted". Players could check for thieves, kidnappers and ambushes, without actually revealing them.

Dfhacks regrowth and regrass also comes to mind, since gnomes are linked to nature. You can regrow all grass and saplings into trees, or insta-grow the seeds in farmplots.

Weather control. I wrote a pretty basic Orrery for the Warlocks, but the theme would even fit the gnomes. Dont know if you want to use this, but it allows starting rain, snow or clearing the sky. A bit inspired by the dwemer orrery in Tribunal for Morrowind.

Siren. A steampowered alarm siren that wakes up sleepers/stops breaks. Its just a reaction that calls the "siren" script for dfhack, I use it on the garrison on dwarf mode. Obviously fits gnomes as well.

A factory, which produces metal items in batches and uses no skills. If you dont assign a skill, the reaction finishes instantly, but the product has no quality. So you can churn out low-quality armor and weapons, or any item really, very quickly. Needs power, obviously.

Unique trap components, like the AoE one I posted yesterday.

EDIT: Does your itemsyndrome show any red errors? I still have them in my dfhack window. If you dont have any, could you please send me the version you use atm?

EDIT2: Last suggestion for now: Maybe the gm-editor allows to add GLOW_TILE to creatures on the map, which makes them visible through the fog of war. If you have an unexplored cavern, and a creature in it has a glowtile, you can see it, even if everything else is black. Would make a good "gnomish sonar/radar" thing. Or nature sense. You wouldnt see the creature, only the glowtile, so its just a red '!' or something. But I dont know if the gm-editor can do that... but I use glowtile on fireflies and glowfish/frogs to show some caverns already, that trick works for sure. :)

EDIT3: Graphics are missing. ^^
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:56:04 am by Meph »

Denisac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2014, 10:03:32 am »

Beta version is up.

Might I suggest making a bug reporting topic so you can keep this one for ideas without the clutter?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:16 am »

Any plans for creature sprites? Do you want to use this one as basis, or do you own version of gnomes?

EDIT: The unraveller is missing pants. The reaction for gloves say "unravel shoe" in the name.

[REACTION:RECLAIMTHREAD_GLOVES_FIBER_GNOME]
   [NAME:Unravel shoe (cotton)]
   [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]   
   [BUILDING:UNRAVELER_GNOME:CUSTOM_A]
   [REAGENT:A:1:GLOVES:NONE:NONE:NONE][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] [ANY_PLANT_MATERIAL]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:7500]
   [SKILL:WEAVING]

Are you sure that these work? I never got trueTransform to work with inorganics, I always had to use an inorganic to add an interaction, and trigger truetransform with the interactions. I also dont use \COMMAND on this, as the autosyndrome only has to apply the syndrome, not run a dfhack command. (except if you have something hidden here, which I dont see) If this works, than all the better, its certainly simpler than my design.

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:BORG_BISMUTH_BRONZE_GNOME]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_VAPOR_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL:Become a clockborg]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:\AUTO_SYNDROME]
[SYN_CLASS:\COMMAND]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:GNOME_CIV:ALL]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CLASS:BORG_2]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:PROB:100:START:0:END:1200]
[CE:CREATURE:BORG_GNOME:INTERMEDIATE]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:-modified-:-modified-:-modified-:START:1201]
[SYN_CLASS:\PERMANENT]
[SYN_CLASS:GNOME_CIV]
[SYN_CLASS:BORG_BISMUTH_BRONZE]

EDIT: These reaction have a (10) in the name, which I assume should be the amount of ITEM_TOOL_GEAR_GNOME... but the actual reagent is 20.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:REPAIR_GORILLA_GNOME]
[NAME:repair mechanical gorilla (10)]
[BUILDING:ROBOT_LARGE_GNOME:NONE][BUILDING:ROBOT_LARGE_MAGMA_GNOME:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DAMAGED_GORILLA_GNOME:INORGANIC:NONE]
[REAGENT:D:2:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LENS_GNOME:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BRAIN_GNOME:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:E:20:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_GEAR_GNOME:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_GORILLA_GNOME:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:MECHANICS]

[REACTION:REPAIR_SPIDERTANK_GNOME]
[NAME:repair mechanical spider tank (10)]
[BUILDING:ROBOT_LARGE_GNOME:NONE][BUILDING:ROBOT_LARGE_MAGMA_GNOME:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_DAMAGED_SPIDERTANK_GNOME:INORGANIC:NONE]
[REAGENT:D:2:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LENS_GNOME:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:B:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_BRAIN_GNOME:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:E:20:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_GEAR_GNOME:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SPIDERTANK_GNOME:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:MECHANICS]

mechanical dragon  :o [MATERIAL_SIZE:126] => Wow. 126 bars for the base model? (the raws look like it cant breathe fire, and it does not have the FIREIMMUNE_SUPER tag.)

Edit: It seems none of them have special abilities. Scorpions dont have poison, Spiders dont have webs... I guess its intentional, because you mentioned buildings weapons as tools and adding them to the creature later? Add poison to scorpion, add flamethrower to dragon, add web-thrower to spider?

"REAGENT:USE_COLOR_NAME" => Is this for some dfhack scripts? And on the same reaction: "PRODUCT:1:0:"... shouldnt that be the other way around? PRODUCT:0:1:

EDIT: One last thing: Keep in mind that Siege-Engineer has been renamed to Engineer in the mod. You use [SKILL:MECHANICS] a lot. Mechanics should be the basic dudes, making mechanisms and setting up traps. The actual work on machines could be done by the Engineers. Pump-Operating has been renamed to Machine Operating, so that fits some parts as well. :)

I havent played the gnomes yet, but I will once I am done with the Warlocks. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:48:51 am by Meph »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2014, 12:10:38 pm »

Had a look at the buildings as well. :)

And in case you want it, the building file for the 3x2 nature shrine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: OVERKILL OF SUGGESTIONS: I did add CREATURE_CLASS:MEGABEAST to all semimegabeasts/megabeasts in the mod, so you might be able to do a "charm megabeast" reaction somewhere, maybe into an upgrade of the nature altar. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:45:22 pm by Meph »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2014, 12:54:36 pm »

Okay, let me respond to these:

Does your itemsyndrome show any red errors? I still have them in my dfhack window. If you dont have any, could you please send me the version you use atm?
Yes, there are errors.  I haven't done extensive testing with itemsyndrome so I wasn't sure if it was a standard problem or not.  Going to have to fix those.

Maybe the gm-editor allows to add GLOW_TILE to creatures on the map...
Hm, sounds interesting... If I recall correctly GLOW_TILE is based on the creature raws.  Doesn't mean it can't be changed, just that I don't know how to do it yet.

I actually forgot to test the clockborgs... I based them off of your magic system, but there's probably a better way of doing it.  Maybe DFHack can actually replace missing limbs with metal.

I guess gnomes can have regrowing plants and weather control and stuff, but I'm trying to think of ways of improving gnome magic that won't trod on elf territory (since it's inevitable that someone will make an elf plugin sooner or later).  Since gnomes are poor fighters and can make good use of battle-capable pets, I think that gnomes focusing on animal training while letting elves focus on plants and flashier nature magic would be a good way of differentiating them.  DFhack is capable of doing all kinds of things with animal behavior, as I'm finding out.  For example, each creature has an idling spot and a particular creature it tends to follow around - this defaults to its owner/trainer and the general meeting area, but it doesn't have to be.  Giving gnomes control over these variables would allow you to create all-animal 'squads' and 'patrol routes', which I think could be fun - especially if you combined it with pressure plate-based creature logic machines.

Details concerning the automatons will be changed, I haven't decided on details yet (I designed them before discovering the joys of DFHack ;)).  Right now they're all basically the same except for size and some behavioral differences, but I'd like there to be less redundancy and more interesting abilities.  Some can even use scripts (like a perimeter guard creature that triggers the alarm script when hostiles are spotted).  The repair system also needs fixing - itemcorpses don't take the material properly.  I'll probably just use a corpse revival system.

USE_COLOR_NAME is used in the constructCreature script.  USE means to replace a material in the creature's body with the reagent's material, COLOR means it should determine the caste based on the material color, and NAME means that the material's name should be incorporated into the creature's name.  For most constructs you'll probably want all three applied to the same material.

Graphics are missing. ^^
Yes they are :)  I want them to run the whole gamut of gnome imaginings, from the 'garden gnome' variety peasants
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
all the way to the all-natural woodland druid and the decked-out steampunk engineer.  If any spriters want to help, that would be nice, as I'm not much of a graphic artist.  The automatons could just be the same as their animal bases though.

The buildings can also use work - I've tried using WorkshopDraw but they never seem to come out right with the graphics.  Unraveler is supposed to look like a slightly modified loom, and the Nature Shrine is supposed to be fairly small and unobtrusive by design (since you'll probably be throwing them all over the place in order to catch passing animals no matter where they roam).  Semaphore is a placeholder though.

(Wait, I just figured out how to load the graphics into WorkshopDraw.  Silly me for not noticing the Load Font button.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2014, 01:13:57 pm »

I can help with the sprites, if you want. I just need to know if you plan any changes on the nobles, or any special new nobles. I saw that the current ones are basicly the same as dwarves.

Hm, sounds interesting... If I recall correctly GLOW_TILE is based on the creature raws.  Doesn't mean it can't be changed, just that I don't know how to do it yet.
Yes, but gm-editor can change those. But its very hacky, and Putnam told me that its reset once you save and reload. So probably not the best idea.

I haven't done extensive testing with itemsyndrome so I wasn't sure if it was a standard problem or not.  Going to have to fix those.
No worries. Its just replacing the script itself with a fixed version, the syntax in the raws is correct.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2014, 04:21:43 am »

Remembered something I meant to suggest for gnomes a while back.

What if they got new 'schematics' to build new buildings with from studying combinations of already built structures? Add a reaction to every structure gnomes have called 'Carefully study <this workshop>' or something and have it so that it produces a 'Study on <This workshop>'. Two of these can be combined at the inventor's studio or something to produce a schematic for a new building type, which can then be copied and reproduced to build more stuff?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2014, 05:18:56 am »

Remembered something I meant to suggest for gnomes a while back.

What if they got new 'schematics' to build new buildings with from studying combinations of already built structures? Add a reaction to every structure gnomes have called 'Carefully study <this workshop>' or something and have it so that it produces a 'Study on <This workshop>'. Two of these can be combined at the inventor's studio or something to produce a schematic for a new building type, which can then be copied and reproduced to build more stuff?

I like the idea of combining results to get new buildings, but I don't like 'research' systems in general because they don't make logical sense (what, is their civ hiding information from them or something?)  Requiring high level machine parts makes sense though.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2014, 12:55:27 pm »

Their civ obviously is made up of mad scientists who are secretive about their information and designs. Every gnome fortress has access to basic principles of science, but they have to rediscover lots of stuff each time, so each gnome fort is it's own unique thing.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24