Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330643 times)

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2640 on: July 29, 2023, 07:34:02 pm »

What other games would you recommend that are similar (obviously, the games I've already mentioned I've already played, and I know Soldak seems to have this kind of gameplay as part of their identity, as Depths of Peril seems to have a similar-ish premise to Drox Operative 2).
Crusader Kings 2 and 3 (especially playing as a vassal) fit the bill. Tale of Immortal (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1468810/_Tale_of_Immortal/) has a "living world" kind of thing going on and the player is not particularly special.
I hear the X series of games are like this, too -- though I couldn't really get into them myself.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: July 29, 2023, 11:16:53 pm »

Tried out the demo for Drox Operative 2 a few days ago. I liked its premise of the player being one part of a larger galaxy, trying to swing things in the favor of, well, the Drox Operative Guild. While the player can become quite powerful, they are still but one entity in a system that has a lot of moving parts.

I've also enjoyed games like Battle Brothers, Mount and Blade Warband, and Starsector for being similar - carrying that theme of being a small part of a larger system.

What other games would you recommend that are similar (obviously, the games I've already mentioned I've already played, and I know Soldak seems to have this kind of gameplay as part of their identity, as Depths of Peril seems to have a similar-ish premise to Drox Operative 2).
There was that... what was it called? <30 minutes of frustrated googling later> Space Rangers. It's kinda superficially similar to Drox Operative - you also fly a ship, top-down, and there's a 'galaxy' that does its thing in the background. I kinda loved it back when it came out. Not sure it holds up still.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: July 29, 2023, 11:52:14 pm »

Tried out the demo for Drox Operative 2 a few days ago. I liked its premise of the player being one part of a larger galaxy, trying to swing things in the favor of, well, the Drox Operative Guild. While the player can become quite powerful, they are still but one entity in a system that has a lot of moving parts.

I've also enjoyed games like Battle Brothers, Mount and Blade Warband, and Starsector for being similar - carrying that theme of being a small part of a larger system.

Kenshin has that as it's theme.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: July 30, 2023, 08:22:09 am »

I second Kenshi, and also I negative-third tale of immortal. I don't know if they updated it since I last played it (which was a while ago), but it became really repetitive and grindy once you realize what's happening. Every area has the same mechanics and you basically do the same thing over and over again.

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: August 16, 2023, 01:03:26 pm »

What I'm looking for:
Procedural Multiplayer 3D first person/third person with online co-op player-hosted dedicated server(s).
Life-Sim plus Combat as far as features go, with things like building, crafting, farming, etc.
Portal Knights is perfect, but it doesn't permit more than 4 players, and our play group needs 8-10.
Essentially I'm looking for a first/third person 3D version of Stardew Valley, if such a thing exists.  We would play/mod the hell out of that.

What I've found so far: Garden Paws. While it technically matches, its target audience is a bit younger than us. :)
We are currently playing Portal Knights, as it also matches, but doesn't have the same depth of building/crafting/life-sim as SDV or Garden Paws, and the server limit of 4 is killing us.
Garden Paws will be our next if this community is unaware of something better.  But we are hoping for alternatives.
Dinkum was as very close match, but the multiplayer isn't quite right, in that the host is really the only true player, the rest are just temporary/transient guests.

I'm just asking here to ensure we haven't missed anything that might fit the requirements.
We've tried and/or played (in the past) SDV, Necesse, Wayward, Rust, Ark, Atlas, Pixark, Solace Crafting, Valheim, Frozen Flame, Raft, Wurm Unlimited, Veloren, Vintage Story, Dinkum, and more.
Generally most of them fall down either with technical bugs, crashing servers, not actual SDV-like-multiplayer, not 3D, or shallow crafting, building, life-sim and little/no story/plot.
We are not looking for a pure sandbox like unmodded Minecraft, but something more with an overarching story.  Ideally more than just "kill this next boss", although if that's all there is, ok.
PvP isn't part of this equation, we're looking for a PvE/Co-Op setting.
As far as content goes, we would prefer no zombies, horror, darkness-as-fun, vampires, or similar themes (been there, done that), but if that's the only option, ok.
I've heard good things about Deep Rock Galactic and Minecraft Legends, but.. haven't tried them, so if anyone has, and feel they should be recommended as a match, please provide that feedback.
Voxels are ok (obviously, portal knights) but are not required.

The ideal features are: 
Server-authoritative dedicated persistent reliable non-crashing server, ideally run/hosted under Linux or Wine.  Multiplayer of 8-10.
Procedural generation of everything like maps, islands, non-home areas.
Life sim features of farming, crafting, building, domestication, pets, taming, fishing, events, non-combat progression paths.
Combat/Exploration/Resource acquisition with procedural maps, dungeons, missions, content.
Quests, Tasks or Missions intended for teams to accomplish.  Tiers/Bosses are fine, too.
Quest related tasks anyone can do (Portal Knights) or tracked individually (SDV).
3D first/third person.

You guys might like the trailmakers campaign

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: August 16, 2023, 02:21:33 pm »

What are people's opinions in Baldur's Gate 3? I'm strongly considering picking it up.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: August 16, 2023, 04:45:39 pm »

I'm enjoying it so far, but still haven't gotten out of Act 1, so haven't experienced most of the game yet.

Been playing coop with a buddy as a bard (he's a monk), and then solo as a ranger.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: August 16, 2023, 05:06:55 pm »

Bauldur's Gate 3 heavily reminds me of Divinity Original Sin, and it seems like it was the same developers. But I haven't actually played it so take my word with a bit of salt.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: August 16, 2023, 05:09:57 pm »

From what I've seen of chatter regarding it, sentiment seems to be extremely good. Not personally interested in playing it, mostly because the spelljammer tease is too disappointing, but general reception seems to be putting it as one of the best CRPGs to date.

That said, sentiment also seems to be noting it's substantially like Divinity: Original Sin with a coat of 5e D&D paint, so if you've played DOS you've probably got a decent idea of whether or not you'll like it. A ninja'd a bit, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: August 16, 2023, 05:13:27 pm »

And yes Larian Studios did both Baldur's Gate 3 and the Divinity games.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: August 18, 2023, 04:59:32 am »

Can anyone recommend me super good mobile games for android?

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: August 18, 2023, 05:11:15 am »

Can anyone recommend me super good mobile games for android?
"Sorcery!". Not super good, but great anyways, if a tad too easy. First three parts. Fourth is a violent atrocity of a dumbass plot that enraged me for years after.
"Jolly Good: Cakes and Ale" and it's prequel "Tally Ho!". Actually super good and variative lighthearted text games.
Although, you can just as well play them both on PC.  :P

I feel like i already told about those two there, maybe even to you. And i surely asked for more games of that kind to no avail. Such a niche genre, i don't even know where to begin looking, or if they exist.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 05:31:29 am by MCreeper »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: August 18, 2023, 05:35:33 am »

I feel like i already told about those two there, maybe even to you. And i surely asked for more games of that kind to no avail. Such a niche genre, i don't even know where to begin looking.
This is interactive fiction. Inkle Studios who adapted Sorcery also made 80 Days and Overboard, both of which you'd probably enjoy. Choice of Games have published dozens of games like Tally Ho!

There are hundreds of text-based games that are playable on a phone (most of them for free). There's a good list here on the interactive fiction database, which is mostly text adventures (where you type stuff) but also incudes great choice works like Open Sorcery, and Cactus Blue Motel.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: August 18, 2023, 08:37:30 am »

Chimera or Soul Armors Recollect (particular the former; it's a bit newer) are both swell -- they're both basically arkanoid/brick break/pool fusions with some RPG mechanics and cute storyline.

For pseudo-idle stuff, I love both Stick Rangers and Space Battleship Story RPG to bits (though iirc the ads on them are a little annoying, after a point I'm pretty sure I just turned airplane mode on/wi-fi off before running them).

Magic Survival is Vampire Survivors before there was Vampire Survivors.

Those are some good ones.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: August 18, 2023, 09:03:29 am »

I feel like i already told about those two there, maybe even to you. And i surely asked for more games of that kind to no avail. Such a niche genre, i don't even know where to begin looking.
This is interactive fiction. Inkle Studios who adapted Sorcery also made 80 Days and Overboard, both of which you'd probably enjoy. Choice of Games have published dozens of games like Tally Ho!

There are hundreds of text-based games that are playable on a phone (most of them for free). There's a good list here on the interactive fiction database, which is mostly text adventures (where you type stuff) but also incudes great choice works like Open Sorcery, and Cactus Blue Motel.

Oh, Open Sorcery is great. And of course i would know about other games from the same devs.  :P Not Overboard, though, that was later. Looks like i suddenly got a load of games to play along with Book of Hours.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 09:17:44 am by MCreeper »
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179