Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331248 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #975 on: February 14, 2016, 02:47:31 pm »

"Papers Please" is well liked, but is on PC. Seems a bit similar to what you're after.
One wheel short of a wagon

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 14, 2016, 02:58:52 pm »

I actually played the *hell* out of Papers, Please. All Glory To Arstotzka.

Actually, in my own quest to find what I want, I just searched "Panic" in the 3DS E-shop, and found another game that fits my criteria: Fire Panic, where you're two fire trucks and you have to efficiently maneuver through streets in order to save a city that is constantly burning down. It's laughable how much fire there is to put out in this game: Homes, public parks, Baseball stadiums, hospitals, warehouses, and what appears to be a chemical refinery are just always exploding into flames, in addition to a hostile alien race that occasionally visits to Independence Day a building or three. I'm imagining they came in peace, but then we tried plugging 12 Christmas trees into the same power outlet on their spaceship and started an electrical fire, so now they just come by to zap our shit as payback.

Also, I'd like to mention that all three of these games essentially have very similar gameplay, and all have "Panic" in their name, but all three are made by different developers. I just found that odd.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 14, 2016, 06:58:39 pm »

I imagine it's like "tycoon" games like used to be really big. A lot of people working to certain conventions but around different themes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #978 on: February 15, 2016, 01:09:55 pm »

The old Maxis game SimCopter is kinda like Fire Panic (right down to the aliens :P) except with a helicopter, and more variety than just fires (although fires feature prominently). Might be worth checking out.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 15, 2016, 09:40:37 pm »

There's a few Game and Watch Galleries (ports of Game Boy ports of Game & Watch games) on the Virtual Console you might like. They don't introduce new mechanics as you go on, but they fit the criteria exactly otherwise. Plus, they're dead cheap--you get 4 games, each with 2 different versions ("Classic", a straight port of the G&W game, and "Modern", which has updated, more fluid, graphics), each version of which has 3 difficulty settings (Easy, Hard, Very Hard)--for a couple bucks. They're not as "involved" as, say, Papers, Please, but they're great time-killers.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 15, 2016, 09:45:35 pm »

For the 3DS:

I've become oddly interested in what I'm affectionately dubbing "Minimum Wage Job Simulators" like 'Johnny's Payday Panic' and 'Brunch Panic', the object of both games being to serve customers as fast as possible, who become increasingly numerous and demanding, all the while juggling an increasingly large and complex number of game mechanics that all act as more moving parts to keep track of, where all the skill of the game is fast thinking/prioritization/multitasking.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other games of this nature, preferably on the 3DS.

Sounds like those Diner Dash games that were on the PC
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 15, 2016, 10:54:53 pm »

The old Maxis game SimCopter is kinda like Fire Panic (right down to the aliens :P) except with a helicopter, and more variety than just fires (although fires feature prominently). Might be worth checking out.
Ever better if you combine it with SimCity2000. You can import the cities from that game and it's more fun when you get to actually fly around your city.
Kinda miss that interconnectivity between titles... you could do something similar in ScimCity4 but it's jsut not the same when you play from the same perspective.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 16, 2016, 04:08:44 am »

There is some civilian helicopter sim that I got on an ancient humble bundle.  I think you can do most of those things?  Looked cool, but never installed.

Take on Helicopters, I think.

there is also some sort of sim copter 2014 "search and rescue" thing.

SC 4 did indeed natively  incorporate the flying and driving parts that were separate games in SC2K.  I think there was a key combo to change into first-person mode, but it was hardly a sim.. WASD style flight if I remember.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 19, 2016, 11:49:31 am »

I'm looking for games where getting hit matters, forcing you to play more intelligently. Games that have a damage model in which most hits will affect you, for example games like war thunder, silent hunter, Independence War 2, the Mechwarrior series. It doesn't have to be a realtime sim either, something like the Front Mission series of tactical games also fits the bill. Anything where smart play is a must because damage is meaningful. Graphics don't matter, it could be old, could be ugly, even ascii, as long as the gameplay is good I'm happy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:05:41 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 19, 2016, 12:57:16 pm »

I'm looking for games where getting hit matters, forcing you to play more intelligently. Games that have a damage model in which most hits will affect you

two 'rougelikes' come to mind, though I dont know if either is actually anything like 'rogue' rather just indie with ascii / text.

Armored Commander is a tank sim:  http://www.armouredcommander.com/

Sub Commander is a sub sim:  http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202304

Both have threads here.

In the vein of mechwarrior 2 (and all the other various battltech games you might find) there was also Heavy Gear which was a pretty cool robot game.

I'm also a big fan of Mission Force: Cyberstorm, which was a turn-based game set in the Starsiege universe.  Damaged mattered within a mission, and losses mattered between missions.

I just started playing Fallen Enchantress, which is a pretty good Master of Magic spiritual-successor sort of thing.  Or Heroes of Might and Magic like, if that reference works better for you.  Any way, taking hits on a hero isnt a huge deal until you lose him -- but taking hits on a squad usually means losing a guy which reduces your effectiveness and causes cascading problems.

The original (pre vegas) Rainbow Six games were pretty great.  If you or one of your guys took a hit, they'd either be out or injured and would be limping, reduced aim, not available for the next mission, etc.  Perfect rescue but Ding got shot in the gut and is down for a month?  RELOAD!

Man, I'll be watching this space for other recommendations.  I hates the common generic hitpoint systems and luvs me some damage with consequences.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 19, 2016, 01:18:23 pm »

I'm in the market for a game to play whilst listening to podcasts. Preferably, it should be fairly repetitive and monotonous, with the option of turning off the volume, something to mindlessly play along to people chatting.

Examples that I've played:
Minecraft
Kerbal Space Program
Euro Truck Simulator
Oolite
OpenTTD

Please, no MMOs or multiplayer games as my current internet is too unstable.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 19, 2016, 01:32:33 pm »

I'm in the market for a game to play whilst listening to podcasts. Preferably, it should be fairly repetitive and monotonous, with the option of turning off the volume, something to mindlessly play along to people chatting.

Minecraft
Kerbal Space Program
Euro Truck Simulator
Oolite
OpenTTD

http://www.gazillionaire.com/index.php

Try out Gazillionaire, where you run a Space Trading Company trying to outcompete several other companies. It's really cool, and all the gameplay revolves around just interacting with menus, so it's very slow-paced but at the same time being really entertaining. It has some of the most bizarre artwork I've ever seen, but that adds to the charm of it I feel. There's a demo version you can play for free, and it's actually a really substantial demo as far as the size of it goes. I recommend it.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 19, 2016, 05:54:38 pm »

Minecraft
Kerbal Space Program
Euro Truck Simulator
Oolite
OpenTTD

I use Mini Metro for just that.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #988 on: February 19, 2016, 06:39:53 pm »

Minecraft
Kerbal Space Program
Euro Truck Simulator
Oolite
OpenTTD

Do you like RTS? Most RTS are pretty good for just wasting time. I like to play Men of War: Assault Squad 2, Age of Empires 2, Commandos 2, Homeworld. Aside from that, No More Room in Hell is a pretty fun free to play FPS about shooting zombies and once you learn the levels there's not much thinking involved.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:41:47 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 19, 2016, 06:42:34 pm »

Minecraft
Kerbal Space Program
Euro Truck Simulator
Oolite
OpenTTD

Cities in Motion (The first one) I think is pretty good for this, just set up some routes and let the trams or metros do their thing while listening to whatever your listening to.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 179