Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331408 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1290 on: November 11, 2016, 10:24:46 pm »

a game for the Nintendo DS, Nintendo gamecube, or a game that would work on my old laptop.

For DS:

I quite liked Final Fantasy Tactics A2. Not as good as the first game by a long shot, but not offensively bad and there's plenty of new unit types to play with. Final Fantasy III was fun, partially because it's just a 3D version of an NES RPG. I've never played FFIV DS though, and if you're going to buy those versions I recommend just buying the PC rereleases to avoid the hassle of changing carts and playing on a tiny handheld. The stunted, unnecessary, half-formed online "features" for both DS and PC are probably long dead anyway.

I also quite liked Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. I feel like it gets a bad rap because the DS itself wasn't a terribly great console, but I had a lot of fun. I like the Spirit Train a lot better than the boat in Wind Waker, at least.

Metroid Prime: Hunters wasn't the worst DS FPS I've ever played.

For GC:

I recommend Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. It may be rushed, but I prefer it to Wind Waker's all-style-no-substance approach. There's also the Gamecube ports of the N64 Zeldas, if you want to play games better than Wind Waker and Twilight Princess combined.

Metroid Prime is a no-brainer, and I may be weird but I find a lot of fun in Smash Bros. single-player.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:27:14 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: November 11, 2016, 10:35:59 pm »

What's a single-player action game that has a relatively high skill barrier? Something that's easy to learn, but beating takes a lot of practice and possibly luck. If anybody reading has played it, I'm thinking of Perfect Dark on the "Perfect Agent" difficulty, although without the more obtuse puzzle objectives.
Any of the Devil May Cry games (except the reboot, which reacts poorly to higher difficulties), Bayonetta, Nuclear Throne... Earth Defense Force?

...you'd think I'd own more difficult single player twitch games.  I guess there's this little game called Dark Souls.  You might have heard of it.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: November 12, 2016, 05:18:58 am »

Some enjoyable gamecube games:

Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime
Robotech Battlecry
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2
Soul Calibur 2

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: November 12, 2016, 12:45:56 pm »

Soul Caliber 2 gets my recommendation for being the only arcade fighter I've ever seen (as in, that was actually in arcades) to have an actually fun single player mode.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: November 13, 2016, 02:01:00 am »

Tried out the battlefield 1 beta recently before launch. I had a lot of fun with it. In the past I usually looked for games with a lot of depth, but these days that puts me off. Multiplayer games seem to offer an easy to way to have some fun without investing a lot of energy into learning the mechanics.  I can't really afford to buy the full version of B1 though (and I don't like the idea of paying for the single player campaign that I'm not even remotely interested in), so I'm wondering what else might be out there.

Any other easily accessible multiplayer games that people might want to recommend? FPS is nice, but it doesn't have to be. I was thinking of giving King Authors Gold another go if the servers are still happening for example. I enjoyed that quite a lot five years or so back.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: November 13, 2016, 02:08:12 am »

Tried out the battlefield 1 beta recently before launch. I had a lot of fun with it. In the past I usually looked for games with a lot of depth, but these days that puts me off. Multiplayer games seem to offer an easy to way to have some fun without investing a lot of energy into learning the mechanics.  I can't really afford to buy the full version of B1 though (and I don't like the idea of paying for the single player campaign that I'm not even remotely interested in), so I'm wondering what else might be out there.

Any other easily accessible multiplayer games that people might want to recommend? FPS is nice, but it doesn't have to be. I was thinking of giving King Authors Gold another go if the servers are still happening for example. I enjoyed that quite a lot five years or so back.

I quite like Star Trek Online. It has just enough depth to be engaging, but you'll have no problem if you pay attention and play regularly. That's just space battles though; the ground combat is pitifully easy. Good luck finding any actual multiplayer content though, as the group instances were pretty lame last time I played.

War Thunder used to be alright, but I hear it's gotten really unfair and unbalanced in recent times.

I really enjoyed casual WoW PVP. There's no penalty for losing and it's the best way to interact with other players early in the game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Ak-Sai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: November 13, 2016, 04:59:36 am »

Could someone suggest me a roguelike game with multiplayer support? It would be nice to clear some dungeons and engage in tactical combat with one or two fellows ) Thnks.
Feed 'em please)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 13, 2016, 05:26:03 am »

There's Path of Exile (also a Diablo-like) but as with most multiplayer games I have a feeling it's best with friends as opposed to randos.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: November 13, 2016, 05:40:10 am »

Yeah, one of the core designs in roguelikes are their turn based systems. You can open your inventory, examine the stats of each weapon you carry, reference the strengths and weaknesses of the monster you're fighting, decide you'd rather cast a spell, check your spell list and realise you haven't learned the spell you need yet, then find a wand in your inventory that will do it instead and use that. All in one turn.

If you'd rather simply play a PvE game with PvP based in roguelike graphics, many MUDs will cater to your tastes instead.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 13, 2016, 07:31:35 am »

Seconding Path of Exile, it's like a more complex, free-form character making version of Diablo.

Also, if it's large war games you're looking for, try Planetside 2. You are just one speck in a sea of specks all trying to take objectives. I don't think i've had more fun then i have on a really hectic biolab assault.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: November 15, 2016, 03:45:38 am »

I want a simple game that I can play while watching videos. Like a light puzzle/strategy game that is visually appealing.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: November 15, 2016, 09:31:17 am »

Mini Metro might do the trick for you then.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: November 15, 2016, 10:01:21 am »

Yolan: Titanfall 2? I haven't tried it personally. Here's Jim Sterling talking about it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: November 16, 2016, 10:14:03 am »

What are some games that have a lot of "bad ends" where things go horrifically, catastrophically wrong? You die, your friends die, the land is covered in shadow, peace will never return, so on.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1304 on: November 16, 2016, 10:30:51 am »

I want a simple game that I can play while watching videos. Like a light puzzle/strategy game that is visually appealing.
Regency Solitaire isn't actually solitaire (or at least the kind I'm used to playing) and not that fun to win once you realize that the levels are not designed but instead entirely random and easy to lose, but a decent enough time waster, with some visual novel cutscenes you can skip in between clutches of levels.

Hexcells is a really really fun and addicting puzzle game. I recommend picking up the whole pack of them all at once.

Time Clickers is a free incremental game that is, like most incremental games, fun to play at first but which you will learn to hate after sinking 80 hours into it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:35:37 am by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 179