Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331304 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1080 on: April 28, 2016, 11:08:09 am »

Would Red Orchestra 2 fit the bill?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/

Never really played it much but it seemed to have a decent realism focus.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 28, 2016, 12:08:54 pm »

RO2 DOES fit the bill. I highly recommend it.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 10, 2016, 03:45:15 pm »

Do any of you know of any 'Slice of Life' or 'life sim' games that aren't The Sims or Tomodachi Life?
I'm not terribly fussy at this point, the genre seems heartbreakingly underpopulated. :(   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 10, 2016, 04:45:38 pm »

"The Guild" is a little bit slice-of-life.

There is also "Bully" from rockstar studios.  By most accounts it is a good game and not at all like the sort of gratuitous violence found in their GTA titles.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 10, 2016, 06:12:54 pm »

"The Guild" is a little bit slice-of-life.

The Guild 2 has more going on with the family side of things, but is in general a mess even with community patches (included in the Steam version if you activate them through the "beta" menu.) If you do end up deciding on that (you probably shouldn't) buy The Guild 2: Renaissance, as it is the only one still getting updates and includes pretty much every mechanic from the base game and other expansion.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 13, 2016, 12:30:42 am »

Would Red Orchestra 2 fit the bill?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/

Never really played it much but it seemed to have a decent realism focus.
I would warn potential buyers that I found that incredibly frustrating to play due to an overzealous suppression system and an unwillingness to make concessions to usability/fun.  E.g. there are a limited number of classes that can have upgraded weapons in MP and they tend to be things like sniper rifles and automatic weapons that can chew threw large numbers of players at chokes and the like.  Nothing is done to mitigate this, the players who have those weapons are simply more powerful and they are awarded arbitrarily.

Haven't tried the SP, maybe that makes up for it.  If you put up with OPFP you can probably deal with RO2.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 13, 2016, 12:54:32 am »

One of the biggest things I've learned to do in Red Orchestra 2 is to keep your head down. Crouch run from cover to cover, use the dive to prone and don't stick your head up if someone else was shot nearby. I think all of the maps are focused on taking and holding areas rather than killing enemies so you should move with your squad leader (they have a green name) as you can respawn nearby them.
Advancing from cover should be done first by throwing a smoke grenade to cover your advance, something that squad leaders have. Squad tactics help a lot with survivability with people working together to clear out buildings and cover advances. Though, I'm sure I don't need to mention that without a dedicated team that's up in the air whether team work will occur.
I have had games on servers with good leaders.

An interesting mechanic is your character can suffer from panic. If someone dies near you or a bullet hits nearby, your screen will shake and blur.

I personally always play as a standard rifleman. The rifles are pretty much sniper rifles at the distances in the game and you can adjust the iron sights by using the mouse wheel to compensate for distance.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1087 on: May 13, 2016, 02:20:47 am »

-snip-
Sniper rifles are fucking bullshit. There isn't a damn thing anyone can do to detect or eliminate a sniper who is using his scope to his advantage unless you're also a sniper. They make the bigger maps really unfun to play on. Snipers are really fun to play as, but suck to play against.

Squad leaders carrying SMGs are fine I guess since they're very vulnerable outdoors and as a riflemen I can just throw a frag at him if he's indoors. MG users can be quite strong in very close quarters but I've never actually been killed by someone hipfiring an MG, though I've heard of some people getting great sprees using them.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 13, 2016, 03:33:03 am »

An interesting mechanic is your character can suffer from panic. If someone dies near you or a bullet hits nearby, your screen will shake and blur.
If by "interesting" you mean "complete immersion breaking, unrealistic, and unfun"... sure.  Its real interesting.

But I remember posting a rant about that in the actual thread so whatever.  Clearly some people who play RO2 are OK with it, but I don't see the appeal.

Edit: Also deadzone is terrible and it should feel terrible.  The guy who runs Shacktac, who was a firearms instructor for the marines, has gone on record saying deadzone is nothing like aiming an actual gun and less realistic then standard FPS controls.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:33:09 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1089 on: May 13, 2016, 04:06:24 am »

IMO RO2 has one of the best implementations out there of suppression as a game mechanic, right next to Insurgency. If it were me, I would only want bullets passing your head to make you "flinch" by jerking your aim a tiny bit. In RO2 I seem to remember that it would make your weapon sway for a couple seconds once the fire had stopped and that was a little annoying, and in general I don't like effects that fuck with my FOV or color perception or do any vignetting. I think games should do more to make the player panic by simulating being under fire realistically rather than mechanically fucking with your controls. I know it's terrifying being shot at in Arma 2 because death is punishing and because the sound of bullets snapping past is startling.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 15, 2016, 09:23:46 pm »

So... I'm looking for a game where I can build a castle. The obvious answer is Minecraft, and I'm mighty tempted to go back to it, BUT what always gets me is the... futility of it. There isn't a real point to building one, I LOVE building, but it kills me to see my structures gathering dust on some build world or empty server.

So what I'm looking for is a game where I can build castles and structures, etc. and have them used by NPCs or players.

Alternatively, any mods that add NPCs which do stuff in Minecraft or that make the world feel a little more alive? A reason to build a settlement, etc. etc.

EDIT: Really anything that combines building with some RPG elements. I just want to see what I build come alive in game.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:27:19 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 15, 2016, 11:12:18 pm »

Mods: Millenaire, or something?  Iunno.

Theoretically Fallout 4 has building.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 16, 2016, 02:40:45 am »

What about games like "Stronghold" or the old "Castles"

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 16, 2016, 04:23:41 am »

Dwarf Fortress :P

Stronghold seemed cool the few times I played it.

edit: Dungeon Keeper? I think it works if you're not hung up on the castle aesthetic.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 16, 2016, 04:32:38 am »

The Sims?
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 179