Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331873 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2220 on: December 23, 2020, 03:01:19 am »

... I still have fond memories of the original dark sun game, I guess. Think the sequel is on GOG, too. They're both isometric, but I don't think anyone would call the graphics particularly nice, nowadays :V
You mean this: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Sun Series? It does look interesting, the Dark Sun setting(s?) is always rad. Might make me want to try playing Armageddon again, though, haha.   

You just missed it for free on EGS. If you don't mind other platforms, it's 75% off there now.
Aww, nerts. I finally make the leap to a different PC gaming platform, and now one of the games I want is tantalisingly cheap on yet another one! I've heard plenty of bad things about the EGS launcher, but I suppose it can hardly be worse than Steam... right? ???   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: December 23, 2020, 02:25:53 pm »

Also, is Tyranny worth buying for half-price? I vaguely remember looking into it ages ago when it was a fairly recent release and not quite being won over by what I read, or saw - it has that same problem with an unsightly perspective. Gods, I'm glad I didn't buy that expensive-ass game on Steam.   
Really though, I just wanna crush the weak beneath my boots, and then if that eventually gets boring, cut the strong down to size and crush them down there too. That or make endless fat stacks of fantasy dollars from shady dealings. *shrug*   

Have you played Stellaris or other Paradox games? Your goal is to keep levelling up and combining dozens of very small increases until you have a 50% chance of success at the thing you want to do. It might be fun for you, but I never really felt powerful.

Aww, nerts. I finally make the leap to a different PC gaming platform, and now one of the games I want is tantalisingly cheap on yet another one! I've heard plenty of bad things about the EGS launcher, but I suppose it can hardly be worse than Steam... right? ???   

Yeah, looks like it's doing different things to upset people than Valve does, but less ripping people off (they actually pay developers relatively decently) and more collecting information.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: December 23, 2020, 02:59:20 pm »

Also, is Tyranny worth buying for half-price?   
Have you played Stellaris or other Paradox games? Your goal is to keep levelling up and combining dozens of very small increases until you have a 50% chance of success at the thing you want to do. It might be fun for you, but I never really felt powerful.
I can't say that was my experience at all - as a spellcaster, I started feeling downright godlike by the end of the game. Being able to stack modifications on top of modifications while having enough spell slots so that I was able to constantly cast massive killer AoEs/buff spells/healing.

I do definitely agree with the "it falls flat at the end" bit though. You can just about feel the time crunch the devs must have been under - the first tower dungeon is a sprawling affair with multiple rooms, traps, and puzzles. The final tower is literally just a single room.

However, I would call the journey to be well worthwhile. Bunch of branching choices as well, although I haven't run a second playthrough to see how much difference they actually make.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 03:03:12 pm by AlStar »

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: December 23, 2020, 05:28:48 pm »

I'm feeling to itch to play something with high fantasy settings. I don't really have something specific in mind, but I have a few bullets.
- It must have badass spells and creatures. Ideally, I want to play as a mage that can also summon stuff.
- No realtime/clutch combat like Souls games.
- No RTS.
- No spammy hack and slask like Diablo/Grim Dawn.
- So I guess it's something turn-based.
- I don't necessarily need last-gen graphics, but I'm not in the mood for pixel/vintage stuff right now. The combat has to feel satisfying, for lack of a better term.
- I considered the HoMM games, but I would like something more focused on combat and less on strategy/macromanaging.
- Also considered Dragon Age, but I'm not interested into story-heavy games at this point.

I know it's just a list of stuff I don't want, without a real explanation of what I want.
I guess something like Magicka, but turn-based and more high-fantasy.

EDIT: probably some kind of tower-defense would also be fine.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 06:00:36 pm by Ai Shizuka »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: December 23, 2020, 06:24:37 pm »

Hmm... Have you considered Fictorum? The concept gets a bit repetitive and it's mostly just a tech demo/proof-of-concept, but there are some delightfully blasty moments where you're calling down meteors and sending obliterated bridge chunks and hapless soldiers careening off into the abyss. It is realtime, and it looks a bit twitchy from the trailer, but for the most part there's a lot of breathing room involved (except under particularly challenging scenarios/settings).

Age of Wonders series is also a thing, but dunno how much that really hits the nail on the head in this instance. Still a lot of macro involved there.

ToME is there if you're feeling in the mood for a roguelike, but 1) Probably falls under "vintage" graphics, and 2) It's a bit punishing.

Dunno man. If I knew of something better, I'd probably be playing it myself!

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: December 23, 2020, 07:35:12 pm »

Fictorum looks interesting and it's like 3€, so I'm definitely going to check it.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic actually is in my pile of "probably bought in some bundle and promptly forgot about it" games. So thanks for reminding me.

I tried ToME and in theory it's a game I should enjoy. I like punishing games (900 hours on Battle Brothers and 500 on Darkest Dungeon) and ToME ticks a lot of the right boxes, but for some reason I never stick with it for more than a couple hours. Probably the main offender is the extremely cumbersone item/inventory system.

Thanks for your suggestions.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: December 23, 2020, 07:49:09 pm »

Fictorum looks interesting and it's like 3€, so I'm definitely going to check it.

Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic actually is in my pile of "probably bought in some bundle and promptly forgot about it" games. So thanks for reminding me.

I tried ToME and in theory it's a game I should enjoy. I like punishing games (900 hours on Battle Brothers and 500 on Darkest Dungeon) and ToME ticks a lot of the right boxes, but for some reason I never stick with it for more than a couple hours. Probably the main offender is the extremely cumbersone item/inventory system.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Once you beat the fourth level in the trollmire for the first time you get an item that auto-sells all the trash loot you pick up when you leave the map (and stops said items from giving you encumbrance) so inventory management becomes completely irrelavent.
I'm honestly not sure why you don't get it in as soon as you start playing since its such a big help and the lack of it only serves to piss off people trying to play the game, especially since its possible to just miss the fourth level and never unlock it at all.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: December 24, 2020, 06:47:30 pm »

I'm feeling to itch to play something with high fantasy settings. I don't really have something specific in mind, but I have a few bullets.
- It must have badass spells and creatures. Ideally, I want to play as a mage that can also summon stuff.
- No realtime/clutch combat like Souls games.
- No RTS.
- No spammy hack and slask like Diablo/Grim Dawn.
- So I guess it's something turn-based.
- I don't necessarily need last-gen graphics, but I'm not in the mood for pixel/vintage stuff right now. The combat has to feel satisfying, for lack of a better term.
- I considered the HoMM games, but I would like something more focused on combat and less on strategy/macromanaging.
- Also considered Dragon Age, but I'm not interested into story-heavy games at this point.

I know it's just a list of stuff I don't want, without a real explanation of what I want.
I guess something like Magicka, but turn-based and more high-fantasy.

EDIT: probably some kind of tower-defense would also be fine.

You ever take a look at Master of Magic?  4x game, with turn based combats. (I don't know if you lump turn-based in with RTS for playstyle)  But it got complex with all of the magic interplay.

Yeah, it's old.  But it's $3.  And it's Microprose, which put out some fantastic games.  The manuals actually got into the math for stacking enchantments on your units.  You might want to see if you can find some Youtube gameplays.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: December 25, 2020, 08:36:09 am »

If you want HOMM without the strategy, then the King's Bounty series might be something you're looking for.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: December 28, 2020, 05:16:03 pm »

I would like a game where crazy obstacles are in your way but with preservation you can overcome them and achieve great things. Something requiring strategy, tactics, and or creativity. Constant pressure and constant reward. Which is probably why I like roguelites so much.

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: December 31, 2020, 05:36:57 pm »

I would like a game where crazy obstacles are in your way but with preservation you can overcome them and achieve great things. Something requiring strategy, tactics, and or creativity. Constant pressure and constant reward. Which is probably why I like roguelites so much.

Ah, the Steam sale is a good time to look!  These are all under $10 currently.

Supraland is one that I'd also recommend.  Puzzles, action, fighting, lots of exploring.  Great game overall, and there is a demo available.

Not sure if you're looking for a puzzle type of game, but you can't go wrong with a classic, Portal.  While you can take your time with many of the levels, there are spots where you have to react fast.

A similar type of game is The Talos Principle.  Less on the constant pressure, but if you enjoy Portal, you'll probably enjoy this.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: December 31, 2020, 09:05:08 pm »

lol I love both portal and Talos Principle so i will give supraland a try. You seem to have good taste in games :)

But no I wasn't looking for a puzzle game, more like a constant build up of combat as you ramp up in power to crush things that you had to once run away from.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: January 01, 2021, 11:06:54 am »

lol I love both portal and Talos Principle so i will give supraland a try. You seem to have good taste in games :)

But no I wasn't looking for a puzzle game, more like a constant build up of combat as you ramp up in power to crush things that you had to once run away from.

God of War (2018)--seriously

Dark Souls 3 has you v strong at the end compared to your enemies
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: January 01, 2021, 03:56:32 pm »

This is more trying to remember the name of the website someone linked in the past few months, it's essentially a project to compile and create a playable archive of a massive number of flash games from the golden years of sites like Kongregate or Armorgames. I thought I bookmarked it the first time around but looking trough my bookmarks I couldn't find it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: January 01, 2021, 04:27:06 pm »

This is more trying to remember the name of the website someone linked in the past few months, it's essentially a project to compile and create a playable archive of a massive number of flash games from the golden years of sites like Kongregate or Armorgames. I thought I bookmarked it the first time around but looking trough my bookmarks I couldn't find it.

One of the ones mentioned here?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154091.msg8214579#msg8214579
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 179