Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331932 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2340 on: April 25, 2021, 06:59:02 pm »

Let's try something a little more abstract for a recommendation. Tells me some games you guys wish you could play again for the first time. Something that made you go "man, I wish I could wipe my memory of this game because it's so damn unique and awesome to experience".

For me, one such game was cultist simulator. It was just constant "there are lots of special rules here and you have to figure them out".
Outer Wilds. I would love to forget everything I ever heard or learned about the game so I could experience it all again for the first time. Scary stuff and all.

Skies of Arcadia as well, which I would still rate as one of the best JRPGs.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: April 25, 2021, 08:51:32 pm »

I know I already posted here earlier, but I'm looking through my favorites list for a few (okay, a lot) more. Hopefully I didn't repeat any other folks already mentioned:

Pyre
Synthetik
Library of Ruina
Darkest Dungeon
Running with Rifles
Dead Rising 2
Slay the Spire
Brigador
Death Road to Canada
Hardspace Shipbreaker
Teleglitch
EYE Divine Cybermancy
Cruelty Squad
Post Void
Wasted
Receiver II
Road Redemption
SUPERHOT
SUPERHOT: MIND CONTROL DELETE

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: April 25, 2021, 11:59:53 pm »

Moon Hunters is magical when you first play it.  Yeah, really would like to go back to those days.

Floor 13 is a lot more fun when you don't know what you're doing.  Sign up Flying Lessons!

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: April 26, 2021, 12:48:17 am »

I'd agree.

If at all possible, I'd make sure to never, ever play the ranged character, since, uh... I did not have a fun time. But that's more getting into the Gaming Pet Peeves thread than anything else.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: April 26, 2021, 05:09:51 am »

Magicka. 100%, Magicka.

Playing that the first time, even with how much it chunked and slowed down on my computer (and that's just singleplayer!), it was absolutely one of the greatest gaming moments I have ever experienced.

I played through the entire thing 2-3 times, plus all the DLC, plus some challenge runs for achievements and whatnot. Magicka is absolutely one of very few games that gets more fun if you're bad at it. Once you start learning about things like the steam beam or death crystals, however, it devolves a bit.

Magicka 2 improved considerably after its first release, but still fails to capture the spirit and flow of the first game.

...the first game, which has now been patched and "updated" by whoever Paradox gave the reins to, and now has microtransactions and somehow even worse compatibility than they started with. So now I can't even enjoy that one anymore.

It's enough to make a man sad, y'know?

If at all possible, I'd make sure to never, ever play the ranged character, since, uh... I did not have a fun time. But that's more getting into the Gaming Pet Peeves thread than anything else.

Which ranged character is this? Something from Floor 13?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: April 26, 2021, 06:31:24 am »

Burnout 3: Takedown
BLACK
Dead Rising
Fallout 3
The Last of Us
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Half Life 2
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Destroy All Humans!
Twisted Metal Black

I know I repeated a few things others have said.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: April 26, 2021, 08:09:16 am »

The Ritualist is available from the very start of the game.

She can attack at range.

Some enemies did not appear to retaliate or respond to those attacks in any way.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: April 26, 2021, 09:23:34 am »

The Ritualist is available from the very start of the game.

She can attack at range.

Some enemies did not appear to retaliate or respond to those attacks in any way.

Oh, so we *are* talking Moon Hunters, gotcha! I was just confused because the wording made it seem like you found her to be underpowered, when my recollection pegs her as one of the most brokenly powerful classes available (if not the most).

Yeah, I have... Odd associations with Moon Hunters. There's still a very large amount of content and stories I haven't unlocked yet, but I've already beaten the game (including the "secret" boss) multiple times and basically have to listen to reruns of old stories every time I do another one trying to make progress towards new unlocks.

Also my first time doing the romance ending of the main story, I was playing the sun bro. ...which certainly puts a different angle on that whole interaction, I gotta say.

Then there was the time I shot my mouth off and had to fight the boss *with my hands actually tied behind my back*, as the swordfighter, and still somehow won.

I was very sad to discover then that there was no achievement associated with completing that challenge.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: May 01, 2021, 04:12:18 pm »

Let's try something a little more abstract for a recommendation. Tells me some games you guys wish you could play again for the first time. Something that made you go "man, I wish I could wipe my memory of this game because it's so damn unique and awesome to experience".

For me, one such game was cultist simulator. It was just constant "there are lots of special rules here and you have to figure them out".

Gonna add LCS (Liberal Crime Squad) to that list. 
Now, I KNOW how to play it, so I play it very serious with lots of redundancy, planning, organizing, etc. AKA I do BORING stuff that TAKES FOREVER.
I remember the early days, when I played it like a roguelike: I dove into the dungeon of Conservatism, got my ass kicked, then rolled another character and did it again.  It was AWESOME.
I still sometimes jump in with both feet for the Lutz, but my brain knows better, and if anyone from my squad is alive after the first month, I go back to my sneaky sleazy scheming ways.  And if I can put up with the slog...I usually win.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: May 09, 2021, 02:10:14 pm »

Any games out there like the stronghold series, but waaay more stretched out time-wise? It'd be cool if I could build a kingdom from scratch and wage war with other kingdoms.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 04:14:06 pm by Micro102 »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: May 13, 2021, 10:42:21 am »

Any games out there like the stronghold series, but waaay more stretched out time-wise? It'd be cool if I could build a kingdom from scratch and wage war with other kingdoms.

Mmmmmmm, I'm a little loathe to recommend it because the endgame in singleplayer is unbalanced/weak... but Ymir is kind of like... very complex Strongholf over a much longer period of time. Multiple settlements in your pocket empire, etc.

The enemies are lacking/messed up though. Give it a look-see!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: May 13, 2021, 01:04:37 pm »

Maybe give a look to Song of Syx, there was a demo released last year to showcase the game potential, it was quite good.
The future goal of the developer was to have Song of Syx getting the player to build up a kingdom and fight, trade etc... with other kingdom and various type of other things.

At the time the game was not feature full yet, as it was kickstarted, but it finally managed to reach a founding.
Since then i have no idea how much it evolved toward the developer goal, but it's sold on gog, steam and itch.io so one of those places may have some more information about the current state of the game in comparison to its goal.

https://songsofsyx.com/

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: May 13, 2021, 04:46:19 pm »

Mmmmmmm, I'm a little loathe to recommend it because the endgame in singleplayer is unbalanced/weak... but Ymir is kind of like... very complex Strongholf over a much longer period of time. Multiple settlements in your pocket empire, etc.

The enemies are lacking/messed up though. Give it a look-see!

It looked and sounded interesting as first, but the more I looked into it the more flaws I saw. Maybe once it comes out of early access and the bad reviews die down, I'll try it, but it really reminds me of those browser games where attacking is done while people are offline and you don't actually control the battle.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: May 14, 2021, 10:05:30 pm »

Got recommendations for good singleplayer survival games? Extra points if its got base building and NPCs that join your lil settlement
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: May 14, 2021, 10:18:07 pm »

Got recommendations for good singleplayer survival games? Extra points if its got base building and NPCs that join your lil settlement

Ever try Unreal World? I believe it operates on a last-major-version-is-free system now.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 179