Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Rust - Rock Fight Simulator  (Read 16578 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Rust - Rock Fight Simulator
« on: December 23, 2013, 01:03:30 pm »

I haven't seen much mention of Rust on the boards, despite it being a contender for DayZ's sluggish attempts at getting to standalone status. The creator has expressed his desire to move away from zombies as enemies, and they appear to be a placeholder of sorts, hopefully for something a bit more dangerous.

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/252490/

From the Steam page:

The only aim in Rust is to survive.

To do this you will need to overcome struggles such as hunger, thirst and cold. Build a fire. Build a shelter. Kill animals for meat. Protect yourself from other players. Create alliances with other players and together form a town.

Whatever it takes to survive.

From the creator of Garry's Mod is a rather interesting DayZ spinoff. Though to call it a DayZ spinoff would be hurtful, considering DayZ's current state of release. This is a survival simulator, that just happens to have zombie-like organisms that spawn in areas of radiation, but they're not the most terrifying of the local wildlife. You'll have to confront bears, wolves, and worse, other players as you try to eke out a living and make a shelter to protect you against these threats.

Currently in a fairly early alpha, Rust has a lot going for it. You spawn in with a rock, some bandages and a torch, and previously no pants at all. With this herring, you must harvest wood from trees, find rocks to mine in order to get stones, and build your way up the (fairly short) tech tree, while hunting zombies for research kits and blueprints in order to be able to craft new things. These things include things from a 9mm pistol, to explosive charges in order to bring down an enemies' (or some unsuspecting ponces') walls and doors during a raid.

Depending on the server, you may get some benefits, such as instant crafting, and some detriments, such as sleepers, meaning that much like HellMOO/HATEMOO, once you log out you leave a body behind with all of your equipped gear, passed out and defenseless, waiting for someone to come along and pick you off. Defaults include sleepers, so be very cautious on the official servers. Since the game's release into Steam, there are now literally hundreds of other servers to choose from, and it appears to be fairly easy to make your own as well.

As for the bad? As with any game of this nature in this day and age, hackers sometimes pop up, teleporting to you inside your home and killing you, whilst being invulnerable to any attempts to fight back. Valve Anti Cheat appears to be present on any server you join, per the loading screen, but I somehow doubt it. There isn't much to do once you get to the top of the small tech tree, other than make your fortress more impenetrable and raid people with less stuff than you. Random spawns are truly random; there's no telling if that field you ran through minutes earlier will later spawn a bear, wolf, zombie, rock, pig or wood pile. And of course, the sense of danger is paranoia inducing when you encounter players, as even on No PVP servers your sleeping, helpless body is prone to someone breaking in to attack and kill you anyway.

The game has a very long way to go before it reaches completion, but I'm fairly impressed by what I see so far. Haven't had any crashes, which I hear plagues DayZ like, well, a horde of zombies. There are plans for even larger maps, with the next one twice the size of the currently ~16km by 16km map.

Lastly, screenshots:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:15:38 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Rust - Rock Fight Simulator
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 01:11:37 pm »

You can't hotlink screenies from steam.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 01:34:48 pm »

Edited with Imgur links, noticed right after I posted. Thanks.

Edit: As a note, those screenshots are taken at Good or Beautiful settings. Despite my rig's beefiness, Fantastic seems to lag due to lack of optimization, but they're getting there.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:36:48 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 02:35:52 am »

*Browsed over the words, then opens the spoilers*

That's... That's a naked guy.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 04:53:33 am »

Right now they've got pants superglued to everyone's crotch, that was a week or two ago. To stem the tide of naked men flooding Steam, the creator was forced to implement first a censor bar, then pants as a temporary stopgap, as the censor bar occasionally had issues with being able to be seen through player built walls.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 06:18:55 am »

I really hope this takes off, and gets where it aims to be...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:55:09 pm »

It's fantastic and what all of the other games aspire to be so far. The ability to have PVE only servers and lots of easy mods servers makes it so that griefers and hackers don't ruin the game. I'm on a server with fantastic group efforts and it's great for new players to learn the ropes. If you buy it and are interested, hop on to server 173 PVE Friendly
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:04:53 pm »

>Naked guy
>"It looks like there is more room"

;_;

In terms of the actual game, I coincidentally bought it earlier today after recommendation by some friends. Haven't got around to installing it, so I contented myself listening to them bickering over whether or not to shoot strangers.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 05:57:58 pm »

Welp, bought it. If I regret it I'll blame you, hemmingjay! :P

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 05:26:27 am »

hop on to server 173 PVE Friendly
There are over 4000 servers running... How am I ever going to find that one? Oh wait, sort by name. It's [173]PVE Friendly.

Aureolin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 12:46:05 am »

Anyone wanna trade me a copy of Rust for... Torchlight 2, Strike Suit Zero, or Nazi Zombie Army 2? Also got a ESO Beta key I'd be willing to surrender.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:44:08 am by Aureolin »

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 12:55:33 am »

Darn, I wish I had some more cash in my steam wallet. I have some money I could put in, but I'm saving it up for when I head off to college in case I need it.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the development of this game and watching some LP's, it seems like an amazing project. I hope it goes someplace good.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 09:01:27 am »

OP had me right up until the mention of sleepers. That, to me, is a horribly manipulative tactic. If I can't play many hours a day, I should be punished, right? I guess it's just not a game for me.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 09:42:41 am »

OP had me right up until the mention of sleepers. That, to me, is a horribly manipulative tactic. If I can't play many hours a day, I should be punished, right? I guess it's just not a game for me.
Not all servers have it.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 10:02:30 am »

I realize that. Still a turn-off for me, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5