Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Rust - Rock Fight Simulator  (Read 16568 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rust - Rock Fight Simulator
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2016, 08:02:17 am »

I found it to be a bit unplayable if you don't have a lot of spare time to invest or some friends who got it, at least at vanilla values. There is always someone who gets in 30 hours in 2 days just so they can screw you over ; ).

Great mechanics however...

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2016, 09:40:26 am »

I found it to be a bit unplayable if you don't have a lot of spare time to invest or some friends who got it, at least at vanilla values. There is always someone who gets in 30 hours in 2 days just so they can screw you over ; ).

Great mechanics however...
I disagree. It's like playing CS but you have to walking-sim your way forth to get guns. Though each to their own!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2016, 09:52:59 am »

You don't really get guns at low level (Varys by server). It's not unplayable, as my own 30-ish hours show, but in those hours I never saw a melee-vs-melee fight and maybe 2 fights that didn't consist of a guy with a gun shoting a guy without one.

If I would like silly cs, I'd play trouble in terrorist town or any number of variations on that theme.

My issue soly lays in that on a vanilla server, with players, you need to invest a lot of time (and yes, certainly some great players lvl and grind twice as fast as others, but as you said, walking sim) - and you need to invest even more time to protect your assets.

Also I wish CS had the hitboxes of this, as the armor actually matters and offers intresting gun-play.

*edit* Also cheating is a thing, most likly because of the frustation the game causes - white list servers are a near requierment.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 10:55:07 am by ThtblovesDF »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2016, 11:33:47 am »

I have the game since it came in a bundle, but I'm also wary of time investment at this point :/ A bit too daunting to do all of this without friends or a community I know will be there and dedicated.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2016, 01:47:40 pm »

The gameplay is changing a bit with the next update.  You no longer grind exp because they're taking it out.  Instead, everything will be producible from the start, but everything is built out of components, and you have to find the components.  Many basic things will still be raw resource based, but a lot will be built of scrap you find.  So there's a bit more emphasis on going outwards and salvaging rather than staying inwards and grinding.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2016, 02:00:40 pm »

As a predominantly solo player, I'm really not a fan of the component system.

Yes, theoretically it lowers the baseline for entry into endgame content to a very low level. Yes, it removes the near-wipe apathy. Yes, the BP system and XP system made it much easier to crawl up to good gear if you were in a group.

But the most important aspect of both the BP system and XP system for a solo player was the sense of permanent progress. Maybe you go out and get killed. Maybe you get offlined by a bunch of twelvies. Maybe some zerg clan levels your base for shits and giggles. You've still got your BP or XP-derived knowledge. Next time, it'll be faster and easier to build up.

With the component system, it may be easier across the board to get gear, but it also makes losing a base or loot much more crippling for solo players, since they have to repeat the component grind every single time. Imagine the hell that was being a solo player trying to get BPs on a populated server. Now imagine that Day 1-2 bullshit being the norm for everyone forever. Going to see a hell of a lot more large groups camping radtowns with big sniping bases, for one.

Honestly the looting is one place where the various DayZ iterations did really well; you could find decent to good loot almost anywhere that had buildings, and there were enough locations on a sufficiently large map (as well as little provision in-game for groups) that there would always be some you could get to semi-safely. There was a variant I played based on ArmA III, don't remember the name, that added in the ability to craft storage crates. Anyone who found them could loot them and destroy them (along with their contents). It was fucking great, you'd get your baseline gear, build a box in a hidden location, then start squirreling away loot while also keeping an eye out for other peoples' stashes.

Rust needs more behavior and interactions like that. Hiding building-block notices when you don't have a plan out is a step in the right direction for balancing solo play with group play, but it's not near enough. If there was a way to actually effectively hide loot beyond the rock glitch I'd be a fan of the component system, but as is you're going to lose everything pretty much every night unless you're on a half-dead server.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2016, 02:08:37 pm »

Have you seen the Small Stash?  It's a cloth bag, when placed on terrain you can bury it, literally, it moves under the ground.  If you stand on that spot for a second it'll rise back out of the ground and can be accessed, but you have to manually hide it again.  It has like 1x6 inventory slots, but you can make plenty of them.  You could easily hide these things around and nearby your base, especially hidden in bushes as they're so small that even when exposed, people probably won't see them.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2016, 04:48:39 pm »

Most servers I've played on give stashes a limited lifespan to help improve performance (much like deleting dead bases).

Not to mention that stashes are far more trouble than they're worth. Not enough slots to even store a set of gear, incredibly easy to spot if you use them in/around your base (and the server isn't full of morons or total newbs who don't know to search the usual spots), and liable to get you killed on any decently populated server. They're great for hiding materials and tools when you're first getting a base up, and I was the first person I know of to use stashes to hide keys (rather than carrying them) while working towards that first code lock.

Past that, though, at most I might use them for stashing explosives if I'm offlining someone solo and don't want to get caught out with everything.

Basically the stash is and always has been a very niche tool. It's damned good for a few things, but you can't use it exclusively -- even just stashing building supplies early takes 3-4 at least. It's a mountain of extra effort that doesn't actually do much of anything to improve your condition.

//

In other words, same deal as with all other aspects of playing solo. The only way to avoid being raided on vanilla is to make a shitty little dump that looks like it was built by an idiot, wait for it to get raided, repair just enough to keep nakeds out while still looking dead, and then be careful to only use fires/furnaces at night and not make noise moving around. If you're playing on a server with modded resources the other option is to make a base that is absolutely fucking evil and a total pain the ass to raid, then hide all your loot in a false-floor shack on the far side of the island. Rinse and repeat that through 4-5 wipes, make sure to always tag your bases with your name, and eventually people will stop bothering.

There's a reason I never played solo on vanilla. At least on modded if you're a good shot you can gather enough gear to fight off zergs.

3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2016, 06:37:42 pm »

I have the game since it came in a bundle, but I'm also wary of time investment at this point :/ A bit too daunting to do all of this without friends or a community I know will be there and dedicated.

I'm basically in the same boat here. It looks fun, but I don't want to jump into a potential social shitfest without seeing how deep the brown water is first. My largest knowledge of Rust gameplay comes from SovietWomble's videos, and some of the stuff they do there might be a major turn off to be on the receiving end of.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2016, 06:43:41 pm »

I can save that Soviet Womble's videos are approximately accurate, with both good and bad, and much like SW it matters how much you can laugh at.  The game rapidly generates salt if you don't go in with the right attitude.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2016, 07:02:53 pm »

Yeah, if you get salty at games at all you probably shouldn't play Rust. On the other hand, if you can take it and enjoy winding other people up, there are few communities with more easily-triggered meltdowns. Usually all it takes is wiping a zerg or completely blunting a raid plus a little teasing in chat and folks will go completely incoherent with rage.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]