Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331820 times)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2145 on: August 29, 2020, 08:47:48 am »

Looking for more directional combat games! If you know of one, please let me know! So far I have played or know of...

M&B
M&B II
Chivalry
Mordhau
Gloria Victis
Mortal Online
Last Oasis

I am curious as to what else is out there, if anything.

Die by the Sword?

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: September 05, 2020, 02:44:57 am »

A game that is about being your own mercenary group.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

BoujeeTheAlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 05, 2020, 02:55:24 am »

Battle Brothers
Jagged alliance 2

You could also play as a mostly independent mercenary like dude in something like Mount & Blade or Romance of The 3 Kingdoms

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: September 20, 2020, 10:13:53 am »

Idly wondering about India-themed games, or lack thereof. In fact, i know grand total of two games set specifically in India - Yet Another AC Spinoff and "Champion of Raj" - noname DOS game i accidentally stumbled upon (never played, never will). Add paradox games if we count games that merely feature India. And only things i know about actual India is that it was conquered by Britain at some point, that there be elephants and that buddhism was founded in it. Such a boring place.  :P

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 20, 2020, 10:26:23 am »

Unrest; Kim; Raji.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: September 20, 2020, 06:11:09 pm »

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

A few other fun facts: They have lots of really good breads (mostly unleavened), the title of Emperor(Empress) of India was used by English monarchs all the way up until 1948, and chicken tikka masala isn't actually Indian (exact origins are disputed, but it's basically a western European dish based on Indian cuisine).
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2151 on: September 21, 2020, 04:09:14 am »

Looking for more directional combat games! If you know of one, please let me know! So far I have played or know of...

M&B
M&B II
Chivalry
Mordhau
Gloria Victis
Mortal Online
Last Oasis

I am curious as to what else is out there, if anything.

Die by the Sword?

For Honor

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: September 27, 2020, 04:54:21 pm »

No Man's Sky is half price everywhere right now. Can anyone give me an idea if I'd like it?

I generally enjoyed Prospector, and this seems similar except for less TOS Star Trek and more light crafting?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: September 28, 2020, 06:30:54 am »

I have not played prospector, so can't compare it to that, but I do own No Man's Sky, and got it relatively recently, so well after all the stuff that was wrong on release day was fixed.

As for the game play, survival mode is based on grinding, not problem solving or player skill, this is what I dislike most about the game. The grind may be less in other modes?
What I liked most is the exploration aspect: it has a very large variety in procedural content, with strange wildlife and landscapes to explore. It can be fun to fly around and just visit alien worlds, recording the wildlife. Interactions with NPC's and missions however appear to be much more scripted and more or less the same everywhere?

For reference, according to steam I spend 30 hours in the game, I certainly had fun looking at the wildlife and exploring, but most of that time was spend grinding for certain types of rock or plants because I needed that to repair components of my space ship to progress further.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 29, 2020, 06:57:44 pm »

Grind is pretty real in all modes (except possibly Creative), so if that's not your thing I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Missions and NPCs are pretty interchangeable, true, but that's at least partly a consequence of the game's scale. There's simply too much playable real estate to have unique NPCs and quests in specific locations. Either most of the playerbase would never see them, or those locations would be laggy hellholes from everyone trying to get to them and claim chunks of real estate. Thus, you can find the same sorts of quests everywhere.

There is a sort of multiplayer hub that gets instanced, and that location does have unique NPCs and special missions for party play, but it's kinda in its own pocket dimension and separate from the wider universe. When you leave it, you return to whatever point in space you entered from.

I will say that exploring and planet-hopping can be pretty fun on its own merits, especially on those occasions where you find a cool ship or tool to add to your collection. And it is still getting updated; probably the reason for the sales everywhere is the newest expansion, Origins, which came out just last week.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: September 30, 2020, 11:25:29 am »

I'll play through it for 30 hours - which is enough time to get a post-scarcity base, a decent but not-entirely perfect ship and gear loadout, and most or all of the blueprints - then I just stop playing because everything is the same.

I don't understand the purpose of the mining systems when there's really nothing to spend all those resources on. Sure, you can build a bigger base, but what's the point of the bigger base? And the base building (at least in the last two releases/generations/leagues/whatever that I played) was always kind of wonky. Like, you'd snap square objects to form a 90 degree bend, then go mirror the bend and you'd somehow end up with things out of alignment with each other. And not being able to snap minor items like decorations, except in limited circumstances like lights. (This is to say, I wish bases would generate a grid coordinate system to facilitate snapping objects without it being specific doodads to limited points in rooms.) EM fields could generate a lot of power but to transmit it anywhere (like, say, to locations with resources to mind) you'd have to do a really jank setup where you create bases in a chain and string conduits across the gaps as far as you could manage.

The UI always kind of rubbed me wrong, with all the weird unskippable transitions in conversations that just made them all tedious. I'm sure I had other complaints about the poor usability, if not outright hostility of the UI, though I don't remember them all. Being unable to tab out without pausing the game is one example - like, say, when using pulse drive to travel between planets.

I will probably try again since the update said it made changes to the UI, but I'm doubtful it actually solved any problems and it was largely only a cosmetic reskin.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:48:54 am by Niveras »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 30, 2020, 04:47:00 pm »

I'll play through it for 30 hours - which is enough time to get a post-scarcity base, a decent but not-entirely perfect ship and gear loadout, and most or all of the blueprints - then I just stop playing because everything is the same.

I don't understand the purpose of the mining systems when there's really nothing to spend all those resources on. Sure, you can build a bigger base, but what's the point of the bigger base? And the base building (at least in the last two releases/generations/leagues/whatever that I played) was always kind of wonky. Like, you'd snap square objects to form a 90 degree bend, then go mirror the bend and you'd somehow end up with things out of alignment with each other. And not being able to snap minor items like decorations, except in limited circumstances like lights. (This is to say, I wish bases would generate a grid coordinate system to facilitate snapping objects without it being specific doodads to limited points in rooms.) EM fields could generate a lot of power but to transmit it anywhere (like, say, to locations with resources to mind) you'd have to do a really jank setup where you create bases in a chain and string conduits across the gaps as far as you could manage.

The UI always kind of rubbed me wrong, with all the weird unskippable transitions in conversations that just made them all tedious. I'm sure I had other complaints about the poor usability, if not outright hostility of the UI, though I don't remember them all. Being unable to tab out without pausing the game is one example - like, say, when using pulse drive to travel between planets.

I will probably try again since the update said it made changes to the UI, but I'm doubtful it actually solved any problems and it was largely only a cosmetic reskin.

Yeah, I can see that. Most of the costs are way too low for mining to be important very far into the game. Just occasionally shoot a plant if you need something. Probably also increase the buy/sell disparity for non-trade goods. Keep the player poor for a planet or two. I'm still early game, and just sold 3 stacks (15 each) of scavenged data for a truly stupid amount of money.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 30, 2020, 06:23:32 pm »

Playing Space Pirates and Zombies 2 has made me wonder - what other games have factions that act in the world and can change it?

Games I know that are like that include:

Mount and Blade
Starsector
Battle Brothers (to a degree)

But I'm not really sure what other games there are that are like that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 30, 2020, 07:36:50 pm »

Sands of Salazar has its factions run around and conquer each other.

Basically, like. Any grand strategy game probably counts. Stuff like the X3 games I think has it? Space rangers, I think drox operative. The last federation has it as a key mechanic, chunks of your time is spent manipulating the factions involved.

Pretty sure there's plenty I'm forgetting, games trying to have dynamic faction mechanics aren't really that uncommon, the bigger question is how bad they are at it :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: October 02, 2020, 02:04:56 pm »

What's up peeps, thanks to everyone who gave me some reccs on my last request! Today I'm looking for mercenary management games or something nearby,

Here's what I've played so far:

M&B:Warband--amazing obvo, but I've played it to death and want a bit of a change of pace

M&BII:Bannerlord--a little half-baked right now, and the multiplayer is an incredible step back from Warband.

Battle Brothers--I've actually grown to like TBS games, but Battle Brothers is an absolute nightmare... there's never really a point where difficulty and level-of-badassery intersect, and every time you lose a brother it takes a long time to recover, frankly it's just too brutal for me.

Gloomhaven--Tried it out, actually pretty good, but incomplete so I'm holding off.

Mordheim--A weird mishmash of ideas, (I mean it's a tabletop port so im not complaining) honestly it's just one of those games where everything is a chore... loot's just out of reach, turns take forever, your fav boi gets RNGd to death, etc. etc. I'm not giving up on it just yet, but... it's not promising.

Starsector--I play this a lot actually, but I'm not too much in the sci fi kinda mood.

Darkest Dungeon* -- I have it, but I haven't played it yet so... idk anyone recommend it?

BATTLETECH* -- uh... I don't really know where to start with this one. I have it, and I've tried to get into the setting at large before (Mechwarrior, et al.) but it's pretty impenetrable to me. I might give it another go, but it hasn't kept my attention.

Probably several more, but those are the high profile ones, I've also played alot of party-based/team-based games, either RPGs or... genre-defiers like Bloodbowl (which I love but... cmon man the RNG is brutal)

I'm really just looking for something that lets you build a very customizable core party/team/warband and adventure around a rather fleshed out world with fights. Or at least something where, if it's a more controlled setting, that isn't dominated by RNG and garbage rolls, etc.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 179