Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331256 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1005 on: March 15, 2016, 01:20:52 pm »

Arguably any 4X game lets you play as a bad guy, especially sci-fi/fantasy themed ones. Age of Wonders 3 is my current game of choice for that.

And I personally found Overlord a bit disappointing in that respect. Sure you're a bad guy, but you mainly kill other bad guys. While I dig grey on grey themes, evil vs evil is somehow less satisfying than evil vs good. Alas, Overlord is firmly in the evil vs evil camp. It does some cool things though, and if you don't mind the theme it's worth a go.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 15, 2016, 01:24:02 pm »

The same studio also made Republic: The Revolution, a "take over a country" game that's also flawed.

I really wanted to like that game.  I was so excited when I read about it, how you could decide to assassinate priests if they were working against your interests and how it had dynamic characteristics with how the political agendas and pawns and things evolved.

But I couldn't get into it.  I couldn't work out the interface, couldn't find a pause feature.  Not sure if I gave up before the end of the first day, or if a few days went by without me figuring out how to go to any meetings or get anything done.

I might have gotten one task done by sheer luck, and then never figured out how to duplicate it.

I like complex games, but this just had an awful UI design.  I like Dwarf Fortress, but this thing was impenetrable.  At least DF has a menu!

Dungeon Keeper

KeeperRL is a pretty cool remake.  ascii version is free, tile version is cheap.  still under development, but totally playable right now.  Has some dynamic map generation, so is fairly replayable.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 15, 2016, 07:40:01 pm »

is there a game where you play genuine bad guy, and try to take over a city(or the country or the planet) preferably with a fantasy feel.
Tropico lets you play an island dictator, like Cuba.
Pirates! (as in, Sid Meier) lets you play a freebooting rogue who can capture towns and pillage shipping ... but the captured town flies the flag of the European nation of your choice. So you don't actually run things de jure.
Port Royale is another pirate option with a different design approach. More building and control.
Windward is a procedural co-op pirate sim.
The Guild is a medieval business sim that involves sabotage and espionage.

All of these are borderline on all of your needs, but the most relevant answers were already given.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 21, 2016, 08:24:44 am »

are there any games similar to dwarf fortress's worldgen? im interested in a game where you can colonize and build cities/settlement and wage war, a dynamic 4x if you will. im not interested in things with fixed provinces like eu4 or total war. i always found DF's world simulation very interesting. i know its kind of vague, but maybe someone knows of one

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 21, 2016, 10:52:16 am »

A lot of 4x's have customisable random world generation (the Civ series for example), but I guess you meant something more advanced?

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 21, 2016, 11:07:07 am »

is there a game where you play genuine bad guy, and try to take over a city(or the country or the planet) preferably with a fantasy feel.

I have been replaying some Mount and Blade:Warband in anticipation of Bannerlord, with The Last Days mod that makes it LOTR flavored. It add some interesting mechanics and allow you to be the bad side, like Mordor or Isengard. You get inferior but more numerous troops with wargs and trolls. Pretty good mod, much recommended.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1011 on: March 21, 2016, 02:10:29 pm »

It's not a 4X, but Ultima Ratio Regum is very in depth in the worldgen stuff. There's a thread on the forum here.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1012 on: March 21, 2016, 02:15:33 pm »

Anyone know any single-player RPGs with lots and lots of stats for you to grind up? I'm talking like Rune Factory levels here (you have dozens of stats; you have a stat for SLEEPING).

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 21, 2016, 02:18:46 pm »

Anyone know any single-player RPGs with lots and lots of stats for you to grind up? I'm talking like Rune Factory levels here (you have dozens of stats; you have a stat for SLEEPING).
Elona does that in a way.  You'd want to play the Elona Plus version fyi.
Nom nom nom

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 21, 2016, 02:50:08 pm »

Daggerfall has dozens of skills that can be improved; Morrowind has a few less but is actually something a human might want to play at length... but you probably know about them both. So... Wasteland 2 has a lot of stats and skills. It's like the original Fallouts in that regard.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1015 on: March 21, 2016, 03:17:59 pm »

Daggerfall has dozens of skills that can be improved; Morrowind has a few less but is actually something a human might want to play at length... but you probably know about them both. So... Wasteland 2 has a lot of stats and skills. It's like the original Fallouts in that regard.
Yeah I have Daggerfall and I mean to play Morrowind. I've played the crap out of the original Fallout games but the problem is that you can't max your stats in those games, so I'm assuming Wasteland 2 is the same way. I liked Oblivion because you could grind your skills all the way up.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 21, 2016, 03:46:56 pm »

You should definitely play Morrowind. For depth, it's the best game in the series. Wasteland 2 you have a party of 1-7 who can collectively max the stats.

What's the draw for you in grinding and maxing stats?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 21, 2016, 03:48:36 pm »

It's tactical moreso than RPG, but the Disgaea series can be very grindy. Effectively unlimited levels AFAIK, whereas the main story campaign caps at about level 100? Even items have their own levels.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1018 on: March 21, 2016, 04:11:35 pm »

What's the draw for you in grinding and maxing stats?
Not totally sure. I liked it in Oblivion because I was getting stronger, but mostly because it let me jump higher. I liked it in Rune Factory because there were so many, so there was a lot to think about doing. I think I like mundane skills over combat ones. I play Runescape just to mine things.

It's tactical moreso than RPG, but the Disgaea series can be very grindy. Effectively unlimited levels AFAIK, whereas the main story campaign caps at about level 100? Even items have their own levels.
Yeah I have Disgaea on my PSV. I dunno it doesn't feel quite as good as FFT on the PSX. FFT can get tedious if you let your party members die but in Disgaea the tedium is built in. Plus the enjoyment is kind of lost for me if there's not some kind max (though I like it to be high), though apparently it doesn't actually take that long to hit 9999 if you play ideally.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1019 on: March 21, 2016, 04:51:00 pm »

I will check out Elona+. Wasteland 2 is already on my Steam wishlist because I liked Fallout: Tactics and I own Disgaea...3 I think..
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 179