Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Concerning the automatic factories...

Have few types but with many possible functions for each.  The simpler option
- 38 (42.2%)
Have many different types that each takes a particular input, for long assembly lines
- 29 (32.2%)
Have many types, allow using the wrong ones, but using them correctly lets the items have quality levels
- 23 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: [GNOME] - V0.78.2: Latest Patch: Couple of bugfixes  (Read 46047 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [GNOME] - Collecting ideas
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2014, 06:23:06 pm »

Artificer and Thaumaturg only exist as buildings, nothing works on them.

Copy/Paste workshops: I have done something similar with the warlocks, but usually I add the new building to the reaction, and make a unique building for the race.

Instead of WOODCRAFTER its WOODCRAFTER_WARLOCK, and I add that to all the reactions in the woodcrafter. No need to copy reactions. The building design and size you can then do yourself, fitting to the civ. I found the 4 crafter shops too bright for warlocks, so I made darker, more evil versions.

Just let me know which buildings you want to use, I have to know that, thats super important. I often broke things in Orc mode, because I was altering dwarven reactions and buildings, and did not know that Orcs were using the same ones.

I would recommend: Stonecutter, Gemcutter, Woodcrafter, Bonecrafter, Kiln (KILN_MASTERWORK), ClayOven (KILN), Pottery, Crematory, Slag Pit, Brazier/Fireplace/Candelabra, Slaughterhouse. And the vanilla building reactions, Quern, Millstone, Kitchen, Tanner, Soapmaker, ScrewPress, Brewery, Smelter.

I think the Ore Processer and Sawmill could be more efficient for Gnomes, as they are better with machinery.

And I dont know if you noticed, but Warmist posted this:

Just something i was working on...
He is working on powered-workshops. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2014, 04:03:57 am »

Maybe you could let your gnomes fight inside a mech, with the mech as mount.
The gnomes would then be controlling the mech from inside it, instead of sitting in the dining hall while the mechs kick ass outside.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2014, 04:58:59 am »

That doesnt work. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2014, 06:58:11 am »

It's mainly those workshops, along with the toolmaker, gunsmith, and inventor.  I'm running out of good names for workshops... they'll need a workshop for making small tools and machine parts (the toolmaker is good for that) and for clockwork weapons/armor (the artificer, probably).  There are so many different automatons that I split them into two workshops, one for anything cat-sized or smaller (which mainly have special effects or abilities) and one for larger, combat-focused mechs.  I guess the small devices could be built on a work table while the bigger ones need floor space, like an auto shop... I don't have a good name for those workshops though.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:05 am »

You want to copy the inventor? The Inventors Workbench, that monster of a unnecessary thing? ^^

Toolmaker is fine, although nickel / spring-steel is quite high tech. Maybe gnomes can make stuff with easier reagents.

Artificer you can take, I dont use it anyway. :)

Names:
Clockwork Utility (Chop-)Shop => Smaller cat-sized stuff.
Clockwork Battle (Chop-)Shop => Larger war-beast stuff.

What I use a lot: Thesaurus Synonym Search. :) http://thesaurus.com/browse/machinery

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2014, 07:38:52 am »

Nice.

And useless or not, locking a gnome in a room and coming out with a random creation does suit their style of crazy inventors.  Maybe gnomes can have a more potentially useful (but still very silly) list of possible results, lots of stat altering itemsyndromes, etc.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2014, 02:49:05 pm »

The gnomes would then be controlling the mech from inside it, instead of sitting in the dining hall while the mechs kick ass outside.
An alternative to this idea: Have a workshop that takes a gnome and a mech suit and transform them into a creature with a metal body and a bodypart called "pilot" (that, if destroyed, causes instant death). It's possible with dfhack to have permanent transformations, so you can have another reaction that takes the active mech, transforms them into a gnome again and gives back the mech suit.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 04:01:25 pm »

An alternative to this idea: Have a workshop that takes a gnome and a mech suit and transform them into a creature with a metal body and a bodypart called "pilot" (that, if destroyed, causes instant death). It's possible with dfhack to have permanent transformations, so you can have another reaction that takes the active mech, transforms them into a gnome again and gives back the mech suit.

This is possible...but I don't like it.  Transformations heal all injuries, so throwing them around isn't really ideal.  Besides, the gnomish playing style isn't really going to be oriented toward direct combat.  We've already got powerful orcs, zerg-rushing kolbolds, and versatile dwarves; gnomes are going to be focused on staying out of harm's way and letting their traps, pets, and constructs do the fighting for them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2014, 11:15:24 am »

I thought maybe you can use this:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_PUMP]
[NAME:pump mechanism:pump mechanisms]
[SIZE:100]
[HITS:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[IS_SCREW]
[WOOD]
[METAL]
[ATTACK:EDGE:5:1:lightly hit:lightly hits:NO_SUB:5]

A replacement for the "enourmous corkscrew". I never liked that name anyway. It will work in pumps, thought your gnomes work often with them...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2014, 01:28:55 pm »

Is it possible to get itemsyndrome to work in the arena?

Or does it already work and I'm just doing it wrong?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 01:33:22 pm »

Is it possible to get itemsyndrome to work in the arena?

Or does it already work and I'm just doing it wrong?
I dont know. Ask Putnam ^^

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2014, 03:44:22 pm »

This is possible...but I don't like it.  Transformations heal all injuries, so throwing them around isn't really ideal.  Besides, the gnomish playing style isn't really going to be oriented toward direct combat.  We've already got powerful orcs, zerg-rushing kolbolds, and versatile dwarves; gnomes are going to be focused on staying out of harm's way and letting their traps, pets, and constructs do the fighting for them.

actually, would be pretty cool if Gnomes used this on criminal gnomes.

Also, what if they were vegetarian and didn't kill animals?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2014, 04:37:36 pm »

I haven't been keeping close enough tabs on this thread to know to what degree new ideas are being accepted or if this has already been considered, but has anyone mentioned aircraft? Aviator gnomes have basis in at least one fairly well-known fantasy universe (namely, RuneScape), and certainly fits in with their techy/survivalist thing. If this were the case, for realism's sake they would probably be made of aluminum. Perhaps gnomes could use the Hall-Heroult process to aid in metal production? That would probably involve bauxite, cryolite, graphite or something as reagents.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 02:31:47 am »

Pathfinding for flying civ-members is more than broken. The AI wouldnt know what to do with it.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 02:51:22 am »

Pathfinding for flying civ-members is more than broken. The AI wouldnt know what to do with it.

What about gnomes who are in 'balloons' as look outs?

You build it, then the gnome automatically rises say, 6 z-layers up, and holds position. Is that sort of thing possible? Or making a flying creature that does that?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24