Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331888 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2265 on: February 10, 2021, 12:53:05 pm »

Mount and blade doesn't really have any exploration.

Barotrauma isn't turn based, has exploration, and has combat, but it's AI is beyond hopeless so you HAVE to play with other people.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: February 10, 2021, 01:22:04 pm »

Alright, so I am looking for a game where you and a bunch of misfits form a band and fight and explore stuff.

Requirements:
It can't be turn based.

A Brutal Legend MMO would certainly be an idea.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: February 10, 2021, 01:46:57 pm »

AI misfits? Singleplayer-controlled misfits? Multiplayer with each player being one of the misfits? What flavor of misfittery are we talking here?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: February 10, 2021, 02:09:35 pm »

Alright, so I am looking for a game where you and a bunch of misfits form a band and fight and explore stuff.

Requirements:
It can't be turn based.

I haven't played it myself, but I think A Plague's Tale might fit that niche? Maybe?

I just want to clarify something. Do the misfits actually have to be a well-integrated part of the core gameplay or is it enough to simply have them be part of the story?

If it's the former, then I can also recommend Dragon Age Origins. It's not turn-based! It's real-time with pause! That totally makes a difference, right?  :P
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: February 10, 2021, 08:57:56 pm »

Requirements:
It can't be turn based.

Does Arcanum count?  Or are you looking for something with procedurally generated maps/areas?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: February 11, 2021, 02:21:07 am »

...I think I just experienced a conspiracy moment.

First I saw the comment here vaguely asking for a game where "you and a bunch of misfits form a band and fight and explore stuff" (not turn-based), and then very shortly thereafter Facebook kicked up a link in my feed to an IGN (which I never read) article about how this new game Valheim was "taking over Steam and Twitch" despite still being in early access.

Looking at the Steam page, it's a game where you and a bunch of misfits form a band and fight and explore stuff. Not turn-based.

You're all shadow-members of the great corporate marketing machine, aren't you? I fuckin' knew it...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: February 11, 2021, 07:28:28 am »

Oh hey, I remember seeing a vid of that a bit back.

It looked like Yet Another Ark Clone, and my interest immediately vanished into the aether :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: February 11, 2021, 09:36:44 am »

First I saw the comment here vaguely asking for a game where "you and a bunch of misfits form a band and fight and explore stuff" (not turn-based), and then very shortly thereafter Facebook kicked up a link in my feed to an IGN (which I never read) article about how this new game Valheim was "taking over Steam and Twitch" despite still being in early access.

Looking at the Steam page, it's a game where you and a bunch of misfits form a band and fight and explore stuff. Not turn-based.

You're all shadow-members of the great corporate marketing machine, aren't you? I fuckin' knew it...
Damn, this must be one of the ironic things I've experienced, because right before I made my post I found Valheim while browsing Steam and went like "Hoooooo boy, another shitty survival game we got here huh?"
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: February 11, 2021, 10:36:58 am »

In most Call of Chernobyl - derivated standalone mods (Call of Chernobyl, Anomaly, Call of the Zone, Legend Returns, ... etc..) , you can recruit various stalkers (once you get enough goodwill with their faction) and go die together joyously in radiation/anomalies/mutants/hostile npc fights , so i guess it can fit the "misfits form a band and fight and explore stuff" and it's not turn based.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: February 11, 2021, 02:12:51 pm »

Who reads your mail and makes you buy new games?  We do!  We do!

I'm actually playing Valheim currently - picked it up Saturday, have about... 40 hours into it now.  :o  I never played Ark, or wanted to, but I'd recommend looking at some gameplay videos of this one.  It can be multiplayer - 1-10 players on a server game, and PVP damage can be toggled off.  I think the game difficulty increases as you add players.

A friend asked me what it was like (when I had about 12 hours in) - and my first reply was "Kind of like Minecraft, only more grindy".  I think that first impression stands.  It is, first of all, a very gorgeous game (even with the pixelated graphics), with fantastic music.  Standing on the shore during a storm, watching the waves roll?  Don't think I've ever seen any game act like that.

It is a sandbox, with a very limited goal - hunt boss monsters, hang their heads in a standing-stone circle.  A lot of roaming around, just enjoying the view.  I have not quite yet built a sailboat (karve), but did toddle around on a raft a bit.  Base building is also a thing, and every so often the wildlife will attack your base.

They did some really interesting things, I think.  You only have 25 hit points - but food can buff you with temporary hp, as well as health/stamina regen.  And the "higher level" foods give better buffs.  So as you go into more dangerous areas, you get better foods, and thus more hp.  Gear is a bit gated - you have to kill the first boss to get a pick recipe, and only then start mining tin & copper to make bronze stuff (found in the second "zone").  Iron is found in the next higher difficult area from there, although I'm not in it.  You also get skill levels by doing things - running, jumping, swimming, weapon skills... an they stay with your character, no matter what game world/server you jump into.

EDIT:  This video shows some of the wave action at the end, that I found visually impressive.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:44:07 pm by Urist McSpike »
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: February 11, 2021, 05:30:54 pm »

Oh hey, I remember seeing a vid of that a bit back.

It looked like Yet Another Ark Clone, and my interest immediately vanished into the aether :V
Same here. I've been seeing it advertised everywhere but it just seems like another generic Early Access open world survival craft builder with no new or defining features. I've had enough of those that have been in EA for years (looking at you, 7 Days to Die), or released in a mostly disappointing state (Rust, ARK, No Man's Sky, Empyrion, among others).

Minecraft and Vintage Story are probably two of the only one I've considered not disappointing - mostly because of the moddability that they offer and the community keeping those alive.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: February 11, 2021, 06:29:33 pm »

Someone! Recommend me a lower price jrpg on the switch that would work for someone who has not played all that many jrpgs

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 11, 2021, 07:00:52 pm »

Someone! Recommend me a lower price jrpg on the switch that would work for someone who has not played all that many jrpgs

Most of them are probably fairly pricely, but you might try one of the earlier Final Fantasies? If youre willing to pay 40 which I guess is still lower price lol then you could try ff12
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: February 11, 2021, 07:10:19 pm »

I like Final Fantasy IX :D I think it's the best introduction to JRPGs. And cheap, too!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 11, 2021, 07:15:41 pm »

I'm not sure what's available for the Switch, but I definitely wouldn't go with FFXII if you're looking for a traditional jRPG. It plays like FF: The MMO: Solo Edition.

FFIX seems to be a love it or hate it deal, but it might be better to get it on PC nowadays, with that beautiful graphical update mod.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 179