Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331238 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #960 on: January 17, 2016, 09:29:58 am »

TF2.
Definitely.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 22, 2016, 07:57:35 pm »

Looking for an RPG/roguelike/similar that'll work on a very low tier laptop (bought in 2008, was decent then), yet not utilize ASCII graphics. It also needs to work either through hot keys (like Liberal Crime Squad) or have full mouse support. Examples of what I'm looking for are RPGMaker games, NEO Scavenger, Tales of Maj'Eyal and The Banner Saga. Good gameplay is more important than the narrative, though I'll not complain if the game is solid in both departments.

While old party-based RPG's like Baldur's Gate, Fallout and Planescape are awesome and no doubt works on my laptop, I'm not interested in these as I've already played the ones I've found interesting.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 22, 2016, 08:25:45 pm »

Gearhead

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 22, 2016, 08:27:09 pm »

Bionic Dues is free for a short while longer:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/bionicdues_freegame
Party based roguelike with some customization thrown in. It's pretty fun.

Invisible Inc? I'm not 100% sure if it fits your system requirements, but I don't imagine its far off. Isometric turn-based stealth gaming in procedurally generated corporate offices. Brilliant.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 03, 2016, 06:55:54 pm »

So I'm looking for a strategy game with a good overworld thing going on. You know, you fight instanced battles with some semblance of continuity between them while taking over a larger map. Kinda like the Battle for middle earth campaigns, or the later Dawn of war campaigns. But something that's prefferably freeform. Also no Total War, that's all fine and fun but not what I'm looking for atm.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 03, 2016, 07:02:49 pm »

Looking for an RPG/roguelike/similar that'll work on a very low tier laptop (bought in 2008, was decent then), yet not utilize ASCII graphics. It also needs to work either through hot keys (like Liberal Crime Squad) or have full mouse support. Examples of what I'm looking for are RPGMaker games, NEO Scavenger, Tales of Maj'Eyal and The Banner Saga. Good gameplay is more important than the narrative, though I'll not complain if the game is solid in both departments.

While old party-based RPG's like Baldur's Gate, Fallout and Planescape are awesome and no doubt works on my laptop, I'm not interested in these as I've already played the ones I've found interesting.
I assume you know about FTL?

So I'm looking for a strategy game with a good overworld thing going on. You know, you fight instanced battles with some semblance of continuity between them while taking over a larger map. Kinda like the Battle for middle earth campaigns, or the later Dawn of war campaigns. But something that's prefferably freeform. Also no Total War, that's all fine and fun but not what I'm looking for atm.
Star Wars: Empire at War sounds a lot like that. It's a decade old at this point and some people find land battles more annoying then fun, but it's a good game.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 04, 2016, 01:02:13 am »

Looking for an Open World/War Game. Any era, but I want to feel like a cog in the machine, with the opportunity through luck and/or skill to be a badass.

I've got Arma 3, Planetside 2, Mount and Blade: Warband, and Running With Rifles. RWR fits the mold I'm looking for best, and PS2 falters only due to it being multiplayer. Not necessarily a bad thing, but my internet sometimes hates me. I'd prefer something with guns, but I am definitely not opposed to any game that'd scratch this itch some more.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 04, 2016, 04:45:02 am »

Looking for an Open World/War Game. Any era, but I want to feel like a cog in the machine, with the opportunity through luck and/or skill to be a badass.

Not a perfect recommendation, but I must mention Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars. It is MP only (it has bots, maybe?) team versus team Napoleonic warfare. Muskets, cavalry, cannons, bayonets. 1-shot kills abound, but we're talking muskets so accuracy and rate of fire are pretty bad. Due to lethality, you're very much a cog but you can pull off some cool stunts if you're good or stupidly lucky. Interesting take on the online shooter.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: February 04, 2016, 05:47:02 am »

The original Battle Realms had this IIRC.

Ak-Sai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 04, 2016, 04:38:42 pm »

Could someone recommend me a multiplayer game in which you can participate in some kind of interesting quests/make interesting decisions and solve dark mysteries? Something like tabletop Arkham Horror.

Thanks.
Feed 'em please)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 04, 2016, 05:21:10 pm »

Slightly older in concept would be Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (SNES), its prequels/sequesl Tactics: Ogre (N64). I didn't play much of these outside of Ogre Battle, though. Fairly restrictive in terms of what territories you get to attack, and combat itself is fairly hands off.

Emperor: Battle for Dune plays out more closely to DoW's expansion world maps. Pretty freeform.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:26:04 pm by Niveras »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #971 on: February 05, 2016, 05:18:36 am »

Rise of Nations has an assortment of 'Conquer the World' campaigns, which play a bit like Diplomacy on the grand level, but battles resolve on a tactical map.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 08, 2016, 10:44:52 pm »

This is less of a 'game' request and more of a 'Minecraft server' request which I hope is fine considering that some of the top-end MC servers are separate games in their own right...
Though if you know of a standalone game that fits these criteria as well, then let me know.
(worst case scenario I'll ask in the Minecraft thread I guess.)

I want some kind of minimalist PvP/CTF "You have X minutes to gather resources, craft stuff and build a base w/ defenses around your objective then go and assault your enemy and capture/defeat their objective while protecting your own objective." server that doesn't throw a bunch of 'purchasable perks/different classes/cosmetics' P2W/pay2havefun BS in my face and overload me with info. Just pure vanilla experience, where everyone starts equal.
Something along the lines of The Walls map, or games-wise, the original Ace of Spades (now Build and Shoot, but that has gone to hell...). I tried Blockstorm (which while neat doesn't really have much focus on the building/crafting side of things) and briefly wanted to check out the Hypixel server but again, the extra layer of "an odd interface that uses inventory items to show your profile and stuff coupled with the classes+perks+other bonuses" was just blegh to me.

I also tried out a Minetest server that did exactly that, but Minetest...Well, it's not fit for PvP of that kind. Not to mention that some of the people on the server were immature at best.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 10:47:38 pm by Maks »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 08, 2016, 10:50:43 pm »

Yeah, the minigame servers are entirely different animals than vanilla.  That'd actually be kinda cool.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: February 14, 2016, 09:42:52 am »

For the 3DS:

I've become oddly interested in what I'm affectionately dubbing "Minimum Wage Job Simulators" like 'Johnny's Payday Panic' and 'Brunch Panic', the object of both games being to serve customers as fast as possible, who become increasingly numerous and demanding, all the while juggling an increasingly large and complex number of game mechanics that all act as more moving parts to keep track of, where all the skill of the game is fast thinking/prioritization/multitasking.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other games of this nature, preferably on the 3DS.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 179