Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Concerning the automatic factories...

Have few types but with many possible functions for each.  The simpler option
- 38 (42.2%)
Have many different types that each takes a particular input, for long assembly lines
- 29 (32.2%)
Have many types, allow using the wrong ones, but using them correctly lets the items have quality levels
- 23 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24

Author Topic: [GNOME] - V0.78.2: Latest Patch: Couple of bugfixes  (Read 46082 times)

Koggenmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [GNOME] - Beta Release
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2014, 01:19:45 pm »

How about some early ranged weapons?
Because it might be good to make simple gunpowder weapons (which can be very deadly too!) instead of
air blaster and lightning guns if you only have rocks and trees available

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2014, 01:26:31 pm »

I just found out that "createitem" can be called with syndrometrigger. This means you can create items with interactions, and since interactions can be linked to castes and creatures... you can have specific workshops that only work with special castes.

Gnome Druid can summon wood from the nature altar for example.  :)

Code: [Select]
[SYN_CLASS:\COMMAND][SYN_CLASS:createitem][SYN_CLASS:WOOD][SYN_CLASS:ALDER][SYN_CLASS:1][\WORKER_ID][CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:101:START:0:END:10]
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2014, 02:34:50 pm »

Could you use that to make creatures that 'birthed' items? Like laying eggs basically?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2014, 02:36:17 pm »

Apparently not. It doesnt work quite right. I dont know yet why.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2014, 02:43:07 pm »

Dang. Could have had organic units producing raw materials for weird and vile weaponry.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2014, 07:26:19 pm »

I think as long as you only have rocks and wood, the only weapons available should be crossbows.  Spring-powered pistols could probably work with only a little metal.  I've also figured out how make a gun that makes its victims explode :P  Well technically it's just slamming them into the ground really, really hard.

Right now I'm working on a system to make the gnome/animal relationship a lot more in-depth.  I don't want to make them vegetarian because then they won't eat fish either, but they're supposed to see their pets as friends, not as livestock.  The druidic system now runs on invisible 'merit points', which are based on your settlement's history, especially the history of its pets.  Letting pets die or keeping them locked up in cages will be a mark against you, training them and keeping them healthy will work in your favor.  Training and releasing animals will also count in your favor.  Killing natural wildlife (which gnomes are at peace with) will count against you a little bit.  Killing hostile monsters or an invader's pets is fine.  More merit will make it easier to call strong animals from the wild (the difficulty will be based on petvalue, which is already used in determining how difficult an animal is to train), allow you to call them from a greater distance, and may even allow you to recruit creatures that cannot normally be tamed.  Treating your animals recklessly will force you to catch them and train them with cages like the other races.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2014, 08:39:16 am »

Ah, thats why you needed to know the deathcause. :)

Roses wrote a little script to create items from interactions. The createitem did not work, but his one does. It a simple script, and it allows those caste specific reactions I mentioned.

The animal system looks amazing. Is there any player feedback, any way for them to know how much merit with wild animals they have?

I've also figured out how make a gun that makes its victims explode :P  Well technically it's just slamming them into the ground really, really hard.
Urist DaVincis "killitwith gravity" ?  :D

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2014, 10:42:31 am »

Ah, thats why you needed to know the deathcause. :)

Roses wrote a little script to create items from interactions. The createitem did not work, but his one does. It a simple script, and it allows those caste specific reactions I mentioned.

The animal system looks amazing. Is there any player feedback, any way for them to know how much merit with wild animals they have?

I've also figured out how make a gun that makes its victims explode :P  Well technically it's just slamming them into the ground really, really hard.
Urist DaVincis "killitwith gravity" ?  :D

I'll make a reaction that will let you know your status.
I'm having some problems with cleanup though... not sure if creatures that have wandered off the map are deleted from memory.  If they are, it could be problematic... since the only way of gaining merit is to either keep animals with you or release them into the wild, and merit is calculated by reading all creature's history.  Dead creatures remain on the list, but if the only way to counter that is to actually hold the animals on-site (and not stuffed in cages), framerate will become a problem sooner or later.

I was trying to make a weapon that simulates the 'slam into an obstacle and blow apart' effect.  The closest I could get was a modified version of the cyclone script that accelerated creatures straight into the ground at high speeds.  Guaranteed to turn any siege into a load of giblets.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2014, 03:32:01 pm »

Just writing to show my support of this mod. Anything that adds more industry, steam punk or dwarfy gnomy things is grand. I only started playing with the mod but everything suggested/implemented is reeeeeally cool. Keep up the great work

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2014, 07:32:14 pm »

Excellent.  Specific data on released creatures isn't saved, but adding a value to a single abstract variable whenever a creature is released is possible.  In fact, it looks like an unlimited number of abstract variables can be stored in the game's save file itself, which opens up a whole load of possibilities.  It is especially suitable for religion-based systems, where certain actions please or displease the god in question, and you can be rewarded or punished for your behavior.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2014, 07:49:50 pm »

Are we talking merit points for praying in useless praying reactions, that might cause scripts or interactions to trigger? And not having these, to trigger bad ones?

Because that would be totally rad.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2014, 02:34:24 am »

Are we talking merit points for praying in useless praying reactions, that might cause scripts or interactions to trigger? And not having these, to trigger bad ones?

Because that would be totally rad.

That's certainly an option.  The question is, how can it be modded from the raws?
I guess I could write a basic default script for 'run this reaction to improve/decrease merit with a god of a given name, increase chance of product based on merit' kind of deal.  Maybe rate of decrease can also be added in...
I was more intrigued by the idea of creating more interesting influences.  A war god might be pleased by a large number of invader deaths, a filth god might like it if you leave your fort covered in contaminants... but the ability to make that rawable is obviously limited.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2014, 09:25:50 am »

I wouldnt sidetrack on that too much. It sounds like a big project in itself.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2014, 11:27:49 am »

How about gnomes that operate the contructs?

Gnomes runs to workshop, does "Operate clockwork Dragon". Gnome turns immobile and stays in Workshop, but you can spawn a clockwork dragon, which you can control, either in squads (which is difficult to do, but possible by using very rare castes) or by pastures/wartraining. The gnome stays in the workshop the entire time. If he leaves (lets say by a second worker that runs a reaction that affects him) the clockwork dragon becomes immobile/deactivated. If the dragon dies, the gnomes can move again.

So you build a construct, but sacrifice the time of the worker to have it actually do something.

arcturusthelesser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2014, 08:06:38 pm »

How about gnomes that operate the contructs?

Gnomes runs to workshop, does "Operate clockwork Dragon". Gnome turns immobile and stays in Workshop, but you can spawn a clockwork dragon, which you can control, either in squads (which is difficult to do, but possible by using very rare castes) or by pastures/wartraining. The gnome stays in the workshop the entire time. If he leaves (lets say by a second worker that runs a reaction that affects him) the clockwork dragon becomes immobile/deactivated. If the dragon dies, the gnomes can move again.

So you build a construct, but sacrifice the time of the worker to have it actually do something.
If the worker is going to be busy as long as the mecha is in operation, you should be able to control it with the same (or as close as reasonably possible) amount of precision as if the mecha was a squad member. After all, unless I'm misunderstanding you, the gnome is piloting the construct, right? If you had to sacrifice a unit AND the mecha only fights if a hostile just so happens to come across it, then it wouldn't be worth the resources.

Would pilotgnomes have to take a break for food and sleep, and if so, would it be possible to have another gnome 'step in' without having to query a new order? Otherwise it'd be next to impossible to get them running consistently.
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24