Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331879 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2235 on: January 01, 2021, 10:52:34 pm »

Supraland gets a thumbs up from me.

However I just figured out why I liked cultist simulator so much so I'm going to fish for more games before I'm done with it. I realized I liked the idea of the game being unconventional fantasy. It had all this back-lore and mechanics like "here are a bunch of elements aspects that sort of make sense but we aren't going go into details. Figure it out."

So I'm looking for fantasy-esque games with mechanics that I can't say I've seen in other games.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: January 02, 2021, 12:23:56 am »

This is more trying to remember the name of the website someone linked in the past few months, it's essentially a project to compile and create a playable archive of a massive number of flash games from the golden years of sites like Kongregate or Armorgames. I thought I bookmarked it the first time around but looking trough my bookmarks I couldn't find it.

One of the ones mentioned here?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154091.msg8214579#msg8214579

Yep, Flashpoint was the one I was thinking of, thanks a bunch :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: January 02, 2021, 12:26:56 am »

A similar type of game is The Talos Principle.  Less on the constant pressure, but if you enjoy Portal, you'll probably enjoy this.

Bought this one on your recommendation and will get Supraland as soon as my Windowsbox is available to me again :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: January 02, 2021, 01:38:11 am »

I really do second the Supraland recommendation. The puzzles may be simple, but most of them are unique. It's one of the few puzzle games I know that uses lateral thinking instead of logical thinking (eg. Baba is you).

I would like a game where crazy obstacles are in your way but with preservation you can overcome them and achieve great things. Something requiring strategy, tactics, and or creativity. Constant pressure and constant reward. Which is probably why I like roguelites so much.

Doom Eternal and Celeste are two games I would like to recommend:

Doom 2016 was a power fantasy, but Eternal increases the difficulty to make you work to be the doom guy (unless you lower the difficulty). There are more enemies types and the existing ones have been made more complex, but you also get some new tools to compensate.

Game starts off hard, and only gets harder as the above elements are slowly introduced giving you satisfying difficulty and progression curve that starts you off at badass and ends with you becoming a gaming god! As long you as you make proper use of everything that's given to you that is. I notice that a lot of people don't use grenades.

Don't worry about the complaints about low ammo. As long as you switch weapons frequently and only pick up ammo packs when you have enough empty space to collect each bullet (thereby, not throwing away any excess), you'll only have to use the chainsaw occasionally, and by that point you'll have enough fuel to one-shot one of the bigger demons.

I think it's exactly what you're looking for. Marauders still suck though.

I also think you'll like Celeste. No combat, but the platforming mechanics become more complex as you play until you start doing some crazy maneuvers. It's not as insane of a progression system as the one in roguelites, but it's pretty good for a platformer. If you think the main campaign is too easy, you can up the difficulty by pursuing harder versions of the same levels in the optional B and C sides.

The story is all about finding the motivation to overcome hard obstacles too. Video game stories may not matter to you, but I think the one in Celeste is very good.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: January 02, 2021, 02:23:32 am »

Happy to see you guys like the recommendations!

So, I'm trying to scratch an itch...   Played Subnautica: Below Zero up to the current story end, then started a replay of Subnautica; both are great games.  I guess these are one of the types of games I enjoy - open world, survival, crafting, bit of a sense of progression, and a bit of a story.  I'm trying to find something else like it.

Here are some I've looked at, and feel are.. lesser.
The good:
Empyrion Galactic Survival is close, but while I love the block-building for ships & structures, I hate the block-repairing of such.  Minecraft is good, but a bit too much of a sandbox - I go in with big ideas, and end up working out of a single room with every crafting thing available.  Also have Oxygen Not Included, which is decent.

The not so good:
Picked up Fortresscraft Evolved, and I'm glad it was cheap - put a bunch of hours in it, and I just can't get the feel for it.  I had picked up Factorio some time ago, and likewise have to give it a pass - just don't want to build for the sake of building.  Satisfactory looks like it'd be much the same - automation for the sake of automation.  Speaking of, Automation Empire was one I'd picked up a year or so ago, and recommend a really hard pass on that.  (My play time is listed at ~100 hours, but the actual PLAY time is a fraction of that - no time compression, and a lot of time spent waiting).  7 Days to Die seemed decent, and was for a bit.  Then it felt shallow.  (I guess I wanted a 3D Cataclysm:DDA)

I do like a variety of other types of games - Portal, Talos Principle, Borderlands, Dead Space, Fallout, Half-Life, Saint's Row, Skyrim, Supraland, X-Com (original & Firaxis), Creeper World, and of course, DF & Cata:DDA. (Lots of others in the library, but these are the notable ones, I guess).

But right now I'm really looking for something else like Subnautica, and can't come up with anything quite like it.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: January 02, 2021, 02:48:58 am »

In terms of survival I've heard and seen good things about Green Hell and Raft, both fairly different in approach but in essence survival crafters with a focus on managing your resources.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: January 02, 2021, 04:18:24 am »

I didn't see The Forest on that list but it's such a popular game I wouldn't be surprised if you've tried it.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: January 02, 2021, 07:51:27 am »

I've looked at all three, The Forest, Green Hell & Raft.  I'm tempted, but not quite sure about them all.  I'd actually wishlisted The Forest & 7DtD at the same time, but got the latter first.  Which I kind of regret...

Still, I guess they might be worth a look, especially if I watch my playtime with an eye to Steam refunds.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: January 02, 2021, 09:33:15 am »

the forest and 7dtd are the most combat focused while green hell is the most survivalist focused but all 3 have various ways to game the survival system, i.e. making tons of farms for food etc. i personally had the most fun with the forest and green hell when it comes to exploring while 7dtd had more fun with the 7day raids of zombos. as for construction all 3 do well, 7dtd is block based construction while the other 2 are not.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #2244 on: January 02, 2021, 03:22:06 pm »

Hi,

I feel vegetation in games is very rarely well done. Colors are weirds, sensations are lacking.
Not only FPS style, but also top down, isometric etc.
This is why i generally dislike games in forest or similar biomes, whatever the genre, even if i like the game’s mechanics.
Some example are The Forest, Zombasite, Green Hell...

Also, it’s "boring", a lot of the survival games do the "forest" thing : cut trees, gather leaves, build wooden walls, etc.
I’d like a dry or weird environment, with other and new ways to survive and thrive.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: January 02, 2021, 06:34:06 pm »

Hi,

I feel vegetation in games is very rarely well done. Colors are weirds, sensations are lacking.
This is why i generally dislike games in forest or similar biomes, whatever the genre, even if i like the game’s mechanics.

Also, it’s "boring", a lot of the survival games do the "forest" thing : cut trees, gather leaves, build wooden walls, etc.
I’d like a dry or weird environment, with other and new ways to survive and thrive.

Well, it ain't dry, but it certainly is weird - have you checked out Subnautica?  Survival, crafting, exploration & a story line with an end-game goal.  And it is, imo, a work of art.  The music, sound effects, & graphics are all top notch.  Everything about it really drives home the bit about being a lone survivor, stranded on a planet.

You know, I enjoy the heck out of the occasional game of Cata:DDA, or Dwarf Fortress (using graphics packs).  The game play really makes up for the top-down, minimilist style.  But even if a game has really great graphics, I still need good content or mechanics to it, to keep my interest.  So I do understand where you're coming from.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: January 02, 2021, 07:15:30 pm »

Hi,

Equilinox ?

Kakroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: January 03, 2021, 12:43:16 am »

4x RPGs (the best name I've found for it that isn't "it's like mount and blade, but...",) like Starsector, Mount and Blade, Space Rangers HD, all the Soldak games, Freeman Guerilla Warfare, the Last Federation, the X3 games and Elite Dangerous and a bunch of space sims, a little EA title called This Land is my Land, another little EA title called Sands of Salzaar, and Dwarf Fortress' adventurer mode, are my favorite jam. I have spent a medically unhealthy amount of hours scouring GOG and Steam for games like this. For whatever reason, when they do come around (and they don't, generally, I haven't really found one made by a AAA developer) they tend to come in one of three flavors:

A) A MOBA-like
B) As mentioned before, a space sim
C) Broken

Freeman and This Land is My Land1 fall into the latter category. Which makes me sad, because they're the ones I'd go to first; I generally don't go for MOBAs and Starsector has kind of given me my fill of being a spaceman in a dynamic world. My dream-game is like, a version of Fallout: New Vegas where the war between the NCR and the Legion actually happens in real time, and instead of being purely reactive the game does its own stuff while you run around doing quests and such. Or a version of Metal Gear V where all the PMC's muck about with one another instead of just sitting around, waiting for you to come kill them. I like being an independent agent in games where the world is fractured into parts that proactively pursue agendas. It doesn't even have to be as drastic as something like Mount and Blade, where you can drift between tactical and strategic gameplay; actually, I aggressively prefer the tactical side. I just really like the idea, at least, of the world being simulated and alive, and your actions being based within it in some way.

Anybody got something like this I haven't mentioned?

1Well, kind of. The dev's priorities seem kind of skewed and there's one too many bits of absurd jank that put the fear in me it's going to turn out to be abandonware.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:47:41 am by Kakroom »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: January 03, 2021, 04:01:15 am »

I think there's a STALKER stand alone that has that.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: January 03, 2021, 01:02:50 pm »

recently played  "empires of the undergowth" recently.
its an interesting take on the simants/rts genre.
i had a lot of fun, though it is early access, content is limited and i think the campaing mode could use a balance pass.
stay away from the discord. as often seen with interesting niche games in ea, youll have to face an elitist group of players that think the game is the best invention since sliced bread and perfect in every way.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 179