Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331409 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1275 on: October 30, 2016, 12:21:42 pm »

It's worth waiting for a discount. S'alright game, and probably worth eight bucks if you were under a time limit where the funds are usable, but it's also probably not good enough to impulse buy if you can stand waiting for it to go lower.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: October 30, 2016, 12:58:01 pm »

I'm thinking about getting Rimworld on Steam, although there's no discount. ...
It's worth waiting for a discount. ...

and...  (cross-quoted from the Rimworld thread)

Just waiting for this thing to go on sale, just waiting, waiting waiting.

It's gonna be a long, long wait.

For the record, Tynan is the dev; you might want to take him at his word.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: November 03, 2016, 02:03:24 pm »

I would like an RPG with a little twist.

You know in RPGs nowadays, when you go into a town and you see, say a weapon vendor, and you know that even if his stuff is better than yours its still not worth buying because you will eventually find something better inside a wild animal, and until then you can make do with the crap you have in hand?
Or those games in which you get points every level, which you can spend to buy new spells, but you end up keeping them to buy the high-tier spells quickly, and again you can make do with your current limited list of cantrips?

I wanted a game in which those strategies are not practical. One that every equipment found can be a boon. Something that makes you adapt your playstyle with every level-up. To sum it up, I wanted a game in which you feel every upgrade as unique and useful.

Anyone knows one of these? It will probably be one of those old rpgs. That format seems to not be very popular these days.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: November 03, 2016, 04:43:03 pm »

Dark Souls is kind of like that where different weapon types actually make you change your combat style rather than just increase the damage output.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: November 03, 2016, 06:03:23 pm »

... siralim? 2 more than 1. Items are more because the forge and enchantment exists, and level ups specifically aren't that impactful (there's other progression metrics that are) but otherwise...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trebz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: November 07, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »

I would like an RPG with a little twist.

You know in RPGs nowadays, when you go into a town and you see, say a weapon vendor, and you know that even if his stuff is better than yours its still not worth buying because you will eventually find something better inside a wild animal, and until then you can make do with the crap you have in hand?
Or those games in which you get points every level, which you can spend to buy new spells, but you end up keeping them to buy the high-tier spells quickly, and again you can make do with your current limited list of cantrips?

I wanted a game in which those strategies are not practical. One that every equipment found can be a boon. Something that makes you adapt your playstyle with every level-up. To sum it up, I wanted a game in which you feel every upgrade as unique and useful.

Anyone knows one of these? It will probably be one of those old rpgs. That format seems to not be very popular these days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun:_Shattered_Lands

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: November 11, 2016, 07:04:27 am »

What's a single-player action game that has a relatively high skill barrier? Something that's easy to learn, but beating takes a lot of practice and possibly luck. If anybody reading has played it, I'm thinking of Perfect Dark on the "Perfect Agent" difficulty, although without the more obtuse puzzle objectives.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: November 11, 2016, 07:49:25 am »

What's a single-player action game that has a relatively high skill barrier? Something that's easy to learn, but beating takes a lot of practice and possibly luck. If anybody reading has played it, I'm thinking of Perfect Dark on the "Perfect Agent" difficulty, although without the more obtuse puzzle objectives.

The original Deus Ex on Realistic difficulty? "A headshot is a lethal takedown." That goes for both you and the NPCs - if you let them, enemies will shoot you in the head and you will die. (Later in the game, you can get an augmentation that can protect you against bullets, and you'll run into enemies that are tougher as well)

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines? (I had to start over completely when I got to a particular boss, because I couldn't do shit to him because my character (with the skills I had leveled up etc) was not able to deal with someone like him, and I had ignored/missed weapons that would have greatly helped me there, and had used up blood packs earlier (they might have helped me beat him despite everything else)

AI War? (Probably not action-gamey enough, since it's kind of sort of an overcomplicated RTS with a bad UI)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 07:51:10 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: November 11, 2016, 10:36:55 am »

I'd suggest Hyper Light Drifter, a particularly gorgeous and engaging top-down action/exploration game, or the Touhou Project, a series of vertical-scrolling bullet hell shooters.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: November 11, 2016, 10:50:51 am »

I was about to suggest way of the samurai, but that gets easy once you grasp the basics and how to make better swords.
Same with Dragon's Dogma, that also gets a bit easy once you've got your builds down, and its easy to break wide open from the start if you borrow a high level pawn.

The closest I can think of is....Space Rangers HD? Though, it's much more of a space sim then an action game, but until you get outfitted, you will get shit on by the dominators all the damn time. Even after you get outfitted, if you join in the war to stop them, you'll probably still get your shit slapped.
The Gothic RPG series? They are all about character progression, without foreknowledge the game will shit on a new character so hard. You actually have to learn how to fight correctly and survive from starting as a peasant.
I can't recommend any good shooters that aren't also online, but if i think of any that are good with harder difficulty, i'll post it.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: November 11, 2016, 02:41:41 pm »

a game for the Nintendo DS, Nintendo gamecube, or a game that would work on my old laptop.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: November 11, 2016, 02:51:38 pm »

I'll second the gothic series. I have gothic 2 and eventually gave up because I was inevitably wtfpwned as soon as I advanced the plot twice, went into the caves /mountains/whatever.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: November 11, 2016, 03:49:01 pm »

a game for the Nintendo DS, Nintendo gamecube, or a game that would work on my old laptop.

Um.....for the DS there's Infinite Space, a sort of space sim/rpg for the DS. Kinda hard to find, but you could just emulate it off the interwebz. Pretty fun with a somewhat TTGL style story towards the end.

Gamecube...original Resident Evil 4? A classic for its time. I don't know many for the 'Cube.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: November 11, 2016, 03:51:20 pm »

Nintendo gamecube

Geist. I don't think I've found a game like it since.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: November 11, 2016, 08:03:09 pm »

a game for the Nintendo DS
Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Or any of the earlier Advance Wars titles that are compatible with the DS.
You're welcome. :)

As for Gamecube, the two best games on there were of course Wind Waker and Luigi's Mansion, but you've probably played those already.
Pikmin? I never finished it but I remember that being pretty great.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 179