Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Concerning the automatic factories...

Have few types but with many possible functions for each.  The simpler option
- 38 (42.2%)
Have many different types that each takes a particular input, for long assembly lines
- 29 (32.2%)
Have many types, allow using the wrong ones, but using them correctly lets the items have quality levels
- 23 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Author Topic: [GNOME] - V0.78.2: Latest Patch: Couple of bugfixes  (Read 46052 times)

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [GNOME] - V0.42: More Mechanized Madness
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2014, 11:50:37 pm »

I wonder if it would be possible to have magmalings release magma mid-flight, leaving a beautiful lava rainbow to descend on the enemy hordes.
This needs to happen. Soon.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: [GNOME] - V0.42: More Mechanized Madness
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2014, 02:26:04 am »

I fear that the benefits of the Nature Shrine will not overcome the temptation to unload a 200 KPM* automatic weapon into an invading goblin army.

I wonder if it would be possible to have magmalings release magma mid-flight, leaving a beautiful lava rainbow to descend on the enemy hordes.

That would probably require impeccable timing on the gnomes' part though

Gnomes can't use magmalings.  But between the drilling rig and old-fashioned DF physics, you should be able to make a ranged magma cannon easily enough.

I can't quite get the power to work on the Aerial Transport Device. How and where exactly do I have to connect it?

At the tiles that look like gears.  However, there is a bug in the last version when loading a saved game.  Try constructing a new building (any new building, the act of designating a building construction reloads the machine system).  It'll be fixed in the next update.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [GNOME] - V0.43: Shocking Current Developments
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2014, 06:22:38 pm »

Another update: Now with electrical technology.  And that means Tesla Coil traps at the top of the (rather long) tech tree.  But the Aerial Transport Device is still more fun, especially now that it can auto-fire items.

Build it so that the center lines up with a pit over it.
Set it to a low angle (5 works well) and high power (say, 150), and set it to launch items automatically.
Connect it to a power source that can be switched on and off.  Switch it off.
Designate a tile next to the pit as a garbage dump.
Dump whatever you want into the pit.  Rocks, logs, rotting corpses, whatever.
Aim towards an invading army.  Pull the trigger.

It can't be aimed and its range is lower than standard siege engines, which seem to defy the normal laws of physics, but it's a highly effective way of weaponizing anything.  Directing more power to the device causes it to fire faster.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [GNOME] - V0.5: Danger! Automatic Factory in Operation.
« Reply #228 on: February 18, 2014, 07:37:30 pm »

New update!  This one adds a new powered machine, the Autocrafter.  Materials go in one end, items come out the other.  But be careful... it will sometimes snag creatures and pull them in by 'accident', creating gristly furniture from their bones.  You may want to cut the power before loading it up.  Or, you can load it by designating a pit above the input tile.  Or set a track stop to load it from a minecart.
Or you could just weaponize it and make goblin bone chairs, encrusted with muscle and decorated with tooth.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #229 on: February 18, 2014, 07:52:40 pm »

That sounds delightful. Can I have one of these bodyshredder for the warlocks? It would fit right in. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 18, 2014, 08:25:59 pm »

New update!  This one adds a new powered machine, the Autocrafter.  Materials go in one end, items come out the other.  But be careful... it will sometimes snag creatures and pull them in by 'accident', creating gristly furniture from their bones.  You may want to cut the power before loading it up.  Or, you can load it by designating a pit above the input tile.  Or set a track stop to load it from a minecart.
Or you could just weaponize it and make goblin bone chairs, encrusted with muscle and decorated with tooth.

That sounds suspiciously like SCP-914. This mod sounds amazing, can't wait to try it out.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:28:09 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2014, 02:34:52 am »

That sounds delightful. Can I have one of these bodyshredder for the warlocks? It would fit right in. :)
can it be made to make more than furniture? It'd be a great late game device. A demonic engine that's used to turn enemies into books with flesh pages and be skin bound, or turn them into robes, or bone armor.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2014, 03:32:02 am »

Sure.  Unfortunately, a lot of the machines are very much tied together in the script, but if you simply copy the buildings from the gnomes it should work.  Or, if you have more specific requests, it would be simple enough to make a new building using the same basic functions.  Maybe a version that lets you put an empty bag on one end, any item on the other, and then the machine grinds the item to powder and outputs a filled bag...

That sounds suspiciously like SCP-914. This mod sounds amazing, can't wait to try it out.

You can already.  I'm in the habit of calling my projects 'beta' long after their due.  It's only a beta in the 'more features are planned' sense.  And feedback would be nice.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2014, 06:01:20 am »

I havent looked yet, but did you iron out the smaller issues, with dwarven buildings, odd items at embark and such? Are there profession sprites for the gnomes? Is the manual somewhat up to date (I know how much that can suck) to the current features?

These things are as important as new toys to play with, even if they dont sound like it.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 19, 2014, 06:19:18 am »

Yes to all of the above, unless I missed something.

There are also four embark profiles included.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2014, 06:20:49 am »

Perfect. :)

I will have a look and see if I can spot anything else, but I see no problem why I shouldnt start doing that bugfix release and add you 0.5 Gnomes into it (or 0.6, by the time I have finished)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2014, 02:20:39 pm »

Sure.  Unfortunately, a lot of the machines are very much tied together in the script, but if you simply copy the buildings from the gnomes it should work.  Or, if you have more specific requests, it would be simple enough to make a new building using the same basic functions.  Maybe a version that lets you put an empty bag on one end, any item on the other, and then the machine grinds the item to powder and outputs a filled bag...

You can already.  I'm in the habit of calling my projects 'beta' long after their due.  It's only a beta in the 'more features are planned' sense.  And feedback would be nice.

OK. I'll definitely be playing this then. Beta testing is always fun.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2014, 08:01:08 am »

I've been expanding the factory system.  One possibility I've come up with is making automatic systems for all the main Masterwork buildings.  Instead of cutting blocks at a mason or carpenter and then using them to produce furniture at the stonecrafter/woodcrafter, gnomes can have one kind of machine to cut each kind of material into blocks, and another to assemble any set of blocks into furniture.  You can also load raw materials into the assembler, but it's less efficient, can damage the machine, and will only produce items of base quality.

One thing I'm wondering is if I should remove the blocks-to-furniture buildings altogether - for gnomes, it's either vanilla workshop production or machinery.  It would certainly differentiate their playstyle from the other races.  There's also a technical issue: I've been using the actual item volume to determine material amounts (so that variable-sized items can also be used in the machines), and it turns out that blocks are tiny... blocks have a volume of 600, while most furniture has a volume of 3000.  Boulders have a volume of 10000.  So while current Masterwork can make 4 blocks from each boulder and then 1 piece of furniture from 2 blocks, it would make more sense volume-wise to make 16 blocks from each boulder and 1 piece of furniture from 5 blocks.  That amounts to about 3 pieces of furniture per boulder (assuming no matter is lost), which I think is reasonably balanced given the complexity (and dangers) of setting up and maintaining an efficient factory...but obviously you can't have the Masterwork workshops operating alongside that system, or you could make 8 pieces of furniture from a single boulder.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2014, 08:12:49 am »

One thing I'm wondering is if I should remove the blocks-to-furniture buildings altogether - for gnomes, it's either vanilla workshop production or machinery.
+1

I am all for it. They make more blocks, but use more blocks for their machinery produced items. More blocks also means its easier to make eloberate walls/floors/fortifications for trap mazes and the like, which fits the theme.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2014, 05:07:01 pm »

I am going through the files atm, fixing a bit in the manual. When I made the pics for the buildings, I noticed that the thunder coil, the electrolytic cell and the electrostatic generator use the same design. I guess thats not intended?

Same for the bio-augmentation unit and the conversion chamber, exactly the same graphics.

Why are the vetinerian, the autocrafter input/output and the excavation site just 1 tile workshops? Its makes them hard to find, especially the excavation site, which looks like a grate; and the crafter input, looks like a cage. Is that on purpose?

A lot of workshops are 3x3 with the 4 corner tiles being the gear/web/raw-gem tile. This leaves only 5 tiles to give them their own look. Is that because of limitations of the script that draws power, or could these buildings be made larger ?

Here is the file with the changes: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8437
It adds the fitting building pictures to the buildings.html, and adds the png files to icon/buildings. :) 

Edit: DragonDePlatino is a professional sprite graphic designer. He makes his own tileset and sprites atm, and asked if I have anything missing for MDF. Not really atm, but I guess he can help do the gnome professions and nobles, and your pets. :)

Overall, really nice progress.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:14:01 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24