Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331442 times)

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1365 on: January 03, 2017, 02:36:24 pm »

It doesn't need to be a single ability, a complex system is actually better for this.

Basically, it's not about the use of one attack, it's about learning poweful abilities and feeling like the winner is the one using those better.

Some system like in Magicka but with more "progression" in the power levels, maybe.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: January 03, 2017, 06:12:31 pm »

Thanks for the tips. I've already played Fallout, KoDP and Planescape, but I will check out those Geneforge titles.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: January 03, 2017, 08:05:57 pm »

Mostly idle curiousity: are there any games like KOTOR II that have you (at least occasionally) split up your party, so that you can't rely on always having one character specialized in something?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: January 03, 2017, 11:44:39 pm »

... Huh. I actually can't think of any examples.

Final Fantasy VI splits the party on a few different occasions. It's not really what you're looking for though, since almost every character is passable if they're the appropriate level for the area/dungeon/boss you're on (if you've been teaching them good spells). Even in the final dungeon, having one of your A-team per group is more than enough IIRC.

There's also the pretty well-known spoiler near the middle that makes you lose your whole party, and can result in some drastically underleveled characters by the time you pick them all back up.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:48:11 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: January 05, 2017, 07:59:50 am »

I doubt such a game exists, but here it goes.

I'd like to play a game that is an open world RTS with base building. City building, resource collection, and combat. Sort of like if a stronghold game had maps the size of a country.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: January 05, 2017, 12:35:44 pm »

I'd like to play a game that is an open world RTS with base building. City building, resource collection, and combat. Sort of like if a stronghold game had maps the size of a country.

https://www.landsoflords.com

Pretty close. If you check out some of the big cities you'll see just how stronghold-y it can get. Combat is somewhat abstracted in comparison though. The rest fits the bill.

Rimworld with the Medieval Mod maybe.

Sadly I don't think a game like that really exists. Open world Castle-Builder is like my #1 fantasy lol.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: January 05, 2017, 12:58:29 pm »

Almost like Kenshi

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: January 06, 2017, 02:22:16 am »

https://www.landsoflords.com

Pretty close. If you check out some of the big cities you'll see just how stronghold-y it can get. Combat is somewhat abstracted in comparison though. The rest fits the bill.

Rimworld with the Medieval Mod maybe.

Sadly I don't think a game like that really exists. Open world Castle-Builder is like my #1 fantasy lol.

This actually looks quite fun! Thank you!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 12, 2017, 03:28:46 pm »

Okay, so... Kind of a different recommendation today. Can you guys recommend MGS:V??? I would get it if I had a PS4 or XBONE, BUT as fate would have it... I don't have a "next-gen" system. My choices to play it are my 360 or my Gaming Laptop from 2011 that has hardly been turned on in the last 2.5 years(EDIT: That's also riddled with viruses.) So... Is it worth it? Of course, I'm not a huge stickler for perfect graphics, but I know that in many cases, next gen games on 360s suffer in performance and even lack animations/physics/features of their next-gen counterparts. Any thoughts?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: January 12, 2017, 03:36:34 pm »

What are your laptop specs? I could run the game on min (and it still looked damn nice) on my equally old lappy. An i3 Inspiron with 4 gigs of RAM and a GT525M GPU. It had FPS hovering around 30 for the most part, dipping lower when shit got hectic or some nasty weather rolled in.

The game was suprisingly well optimised and I hadn't even expected it to run in the first place.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: January 12, 2017, 03:41:24 pm »

What are your laptop specs? I could run the game on min (and it still looked damn nice) on my equally old lappy. An i3 Inspiron with 4 gigs of RAM and a GT525M GPU. It had FPS hovering around 30 for the most part, dipping lower when shit got hectic or some nasty weather rolled in.

The game was suprisingly well optimised and I hadn't even expected it to run in the first place.

It's an ASUS, takes forever to start, but I'm fairly sure it's got 8 gigs of RAM, DX11 support, and a Nvidia graphics card--which usually does the trick. However... It IS riddled with viruses.

EDIT: Sources report that is also surprisingly well optimized for the 360, so I might get it on that... AND, now that I recall, my old laptop is bugged--even Steam brings up virus-y webpages. Best just to burn that laptop in a fire... it had a good run.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:45:21 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: January 12, 2017, 03:49:26 pm »

Reinstall windows maybe? That usually does the trick, and most manufacturers still have all the neccessary software for older models on their pages (I know Dell does). It's a bit of work sure, but no point in throwing away perfectly serviceable hardware if you can help it :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: January 12, 2017, 03:52:46 pm »

Reinstall windows maybe? That usually does the trick, and most manufacturers still have all the neccessary software for older models on their pages (I know Dell does). It's a bit of work sure, but no point in throwing away perfectly serviceable hardware if you can help it :V

Hmmm, thats not a bad idea actually... I dont use it for anything.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: January 15, 2017, 05:05:34 pm »

Updoot: Ended up getting it on my 360... still looks fantastic. One of the most fun games ever... Every mission just feels so badass. The story is eh, but... it doesnt super matter, because you just feel like the ultimate modern-day ninja.

Anyhoo... Some stuff in another thread got me thinking. Any good "world building" games where you can really craft a/the world other than Minecraft. Games that have really good level/map editors can be shoved in there too. Preferably ones that still have a player market for maps/mods or a SP where you can enjoy the world and fill it with NPCs, etc.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: January 15, 2017, 05:29:23 pm »

Warcraft 3 TFT's map editor. it is amazing and people do still make maps for it to this day AFAIK. It comes free with TFT too, so you get a great RTS with it.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 179