Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331369 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1200 on: August 15, 2016, 11:20:16 pm »

@itisnotlogical: Collecting stuff mostly. Catch bugs and fish to donate to a museum, dig up beeping statues to decorate your house with or sell to buy other furniture and upgrade your house. You can try and complete sets of items to style rooms with specific themes. There's also the animal villagers who you can do jobs for, give gifts and various other things. The games a long term one as each villager has a birthday on a certain day of the year and other events occur on specific days.

I did enjoy my playtime of New Leaf, though the collection aspect didn't keep me interested long enough to complete my house. Most of what I see done about Animal Crossing is either giving it creepy undertones or focusing on the sometimes odd behavior of the animals; "I want that orange you've got, take my shirt. Now I want to buy that shirt from you".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #1201 on: August 18, 2016, 11:03:26 pm »

Are there any good Platinum-style character action games on PC?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: August 19, 2016, 01:42:43 am »

As somebody who's never played Animal Crossing, what is the appeal of the series?

Like stardew valley with more dynamic social elements and collecting, but minus the farming and wifuing.

Also multiplayer.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 19, 2016, 04:51:35 am »

Animal crossing is weird, new leaf being the best.
Your a human in a debt with a raccon who makes you work for him to pay off your debt, then puts you in further debt so now you know if you stop shaking trees and fishing you will end up dead like mr resettis eyes.
Its a debt sim with an odd mask for jobs and friends.
Multiplayer is funny. Most people are generous.
I dislike the feel of the game though.

Anyone know of a truly horror RPG?
Like visualy disturbing and with decent rpg/jrpg mechanics? Magic optional
Not just a disturbing level in an otherwise normal game.
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: August 19, 2016, 05:31:44 am »

I don't really know of any horror RPGs. I think there's digital copies of various Cthulhu mythos rpgs on Steam, on I saw recently was "Mansion of Madness" but that's a companion app for the tabletop game.

There's some isometric horror games. "Sanitarium" is one that comes to mind but that doesn't have any character leveling or stats as it's more of an adventure game. "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines" also but whether that's all horror or only the seaside hotel and the Tzimisce house are is more up to you.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: August 19, 2016, 05:38:31 am »

I think there's digital copies of various Cthulhu mythos rpgs on Steam

I confess to not really playing any of the later games, but the original "Alone in the Dark" was pretty amazing and probably the best if you can get past the antiquated graphics and interface.

System Shock 1 was horrifying in ways that the sequel never managed to be, but again the atmosphere might not be immersive for a modern gamer.  There is a 'remastered' version that includes such luxuries as mouse-look, so it might be playable.

also:  http://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=122%2C1667

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: August 19, 2016, 06:08:04 am »

Ah, yes. System Shock 1 and 2 are horror RPGs. First person but with RPG elements.

Thinking more, I remember watching a let's play series of a JRPG-like game. The graphics were top down like RPG maker and it was about a bunch of kids stuck in a school with a murderous ghost.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 19, 2016, 08:28:51 am »

A bit of a twist on this request. Recommend me a game to watch other people play on youtube.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: August 19, 2016, 08:52:00 am »

A bit of a twist on this request. Recommend me a game to watch other people play on youtube.

This playthrough of The Beginner's Guide if you want to go on a feels trip.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll also say most of the things on the GTLive channel.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 19, 2016, 11:41:43 am »

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is pretty close for horror RPG I guess?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 02, 2016, 04:12:12 pm »

Hey I would be tremendously grateful if someone suggested me a decent dungeon crawler game for PC, featuring complex character development system and party management, rewarding process of grinding (if possible) and challenging battles, great variety of the stuff and high replay value? Much like Wizardry 8 but not from the series, not a Might and Magic incarnation or either of the Legend of Grimrock games. Not necessarily set in a dungeon, and not necessarily featuring grid-based movement.

PS since a certain point in time, I'm aware of Grimoire, and I really can't wait for it finally released.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 04:23:41 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 02, 2016, 04:22:00 pm »

I really liked the diablo-clone "Torchlight 2"  the only party management is multiplayer, but it ticks most of your other boxes. 

The character customization is surprisingly rich in options and unexpected synergies.

What about this new trend of tavern keeper games where you hire and manage adventurers indirectly?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 02, 2016, 04:35:24 pm »

Hey I would be tremendously grateful if someone suggested me a decent dungeon crawler game for PC, featuring complex character development system and party management, rewarding process of grinding (if possible) and challenging battles, great variety of the stuff and high replay value? Much like Wizardry 8 but not from the series, not a Might and Magic incarnation or either of the Legend of Grimrock games. Not necessarily set in a dungeon, and not necessarily featuring grid-based movement.

PS since a certain point in time, I'm aware of Grimoire, and I really can't wait for it finally released.

Gauntlet. #oppositeday

More seriously, that's a lot of requirements, but maybe Path of Exile is close? It's worth noting that the only party management is what you do with your friends when you play with them (and with the shared bank if you make a guild or w/e).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 02, 2016, 04:48:39 pm »

I really liked the diablo-clone "Torchlight 2"  the only party management is multiplayer, but it ticks most of your other boxes. 

The character customization is surprisingly rich in options and unexpected synergies.

What about this new trend of tavern keeper games where you hire and manage adventurers indirectly?

Admittedly, I never enjoyed Diablo-like games, and I specifically want to play a dungeon crawler game that lets you manage a whole party rather than a single character. Offering turn-based combat is also vital to a game that meets my request.

Regarding those 'tavern keeper games', I've barely ever heard or played any of this kind, lol I didn't even know this is a genre.

2Shadowlord, I played PoE more than one and a half years ago, and was sucking at it all the while. Still not what I'm looking for, sadly.

Alright, what can you say about Stranger of Sword City? And Elminage Gothic?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 05:02:01 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 02, 2016, 05:13:43 pm »

specifically want to play a dungeon crawler game that lets you manage a whole party rather than a single character. Offering turn-based combat is also vital to a game that meets my request.

Pioneer Roguelike is something of a space crawl, was made in Basic a few years ago, but is fairly complex.  First instance i'm aware of that essentially uses your party members as hitpoints.  You still manage and upgrade them, but loosing redshirts is essentially like losing HP.

I feel like I've seen other roguelike-likes copy the concept since, but cant think of names.

Regarding those 'tavern keeper games', I've barely ever heard or played any of this kind, lol I didn't even know this is a genre.

I'm looking for examples but coming up short.  I feel like I keep reading news about indie games coming out where you play a shop or tavern keeper and recruit adventurers whom go out and mine the local dungeon, and you buy their trash loot and sell them tools.

nevermind that, i guess.

How about something like Darkest Dungeon?
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 179