Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331613 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1710 on: September 09, 2018, 08:45:40 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3pfPaoHteY

All you need to know about Kingdom Hearts in one five-hour long video.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: September 10, 2018, 08:30:26 am »

Hey! Please recommend a good squad-based tactical game preferrably with permadeath.
What I've played:
XCom
WH: Chaos Gate
Jagged Alliance
Darkest Dungeon
Battle Brothers

Xenonauts is a very good game based on the old XCOM games, with much the same gameplay.

I don't know if it has perma death or not, but otherwise the recently released Phantom Doctrine should also fit the bill.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02:45 am »

How much could I regret playing Kingdom Hearts 2 without having played the first one?

Would I enjoy it much more if I played them in order?

I played the second one before the first. The second one does a decent enough job recapping the major points of the first. It also plays a hell of a lot smoother.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: September 10, 2018, 01:32:05 pm »

Hey! Please recommend a good squad-based tactical game preferrably with permadeath.

Invisble Inc by Klei is pretty good. It's more stealth focused than the others you've mentioned though. It's been a while since I played but I'm pretty sure you could permanently lose agents.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: September 10, 2018, 08:08:23 pm »

If you're willing to play a similar game to the old XCOM games, you could try modding XCOM: UFO Defense.

OpenXCOM - a mod that has a whole slew of features including bug fixes and other improvements - can have more than a few mods installed for it. Might be worth a look.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: September 16, 2018, 07:34:28 pm »

Been getting a hankering to play something akin to Monster Rancher lately. Quick check shows the series has a few semi-recent entries, but I'm light on consoles and too far out of the loop to know if they're any good.

Anyone have any recommendations for training and battling critters?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: September 20, 2018, 11:14:33 am »

I really like the management sub-game within Yakuza 0, does anyone have any suggestions for weird Japanese management games?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: September 20, 2018, 11:41:41 am »

I have not played Yakuza 0 so my recommendation might be way off the mark.

But if you want a weird Japanese management game then Unholy Heights might be worth a gander. It doesn't have a lot of depth, but it's fun for a while.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/249330/Unholy_Heights/

It looks like it is currently on sale too.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: October 10, 2018, 12:45:59 pm »

So Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen is on a pretty hefty sale on Steam atm, anyone here play it? How does it compare to stuff like DS in terms of combat depth and satisfaction?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1719 on: October 10, 2018, 11:07:56 pm »

I own Dark Arisen but I haven't played it much. On normal difficulty at least, I wouldn't compare it to Dark Souls really, I'd say it feels more like playing the Witcher 2/3 on lower difficulties. That is, normal enemies will deplete your resources but they won't threaten to kill you, but the tough quest beasts and bosses you need to be prepared for and you need to use your brain to attack their weaknesses.

The combat is more forgiving, I only played an archer but it seems it's more about popping skills and abilities than positioning, defense, and situational awareness, which if you lapse on those at almost any moment in Dark Souls you will be killed without mercy. You're not going to be checkpointing on an area over and over trying to beat it unless you wander into a high level area, and usually your play can't make up for your weaknesses unlike Dark Souls where sequence breaking is really easy.

It's different and unique. Worth a try whatever your feelings are on Dark Souls.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:13:16 pm by Parsely »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: October 11, 2018, 05:33:19 am »

... Dark Arisen is almost entirely about movement and position, it isn't a soulslike in any meaningful way, but it certainly does have a hell of a lot more to it than spamming skills.  Hell it is still basically the only game around that allows you to actually climb on giant creatures in order to impede their movements and target their weaknesses (I am not counting Shadow of the Colossus, very, very different game mechanics at play here).  It's got locational damage (on the big boys, not really on anything else, but the game is pretty much completely centered around killing giant creatures), it has a vast array of classes, skills, weapons and equipment.  It also has what may be the most advanced partner AI ever plugged into a triple-a game, you will create a 'pawn' ai companion pretty early on in the game who WILL actually learn from your orders and actions.

I whole-heartedly endorse purchasing the game, just... don't expect anything much from the story, it's very bland and kinda dumb.  But that isn't why you buy DD:DA, you buy it to knock dragons out of the sky with a well placed arrow, then leap onto its chest and cut out its heart.  You buy DD:DA to climb on a Cyclops and jam your blade into its eye.  And most importantly, you buy DD:DA to play dress-up with your pawn.

Edit:  I should note that level and equipment play an extremely important part in how the game plays, very different from DS, and far more in tune with old-school JRPG style.  Late-game weapons and equipment make the game almost laughably easy, but they aren't 'easy' to acquire, and they don't have that level of power until fully upgraded and dragonforged.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:40:19 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 12, 2018, 09:53:23 am »

I'm suddenly so into synthwave. I need something to play while listening to synthwave, that is not Amiga's Outrun. Thx!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 12, 2018, 10:15:49 am »

I'm suddenly so into synthwave. I need something to play while listening to synthwave, that is not Amiga's Outrun. Thx!

I found Synthwave Dream 85:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/881130/Synthwave_Dream_85/

If you look closely, it's not Outrun; it's probably worse!

Early Access, so...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: October 12, 2018, 10:21:44 am »

I found Synthwave Dream 85:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/881130/Synthwave_Dream_85/

If you look closely, it's not Outrun; it's probably worse!

Early Access, so...
O_o It's like Robot Unicorn Attack, only less so and badder! I'm gonna follow this for the time being.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: October 15, 2018, 02:48:49 pm »

... Dark Arisen is almost entirely about movement and position, it isn't a soulslike in any meaningful way, but it certainly does have a hell of a lot more to it than spamming skills.  Hell it is still basically the only game around that allows you to actually climb on giant creatures in order to impede their movements and target their weaknesses (I am not counting Shadow of the Colossus, very, very different game mechanics at play here).  It's got locational damage (on the big boys, not really on anything else, but the game is pretty much completely centered around killing giant creatures), it has a vast array of classes, skills, weapons and equipment.  It also has what may be the most advanced partner AI ever plugged into a triple-a game, you will create a 'pawn' ai companion pretty early on in the game who WILL actually learn from your orders and actions.

I whole-heartedly endorse purchasing the game, just... don't expect anything much from the story, it's very bland and kinda dumb.  But that isn't why you buy DD:DA, you buy it to knock dragons out of the sky with a well placed arrow, then leap onto its chest and cut out its heart.  You buy DD:DA to climb on a Cyclops and jam your blade into its eye.  And most importantly, you buy DD:DA to play dress-up with your pawn.

Edit:  I should note that level and equipment play an extremely important part in how the game plays, very different from DS, and far more in tune with old-school JRPG style.  Late-game weapons and equipment make the game almost laughably easy, but they aren't 'easy' to acquire, and they don't have that level of power until fully upgraded and dragonforged.
The thief/archer archetype isn't particularly positional; in open terrain you can kite just about anything.  In my own Dragon's Dogma game I was more worried about my pawns dying than I was about any damage to myself.  It mostly comes down to how much patience you have for sssssllllloooowwwwwllllllyyyyy killing things with your bow.  I had relatively little patience for that so I spent most of my time climbing on monsters and stabbing them, which really is the most fun part of Dragon's Dogma IMO.  And the archer archetype is great at it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 179