Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331640 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1785 on: February 13, 2019, 01:56:39 pm »

I basically agree with you.

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: February 13, 2019, 01:59:29 pm »

Excluding the ArmA series, LCS, and Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare, are there any games which simulate aspects of guerrilla tactics, or have strategic options for guerrilla warfare? The only real example I can think of is C&C Generals with the GLA, but that's extremely limited due to the nature of the game.

You can make extremely heavy use of skirmishing and hit & run tactics in Ultimate General, but I'm guessing you mean more contemporary guerrilla warfare.

Men of War maybe? You can VERY effectively ambush, destroy, and cripple enemy units with only infantry, positioning, and well-placed explosives--but MoW is a purely tactical game.

Honestly, probably games like Stellaris or Distant Worlds, where you can avoid fleet combat and instead focus on destroying industry and logistics of hostile empires.

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: February 14, 2019, 12:05:59 am »

George_Chickens also means that political element then the commandos series won't cover that part well.
Sort of. While I'm more specifically looking for games which cover the paramilitary and political aspect of guerrilla warfare, I'm pretty happy with the cool examples of  games which allow for asymmetric tactics. It's very, very rare that you find a game that actually deals with the political side of things and the building of an organization, so I can make do with games that just handle the tactical side of things. It's rare enough to find a game that lets you adequately utilise small units and raids, let alone all of the above.

The only games  I can think which really fully fits the bill are AI War and, hilariously, Gangsters: Organized Crime. The latter's too clunky to ambush in, but your battles are hinged on having a clear plan to get in, perform your actions, and withdraw before superior forces (enemy reinforcements or endless waves of police and FBI) come to respond, and the game is designed around keeping hidden enough as to not draw the attention of superior forces, but keeping enough popular support to have a stable recruitment base and a decent flow of cash for supplies.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:12:24 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: February 14, 2019, 01:56:47 am »

Skyrim, obviously.

Stealth archer is a go.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: February 14, 2019, 02:18:48 am »

Skyrim, obviously.

Stealth archer is a go.
You can't trick me, Todd. I know your evil tricks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: February 14, 2019, 06:30:18 am »

Guerrilla warfare: It just works.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: February 14, 2019, 09:49:49 am »

Guerrilla warfare: It just works.
See those mountains? You can operate in them.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: February 14, 2019, 10:37:25 am »

A bit off topic but I thought it would be nice to post it.

I always send a quick email to the developers asking them to release it on GoG etc. if they can, as I think that sort of thing helps them see there is demand elsewhere for it.

I sent an email to the devs and they told me they plan to start selling it outside of steam in the upcoming months. They didn't specify on which store so that remains to be seen.

Sneaky edit: As of 27/3/19 Slay the Spire is also available through GOG
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:11:01 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: February 16, 2019, 05:06:54 pm »

im currently looking for an Action RPG or at least something with survival elements slapped on it to a degree that can be played on a low end machine. was considering playing Skyrim on it but this PC doesnt fulfill the Graphics RAM requirement so the game doesnt run smoothly at fullscreen (heck, even in smaller resolutions still feels laggy) so now im trying to find a game close in features but less graphically intensive.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: February 16, 2019, 05:32:57 pm »

How survival-y are we talking here? Like, native Skyrim doesn't really have survival elements in the traditional sense. There's no hunger or thirst, and I suppose you could argue that the crafting is survival-like to an extent... But it's still no Minecraft.

There's Counter Spell, which is fairly clunky but has a mentionable amount of customization for an indie title, plus some light crafting of weapons and I think potions as well. It's also got online co-op/deathmatch, if that's what you're into.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: February 16, 2019, 05:58:31 pm »

well i mean stuff like gathering stuff, cooking (albeit skyrim doesnt do much with foods), crafting, having to stop sometimes to be well rested. the most important thing here is that i can run it in a low end machine, i have a generic graphics card. something from around 2010 or the like perhaps.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: February 16, 2019, 06:01:25 pm »

Maybe In Celebration of Violence, or something like it? Action-rpg, crafting, think there's a food system, pretty sure it does alright on lower end machines.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:02:56 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: February 16, 2019, 06:51:22 pm »

If you're really looking for low-end graphics, some good ol' Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead would do.  :P
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: February 16, 2019, 07:02:24 pm »

i wouldnt mind one with ASCII as long as its open world and has deep character customization like, more than just stats and stuff. 3D with 3rd person-1st person view or isometric is where i was looking for tho.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: February 16, 2019, 07:24:18 pm »

Fable, perhaps?
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 179