Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331414 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1305 on: November 16, 2016, 10:36:48 am »

Some that come to mind that have potentially bad endings.

The Witcher 3

Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Transistor (sort of)

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: November 17, 2016, 12:49:30 am »

What are some games that have a lot of "bad ends" where things go horrifically, catastrophically wrong? You die, your friends die, the land is covered in shadow, peace will never return, so on.

The Age of Decadence has quite a few bad or extremely bleak endings (the world is now ruled by a uncaring autocracy with a penchant for crucifixion.) Way of the Samurai 3 and 4 have a couple bad ends too although I can't quite recall how common or uncommon they are.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:51:51 am by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: November 18, 2016, 03:26:30 am »

I still need to get Age of Decadence sometime. Hopefully it comes on sale at some point.

Anyway, speaking of sales: Is the Avernum series any good? If so, which game is best to start with?
Steam recommended Avernum: Escape From the Pit to me as it's heavily discounted, but it turns out there are a shitload of Avernum games on Steam and they're all similarly discounted, and all look at least mildly interesting. Help!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:32 am »

Oh, don't worry, I wasn't about to buy an entire series of games I've never tried before, not even at around $2 each, haha.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like a rather strange state of affairs. I might give Pit a go.
Booze is Life for Yoink

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: November 19, 2016, 01:46:21 pm »

Looking for a game where you captain a spaceship and its crew. It's important that you can walk around in the ship (either visually or text-based, doesn't matter), and that the crew are individuals with names etc and not random minions. At least semi-open world. Think FTL but more simulation/strategy/rpg-like elements and less arcade/action. Oh, and while it doesn't matter if it's text-based, I'm not OK with keyboard commands and such, I wanna use my mouth in that case.

EDIT: Speaking of the devil, I'm pretty sure there was a game being made via crowdfunding fitting this description fairly well. Can't remember the name of it now though, and I'm confident it hasn't been released yet so it's not an alternative either way.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:15:35 pm by cider »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: November 19, 2016, 04:14:23 pm »

Looking for a game where you captain a spaceship and its crew. It's important that you can walk around in the ship (either visually or text-based, doesn't matter), and that the crew are individuals with names etc and not random minions. At least semi-open world. Think FTL but more simulation/strategy/rpg-like elements and less arcade/action. Oh, and while it doesn't matter if it's text-based, I'm not OK with keyboard commands and such, I wanna use my mouth in that case.

Pulsar: Lost Colony is literally exactly that. Artemis Bridge Simulator. A couple of others floating around.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: November 19, 2016, 04:16:13 pm »

Pulsar: Lost Colony is literally exactly that. Artemis Bridge Simulator. A couple of others floating around.

Mistake by me not mentioning it's single player games I'm looking for. Thanks anyway!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: November 19, 2016, 05:49:27 pm »

fair. As a side note, you may still wanna check out Pulsar a couple updates from now, the dev team is working on crew AI for single player sessions.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: November 20, 2016, 06:25:55 am »

So suppose I really enjoyed the Shadowrun series, but I've played all of the games in it for now (except the Chronicles: Boston one, which has really bad reviews). I also really enjoyed Transistor and VA-11-Hall A recently.
So is there a story-rich post/cyberpunk game that is preferably a turn-based strategy that you would recommend, based on these titles?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 20, 2016, 07:23:40 am »

EDIT: Speaking of the devil, I'm pretty sure there was a game being made via crowdfunding fitting this description fairly well. Can't remember the name of it now though, and I'm confident it hasn't been released yet so it's not an alternative either way.

The only thing I can think of that's anything like this is the Mass Effect series.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 20, 2016, 08:34:00 am »

BloodNet.
Good grief, that game looks like a trip. I kinda want to play it now.
Booze is Life for Yoink

fourtytwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 20, 2016, 08:42:24 am »

Cataclysm DDA.
Free post-apocalypse zombie game where you can get maimed by a moose, build a car that breaks the sound barrier, fight giant spiders, get shot by crazy NPCs, catch the cold, accidentally burn down your house, fight walking plants, and mutate into a lizzardman, and other !!SCIENCEY!! fun. What's not to love?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 20, 2016, 09:42:35 am »

So suppose I really enjoyed the Shadowrun series, but I've played all of the games in it for now (except the Chronicles: Boston one, which has really bad reviews). I also really enjoyed Transistor and VA-11-Hall A recently.
So is there a story-rich post/cyberpunk game that is preferably a turn-based strategy that you would recommend, based on these titles?
You... could try one of the old console shadowrun games? SNES and Genesis. Think one of the two was turn based, and the other not but not terribly difficult on the combat front, either. Can't recall how well they've held up to the years passing, but...

Ah, the snes one was mentioned. Yeah, either are dead easy to emulate if you feel like going that route (and, of course, own the original cartridge yadda yadda nudge wink).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 09:45:17 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 21, 2016, 09:33:55 pm »

A good LOTR game--preferably for mac. Having recently played Sil and rewatching the movies AND being an old veteran of LOTRO, I find often that my itch for LOTR games can't be scratched--so anything really, or failing LOTR, medieval or fantasy in general--again, preferably for mac!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 09:38:36 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: November 21, 2016, 10:46:31 pm »

Medieval II got ported over to Mac. The LOTR mod should work on Mac with a few tweaks. Unsure if the LOTR mod for Mount and Blade Warband is available on Mac as well. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor also supports Mac.

There's a drought of good LOTR games in general though, so finding good ones on Mac is even harder.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 179