Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Concerning the automatic factories...

Have few types but with many possible functions for each.  The simpler option
- 38 (42.2%)
Have many different types that each takes a particular input, for long assembly lines
- 29 (32.2%)
Have many types, allow using the wrong ones, but using them correctly lets the items have quality levels
- 23 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: [GNOME] - V0.78.2: Latest Patch: Couple of bugfixes  (Read 46045 times)

Blazebase

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: [GNOME] - V0.51: Industrial Revolution, Part 1
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2014, 07:09:13 am »

Heh. I remember used to play this game called LBP2 a good chunk when I was younger, used to toy around with the logic gates till I was able to just create infinite possibility with a single object.... Looks like old experiences will come to use in this. This is gonna be good.

Also on a side note, is it possible to overpower your machines and completely smash them by excess feeding power or is that something that is not implemented/being considered?
Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure.  ~Author Unknown

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2014, 02:39:42 pm »

Also on a side note, is it possible to overpower your machines and completely smash them by excess feeding power or is that something that is not implemented/being considered?

Not currently, but if you feed the wrong kinds of items into a machine then they can be damaged, and they will get damaged faster if they are running faster.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2014, 03:30:12 pm »

Oops, there was a mistake in the machina script that made it not work.
I've uploaded the fixed version, identical except for that one script.  If you happen to be one of the few people who downloaded this version and were already in the middle of a game, you can fix it by simply replacing the machina.lua file and then typing 'machina' into the dfhack console.
Also from now on, the machina script will not spam your message feed with information.  To turn debug mode on (for example, for bug reporting purposes), type 'machina d'.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2014, 03:50:23 pm »

The features look amazing. The only problem I can possibly see is that people will be alienated by the complexity of it. Good manuals, maybe with screenshots, and maybe a few good testers that show it in succession forts will help with that. Thats one thing I combat with the undeads as well, because they are so different from dwarves.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2014, 04:38:50 pm »

This looks to be amazing I will try asap.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2014, 05:42:55 pm »

The features look amazing. The only problem I can possibly see is that people will be alienated by the complexity of it. Good manuals, maybe with screenshots, and maybe a few good testers that show it in succession forts will help with that. Thats one thing I combat with the undeads as well, because they are so different from dwarves.

Yeah, this can certainly use a good manual.  The good news is that you can start out by playing mostly like (vanilla) dwarves (assuming you tend to use a defensive, trap-oriented style) and gradually ease your way into learning the gnome-exclusive options.

It's like the machinery in vanilla DF.  You can avoid it entirely, use it on a very basic level, or create computer systems that run a fortress automatically.  The gnome options expand on the options given by the vanilla machines, filling in some of the blank spots (direct machine-to-gate interface, automatic cart loading, item processing and sorting by type, automatic siege engines) but ultimately allowing the player to decide what they want to do with it.  Once it's finished, I'll be very excited to see what people decide to build.

The mindset behind a fort like Becordobar would fit right in here.

Nuttycompa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2014, 10:20:58 pm »

Just want to say that I really looking foward to see how much awesome this mod will become  :D
I really want to be a beta tester but real life stuff :-\.

Keep up your good work  :D

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2014, 10:38:44 pm »

What does/will the Deus Ex Machina do?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2014, 03:27:03 am »

What does/will the Deus Ex Machina do?

Currently nothing.  It's planned to be a device that lets you interface somehow with a specific part of a machine directly, once, for a significant cost.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2014, 05:07:47 am »

Deus Ex Machina sounds like something that could summon a uber-god creature that helps you, for a limited amount of time. "Gnome fortress saved by divine intervention, goblin siege defeated."

Or a machine that kills a gnome and from that point on automatically produces power. The ghost in the machine... :P
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2014, 07:17:04 am »

Deus Ex Machina sounds like something that could summon a uber-god creature that helps you, for a limited amount of time. "Gnome fortress saved by divine intervention, goblin siege defeated."

Or a machine that kills a gnome and from that point on automatically produces power. The ghost in the machine... :P

I've been considering haunted machines for a while now (I accidentally found during an early test that machines can suck up ghosts unless there is a specific line to prevent it).  It's a low priority but it may certainly go in at some point.  Operating without power is only one of the many possible effects :)

Deus ex machina is more of an incentive to create big machines by allowing the player to take control of the machine to a limited extent.  It could work, for instance, by creating a building that toggles all adjacent mechanisms immediately when the job is created, without a gnome needed to operate it, but then immediately selfdestructs.  So you could link it to your cave-in trap and then trigger it just as a forgotten beast walks under it... stuff like that.  It would have to be very costly to prevent its abuse.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2014, 07:35:28 am »

(I accidentally found during an early test that machines can suck up ghosts unless there is a specific line to prevent it)
Who you gonna call?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2014, 12:50:48 pm »

Note: do not turn on the power to machines until AFTER all gnomes are clear and it is constructed. I built a furniture machine, and immediately on finishing the construction, my miner got sucked in. Also I got this error:
Code: [Select]
Updating machina power...
Power allocated to (DFHACK_MACHINA_SEISMOGRAPH_GNOME): 403.5
Power allocated to (DFHACK_MACHINA_FACTORY_FURNITURE_GNOME): 403.5
...-dwarf-fortress\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/druidism.lua:1108: bad argument #
1 to 'sub' (string expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'sub'
        ...-dwarf-fortress\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/druidism.lua:1108: in fun
ction 'starts'
        ...k-dwarf-fortress\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/machina.lua:1784: in fun
ction 'setForbiddenStatus'
        ...k-dwarf-fortress\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/machina.lua:935: in func
tion 'ejectItem'
        ...k-dwarf-fortress\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/machina.lua:2217: in fun
ction 'factoryOperate'
        ...k-dwarf-fortress\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/machina.lua:680: in func
tion 'update'
        ...k-dwarf-fortress\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/machina.lua:689: in func
tion <...k-dwarf-fortress\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/machina.lua:689>
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2014, 01:26:59 pm »

LOL omg i have to say this mod is hilarious. The automachine worked, i was churning out tons of blocks until suddenly goblins ran into the machine and exploded. I was laughing to hard i forgot to pause so my gnomes all just ran into the machine after the goods of the goblins. This caused the laughing to increase and continue so my gnomes all happily lemminged into the machine. Best laugh of this game ever. Keep up the good work. Would it be possible to autocraft weapons? That would be helpful.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2014, 01:52:17 pm »

Would it be possible to autocraft weapons? That would be helpful.

It is possible, but right now I haven't figured out how to properly display item subtypes in the menu.

Also I've been having problems with clothing... I managed to produce some but it always comes out human-sized, so gnomes can't wear it.

I was making it so that the trader calling happened after a delay and I kind of got sidetracked into studying the abstract storage of future events.  Long story short, next version will have talking to birds.  And possibly time travel.  Can warpstone be used for time travel?  I have no idea.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24