Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like more of or to see improved?

Combat.
- 2 (20%)
Roleplay.
- 2 (20%)
Details.
- 1 (10%)
Plot/Intrigue
- 4 (40%)
Other.
- 1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: June 07, 2014, 10:09:51 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 71

Author Topic: "The Filth of Kalgena" OOC thread. The GM has his shit together. Somewhat.  (Read 54460 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5 PBP urban campaign interest check
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 05:01:38 am »

I'm continuing to flesh out the world, but have got the basics written. I'll see if I can throw them up later.

BTW, the mountain's name is Mount Kalgena, and the city is Kalgena. Because I'm tired and it made sense.
Well of course! If you're building a city on a mountain, you name the city after the mountain!
Also throwing the world lore out there would definitely help with fleshing out my backstory. I've got the basic backbone down, I just need more fleshy bits.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 06:22:22 am »

I'd like to know what books we are and aren't allowed to use. Can you explain what you're doing with Level Adjustment (incase I go with a tiefling), since that isn't particularly clear to me...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 07:51:55 am »

If rocks fall and everyone dies, could I use my strength to catch the rocks?

EDIT: I found the Planetwisted Template. Things just got a lot more ridiculous.

EDITEDIT:
•   If you have at least 4 BAB, you can Precise Shot with any ranged weapon you are proficient in and are treated as if you have the Point Blank Shot feat without actually taking it. Also see feat section.
Is broken?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:01:02 am by Remuthra »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 11:53:41 am »

So it turns out that world build is not easy and takes more than a few hours to decide whether or not to have a lake.
Only one? How big is this map? England? Europe? Eurasia? What?
Well, it's the city and the mountain. So not very big. But having a lake was a concern because I wasn't sure how to simulate the effect of a massive mining operation on the lake. So I am going to go with just a river, no lake.
Depends on the type of mining.

EDITEDIT:
•   If you have at least 4 BAB, you can Precise Shot with any ranged weapon you are proficient in and are treated as if you have the Point Blank Shot feat without actually taking it. Also see feat section.
Is broken?
Ranged weapons are pretty underpowered compared to melee weapons in core. And, of course, both pale in comparison to casters.

We have a wizard, a bard, and a monk. Probably a rogue, too. We have the skillmonkey, the mage, a support guy, and whatever the monk is supposed to be.
I'll take a druid.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 12:12:20 pm »

EDITEDIT:
Is broken?
Ranged weapons are pretty underpowered compared to melee weapons in core. And, of course, both pale in comparison to casters.

We have a wizard, a bard, and a monk. Probably a rogue, too. We have the skillmonkey, the mage, a support guy, and whatever the monk is supposed to be.
I'll take a druid.
Look again.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 12:51:18 pm »

Your point? Oh noes, a +1 bonus to attack rolls if you're really close!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 12:56:34 pm »

Why do you get the Point Blank Shot feat by using Precise Shot?

Especially since the rules also give you Point Blank Shot for free three levels earlier?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:00:50 pm by Remuthra »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 01:07:18 pm »

I'd like to know what books we are and aren't allowed to use. Can you explain what you're doing with Level Adjustment (incase I go with a tiefling), since that isn't particularly clear to me...
1. I don't believe in limiting character options, so any book is okay, even 3.0
2. Tiers are a, AFAIK, fan-made system for determining the power of certain classes. This list is the one that I prefer, because it's got explanations on why they are where they are. So if you were a tiefling, you could take one level of Fighter, Monk, CA Ninja, Healer, Swashbuckler, Rokugan Ninja, Soulknife, Expert, Paladin, Knight, CW Samurai, Aristocrat, Warrior, Commoner, or Divine Mind (before Mind's Eye updates), and then two levels of something else.

If rocks fall and everyone dies, could I use my strength to catch the rocks?
EDITEDIT:
Is broken?
1. That would be a Reflex save. Or Snatch Arrows.
2. I stole it from the rules you're using for Birth of Oblivion. So go fix your rules if you don't like it.
So it turns out that world build is not easy and takes more than a few hours to decide whether or not to have a lake.
Only one? How big is this map? England? Europe? Eurasia? What?
Well, it's the city and the mountain. So not very big. But having a lake was a concern because I wasn't sure how to simulate the effect of a massive mining operation on the lake. So I am going to go with just a river, no lake.
Depends on the type of mining.
True. The specifics of that are still being worked on. I may have to consult a geology reference of some sort.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 06:08:21 pm »

Character stats and stuff are all done. Backstory is coming via PM later. I'd rather have descriptions and backstory and whatnot to come to the others naturally throught the campaign instead of everyone immediately knowing from the start, but that's just me.

Alaris Valentis, Half-Elf Bard

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2013, 06:15:28 pm »

Character stats and stuff are all done. Backstory is coming via PM later. I'd rather have descriptions and backstory and whatnot to come to the others naturally throught the campaign instead of everyone immediately knowing from the start, but that's just me.

You know, that's a good idea. I think I'll do that with my backstory, although I doubt anything on my description requires more than a casual glance.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »

You know, that's a good idea. I think I'll do that with my backstory, although I doubt anything on my description requires more than a casual glance.
I'll just upload most of the basic information now, and fill it in as we go.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5 PBP urban campaign interest check. "The Filth of Kalgena"
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2013, 03:44:02 pm »

Is it too late to join?

EDIT: I'd like to play as a Crusader, Warmage, Warlock, or Scout, I think. Anyone have a suggestion or desire as to which?

Would it be possible to voluntarily start with a lowered Sanity score, in exchange for something else (or not in exchange; a bonus feat(Force of Personality, to be specific) is all I was thinking of)?

SECONDEDIT: Ah yes, and can we lower scores below 8 for more points?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:55:51 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »

Is it too late to join?

EDIT: I'd like to play as a Crusader, Warmage, Warlock, or Scout, I think. Anyone have a suggestion or desire as to which?

Would it be possible to voluntarily start with a lowered Sanity score, in exchange for something else (or not in exchange; a bonus feat(Force of Personality, to be specific) is all I was thinking of)?

I say stealth-trained Scout, personally.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2013, 04:48:12 pm »

Is it too late to join?

1. Not at all.
2. Yes. Lets call it a Flaw called `Mentally Unstable'. I'll update the insanity section.
3. Yep.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2013, 05:02:10 pm »

Hmmm. Well, rechecking, Paladin seems rather attractive as well, whilst Warmage is less so.

And of course, Ranger is probably going to end up being a better class than Scout...I suppose I could do a Swift Hunter, but it's just not the same. :(

Osoero the Insane Warlock, meanwhile, is quite viable, and I still wonder what the other ToB classes would be like.

What type of Wizard and Cleric are we going to have?

EDIT: Could I request the range increments of some weapons(thrown ones in particular) be increased? Or possibly based on strength score?
And could anyone with +4 BAB have Quick Draw effectively as a Bonus Feat?

Question about Crusader; Could there be stance retraining? As it is now, a single-classed Crusader cannot get their highest level stances, because they don't gain any stances after they become available. This is dumb.

Can we present Prestige Classes? I don't expect them to be taken as is, certainly, and indeed I personally would welcome input on it/them, but it'd be nice, especially as Prestige classes are kinda the thing that's meant to be how you make your abstract stats and such represent the badass locked in your head.

Finally, could I request a change to tower shields and/or a one-handed reach weapon(probably exotic)?

MOAREDIT: Actually, with how you can train to be proficient in exotic weapons, does Exotic Weapon Proficiency need a feat? I think it would make more sense if you could be proficient in whatever (maybe a limit of one weapon) provided you had a sufficiently sensible backstory. Also, the weapon couldn't be too ridiculous. Knowing how to use a repeating crossbow might be something you'd learn in a very well-equipped mercenary band or the like, and if you were raised by dwarves, you might know how to use the dwarven waraxe, but since the spiked chain is a ridiculous weapon in and of itself, you're unlikely to know how to use it without hurting yourself without some serious training. Similarly, unless you were a slave master, how would you know how to use a whip in combat?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 05:48:21 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 71