Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331628 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1755 on: December 30, 2018, 11:10:02 pm »

You must be way better than I am at StS, if it doesn't take too much thinking
I mean, at some point you're just doing stuff mechanically, whether winning or losing. (there's a 4th act now?)

And yeah, Sunless Sea was a slog with regards to economy. Try Sunless Skies - it's much improved in that regard (but still in EA, for a month more).

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: December 31, 2018, 02:31:10 am »

You must be way better than I am at StS, if it doesn't take too much thinking
I mean, at some point you're just doing stuff mechanically, whether winning or losing. (there's a 4th act now?)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: January 29, 2019, 03:45:35 am »

Kenshi or Starsector?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: January 29, 2019, 03:52:30 am »

Do you like hunting chromosomes for your deyenerates?

Then Kenshi.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: January 29, 2019, 11:41:57 am »

do you want one of your ships to emulate red five and get split off when he could easily stay grouped up and get destroyed?

then Starsector
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:47:12 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

red_squirrel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: January 30, 2019, 03:23:00 am »

It would be nice if smb could recommend me a game about aliens-mutants. Need something strange and a bit scary to play.
Thanks!
P.S. text games and visual novels are welcome!

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: January 30, 2019, 01:14:21 pm »

I am looking for a chess engine designed with variant play in mind. Preferably it would be possible to modify piece movement to make computerized versions of new chess variants.
Having AI would be nice but is not essential.

I am also looking for turn based strategy games where movement options provides extra depth. An example of this would be a tactical rpg where each unit has defined movement patterns.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: January 30, 2019, 05:56:23 pm »

Thanks, I've decided to go with Starsector rather than Kenshi since it runs well under Linux.

I always feel dirty rebooting into Windows.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: February 04, 2019, 04:38:35 pm »

I am looking for a chess engine designed with variant play in mind. Preferably it would be possible to modify piece movement to make computerized versions of new chess variants.
Having AI would be nice but is not essential.
Tabletop simulator is your go-to for that. Essentially it's a board game simulator that allows you to design your own boards and pieces and cards and whatever. There is no AI and you play by manually moving pieces  according to the rules of whatever game your playing. It even gives you the option to screw the rules and just throw things around. There is support for online play and the feature list is very robust, allowing you to quickly shuffle cards as well as hide things from your opponent.

With your example, you can load in a chess board with the pieces, and you can then decide to move the pieces according to the new rules you made up. It does confuse me that you need a program for that. You can technically do that with a real life chess board and pieces. Tabeltop simulator is mainly meant to be a universal solution to the problem of playing board games online.

I am also looking for turn based strategy games where movement options provides extra depth. An example of this would be a tactical rpg where each unit has defined movement patterns.
"Into the Breach" might interest you then. You command a squad of mechs who are trying to defend a city from kaiju like aliens called the vek. Each turn, you will be informed of what the Vek are planning to do and you can do all sorts of things to disrupt their plan. You can damage and kill them of course, but you can also knock them around so they attack the wrong target (including other Vek), afflict them with CC so they can't do anything, or even have them run into environmental hazards.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:43:34 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: February 07, 2019, 09:38:52 am »

I 've been itching to play a card game lately. Slay the Spire fits perfectly in what I'm looking for but it is only available through Steam (or other retailers who sold steam keys) which I don't want to use. So I'll have to look for something else.

Any suggestions? (CCG or deck building are either fine.)
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #1765 on: February 07, 2019, 11:02:50 am »

I 've been itching to play a card game lately. Slay the Spire fits perfectly in what I'm looking for but it is only available through Steam (or other retailers who sold steam keys) which I don't want to use. So I'll have to look for something else.

Hi,

Do you know Argentum Age ?

http://www.argentumage.com/

It's open source, too

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 07, 2019, 11:53:16 am »

Hi

I didn't know about it, thanks for the suggestion. I have to admit that the whole "Build from source" left me a bit intimidated but I found a version on itch.io that I guess is ready to install.

edit: At least according to their reddit, it seems like they dropped support for the ich.io version. I'll see if it can at least serve as a demo when I get back to home. Until then the search continues.
edit2: itch.io version updated itself to v. 1.0.684 (which is the latest I think), I ve been playing for about 4hours and I don't think I like it. It feels too clunky some of the mechanics are downright frustrating.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:13:34 am by Ulfarr »

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 11, 2019, 12:27:16 pm »

Why don't you want to use steam? I hate the pushing for everything to be on a platform as much as the next person, but steam is pretty harmless and is unfortunately the only way to get most games.

If you're worried about privacy you can always use a VPN, set up a new account and buy the game through a key retailer using cash prepaid card ( let me know if you need help doing any of that, although I honestly can't imagine why anyone would be paranoid enough to need to do that). If it's just on a moral standpoint that they're rubbish to developers etc., you could always send a message to the devs of Slay the Spire and tell them how you feel.

Honestly though, Steam is a very lesser evil.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: February 11, 2019, 01:13:51 pm »

This plus Night of the Full Moon. I've heard the latter described as basically being Slay the Spire on Android.

Or if you have an Android/iOS device, just use it instead.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: February 12, 2019, 04:14:41 am »

Why don't you want to use steam? I hate the pushing for everything to be on a platform as much as the next person, but steam is pretty harmless and is unfortunately the only way to get most games.

This plus Night of the Full Moon. I've heard the latter described as basically being Slay the Spire on Android.

Or if you have an Android/iOS device, just use it instead.

Thank you.

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 179